AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chap used the included thermal "cement" glue in the cooler's kit, that wasn't meant to be applied on the GPU at all, but only for the memory chips and VRMs.
Ugh, no way I'd use permanent cement on any components on a graphics card... Thermally conductive tape is fine for these things, and you can remove everything afterwards too. This means moving the cooler to a new card becomes possible, instead of having to buy a new one because all the RAM/VRM sinks are now perpetually stuck to the old one... :p

Ugh, no way I'd use permanent cement on any components on a graphics card... Thermally conductive tape is fine for these things, and you can remove everything afterwards too. This means moving the cooler to a new card becomes possible, instead of having to buy a new one because all the RAM/VRM sinks are now perpetually stuck to the old one... :p
The glue they provide with the cooler was really meant for the tiny MOSFETs found on many boards, where a typical adhesive thermal tape wouldn't hold even a small heat-sink in place. I don't recommend it for the memory chips, though -- it's an overkill and quite dangerous to remove the heat-sinks later. It also leaves a lot of hardened residue on the surface.

the tiny MOSFETs found on many boards, where a typical adhesive thermal tape wouldn't hold even a small heat-sink in place.
It would, if your sink had screws for the board holes present on most cards. :) Or attached to the main sink in some way.

It would, if your sink had screws for the board holes present on most cards. :) Or attached to the main sink in some way.
http://i.imgur.com/xgBSfID.jpg
^Part of my past experience on ghetto cooling mods. That was one of my old Radeon HD 4870s, almost destroyed in an effort to keep the infamously hot MOSFETs a bit cooler. Thermal density was a bitch with those tiny SMDs and no thermal tape would stick hard enough on these.

http://i.imgur.com/xgBSfID.jpg
^Part of my past experience on ghetto cooling mods. That was one of my old Radeon HD 4870s, almost destroyed in an effort to keep the infamously hot MOSFETs a bit cooler. Thermal density was a bitch with those tiny SMDs and no thermal tape would stick hard enough on these.

I love this. I did something similar with a GF4 Ti 4600 once, but worse. I really should have taken a picture.

Meh I'm a bit disappointed by the overclocking achieved with that custom model. At 225W TDP I was counting on a solid 1400MHz, but the most they pulled out of the card was 180W anyways..
Why did none of the reviewers touch the vcore? Is it inaccessible like it was with the Fury?

Meh I'm a bit disappointed by the overclocking achieved with that custom model. At 225W TDP I was counting on a solid 1400MHz, but the most they pulled out of the card was 180W anyways..
Why did none of the reviewers touch the vcore? Is it inaccessible like it was with the Fury?

Vcore shoulld be even avaiable on the Crimson OC panels.

Well i dont know for other review att this point, but TPU seems have a rather standard and simple approach of the overclocking.

Overclocking results listed in this section are achieved with the default fan and voltage settings as defined in the VGA BIOS. We choose this approach as it is the most realistic scenario for most users.

For overclocking on the RX 480, we applied the same percentage increase to each of the eight adjustable clock levels; this approach seems to provide the highest performance at the highest stability.

Its clear, that, they will not go high this way.

Last edited:
Vcore shoulld be even avaiable on the Crimson OC panels.

Well i dont know for other review att this point, but TPU seems have a rather standard and simple approach of the overclocking.

Its clear, that, they will not go high this way. ( Honestly, i dont even know if they know what they do. )

They use the same overclocking method in every review to keep the comparison fair.

I'm pretty sure W1zzard knows what he is doing.

They use the same overclocking method in every review to keep the comparison fair.
How do you keep overclocking "fair" though? The point is to get the max out of each individual board and see how fast it goes, not hold back performance to "be fair" to all other boards. That sounds like a very strange OC strategy... ;)

We know that Vega 10 (GP104 competitor) is Q1 2017 but what about Vega 11/Big Vega? Any rumors pointing out size, FLOPs etc? I feel for gaming Vega 11/Big Vega will do better at higher resolutions & DX12 than GP102.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back