Nvidia and Abit split?

Uttar said:
4. NVIDIA accepts to let Abit still sell their motherboards even if they do ATI GPUs.

What happens when Abit want to make motherboards with ATI chipsets? Does Nvidia drive that business away too?

Shows the geniuses at Nvidia still haven't admitted that the market is changing... and moving on without them... :rolleyes:

No idea - but I don't think NVIDIA would react as badly. After all, they never had as much of a "position of dominance" in the motherboard market as they did in the GPU one.

Uttar

Uttar said:
No idea - but I don't think NVIDIA would react as badly. After all, they never had as much of a "position of dominance" in the motherboard market as they did in the GPU one.

Well Nvidia obviously have no idea what their position is, so who knows what they might try? Instead of sharing ABit's GPU customers with ATI and keeping a foot in the door, their petulance has given all of ABit's business to ATI on a plate.

It doesn't sound like Nvidia have realised they cannot dictate what other products their customers sell, or that they are no longer in the dominant market position.

Uttar said:
True, but the nforce2 is fairly well placed in the AMD side of the market. 10 times better then ATI's nonexistant motherboard market.

Slides said:
Uttar said:
True, but the nforce2 is fairly well placed in the AMD side of the market. 10 times better then ATI's nonexistant motherboard market.

Right, but if they lose Abit there, they lose market not only to ATI, but also to VIA. So it's a much more complex situation than today's GPU Duopoly IMO!

Uttar

"The growth in our desktop business is a result of the strength of our current products. The increase in the number of ATI's AIB partners is a result of the strength of our roadmap", said Chris Evenden, Director of ATI PR, "AIBs get to see all the graphics vendors' product roadmaps, so adding, or even switching to ATI, is a vote of confidence in where we're going, and our ability to deliver on our promises".

DaveBaumann said:
"The growth in our desktop business is a result of the strength of our current products. The increase in the number of ATI's AIB partners is a result of the strength of our roadmap", said Chris Evenden, Director of ATI PR, "AIBs get to see all the graphics vendors' product roadmaps, so adding, or even switching to ATI, is a vote of confidence in where we're going, and our ability to deliver on our promises".

Good quote that :)

So is that saying the R420 will be a better product than the NV40? It just might be that the 'huge die size' of the NV40 has made the cards based on this technology too expensive to manufacture with any kind of decent profit margin.

It does bode well for ATI for the price/performance crown, and possibly for outright performance in the next generation.

It'd be remarkable if they're genuinely that confident in something that was developed in a relatively short timeframe. ATi have really got their egg-on these days. :p

MuFu.

Does anyone actually know ATI's Roadmap? Have one of those nifty little colored charts even? That'd be cool.

Ratchet said:
Does anyone actually know ATI's Roadmap? Have one of those nifty little colored charts even? That'd be cool.

I don't think I've seen one since before R400 was canned and R420 was added to the roadmap.

Ratchet said:
No, but you gave me a brilliant bloody idea for making up one! A bit of a parody comparing ATi & nVidia's roadmap, mebbe I'll even toss in XGI... :LOL:

Driverheaven said:
Motherboard maker expands nForce2, adds nForce3

January 13, 2004 - When enthusiasts are looking for the ultimate AMD platform, many turn to ABIT's award winning line of nForce2-based motherboards. Now, following the overwhelming success of its NF7-S and AN7 motherboards, ABIT is proud to announce the expansion of its nForce2 motherboard lineup, and the development of its first motherboard based on NVIDIA's nForce3 chipset.

Why would it make sense to part ways with nVidia in the motherboard chipset market at this time? The situation for nVidia isn't the same as in the graphics card market, unless they plan to completely stop evolving from where they are now (which seems about as unlikely as something could possibly be).

I don't see why that announcement is surprising.

demalion said:
Why would it make sense to part ways with nVidia in the motherboard chipset market at this time? The situation for nVidia isn't the same as in the graphics card market, unless they plan to completely stop evolving from where they are now (which seems about as unlikely as something could possibly be).

Cos the original article that stated the breakup was occurring said that Abit wouldn't be producing nVidia graphics cards OR motherboards.

elroy said:
demalion said:

Cos the original article that stated the breakup was occurring said that Abit wouldn't be producing nVidia graphics cards OR motherboards.

You have to consider the source. The Inquirer's facts are questionable at the best of times.

AlphaWolf said:
elroy said:
demalion said:

You have to consider the source. The Inquirer's facts are questionable at the best of times.

I realise that. However, I think they were the only ones to say that the partnership between Abit and nVidia was completely over before the official statement from Abit. So there was nothing else to go on.

Back