AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't have been the first time that this is solved by a simple shader rewrite. I don't know the precise software architecture, but it is safe to assume that there is at least some type of hardware abstraction / driver layer, right?
The problem comes from the fact that Neo is supposed to play unpatched PS4-games too

RX 460 AMD Labs benchies

AMD-Radeon-RX-460-Performance.vorschau2.jpg

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/amd-ei...en-zu-viel-performance-fuer-die-radeon-rx-460

1.7 to 2x faster than a full Bonaire, which has the same number of CUs and clocks at 1.1GHz?

Unless this P11 is clocking close to 2GHz, those numbers are ridiculous..

EDIT: Looking at these Overwatch scores, I wonder what settings they used to bring the R7 260X down to 30 FPS. That card does 40 FPS at 1440p and ultra settings..

Last edited by a moderator:
Live patching?
If code for the current PS4 uses functions and formats dropped by GCN3, doing it without a more global developer evaluation might break something. The performance or behavior might not come out as expected, although AMD must have felt the formats and features it removed were not critical.

One comparatively arcane distinction between the PS4's IP level and GCN3/4 is that wavefront GPR allocation granularity changed.
http://gpuopen.com/amdgcn-assembly/
In current GCN3 hardware, VGPRs are allocated in groups of 4 registers and SGPRs in groups of 16. Previous generations (GCN1 and GCN2) have a VGPR granularity of 4 registers and an SGPR granularity of 8 registers.
It would be awkward in some high-occupancy case to find that the SGPR load for a scalar-light shader has automatically doubled, although that might be what hardware customization is for.

Good performance for a 100 bucks 75W card. Although iirc Pros like to use 144Hz monitors, ergo play at 144FPS. I also dont really understand the "Esport" focus on a budget card.

Good performance for a 100 bucks 75W card. Although iirc Pros like to use 144Hz monitors, ergo play at 144FPS. I also dont really understand the "Esport" focus on a budget card.

Not all Pro's or aspiring Pro's make a lot of money. The ones that are successful can get sponsorships. Depending on their sponsor they can get free hardware (sponsored by an IHV or AIB, for example). But most "professional" players don't make a lot of money, and people that are attempting to break into the pro leagues don't often have much money (high school and college students).

Hack many of the Korean Pro players got their start in PC Bangs because they couldn't afford their own PC.

Regards,
SB

And as we all know from the numerous Nvidia users saying it over and over. The reference design doesn't matter, only custom AIB cards should be used for benchmarking and comparison. So maybe the PCIE thing will finally be put to rest.

Probably not. And I myself still think reference should be compared to reference in benchmarks with custom boards ignored for launch reviews.

Regards,
SB

I am a supporter of custom AIB over reference models myself, whether AMD or Nvidia.
One alarm bell with that Asus marketing, they specifically only show 4k.....
And with interesting fps even for reference in that Asus slide; majority will be using this card at 1080p, and some at 1440p, with niche (in comparison) being mGPU 4k or high fps 1440p.
Cheers

Note: GPU core power comes from the PCIe slot and through the external PCIe power connector

Isn't that in contention with the STRIX claim of 0% power from PCIe slot for GPU?

The chap used the included thermal "cement" glue in the cooler's kit, that wasn't meant to be applied on the GPU at all, but only for the memory chips and VRMs.
This cooler (Accelero Xtreme IV) is notorious for the rather difficult installation procedure and it's definitely not recommended for the inexperienced users.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back