Doom [PC]

Oh whoops. Guess there's the beta 16.7.2 driver set out for Radeons...

edit: well shit. That's a lot better.

Last edited:
Yep, after playing more with Vulkan i'm convinced turning vsync to off doesn't do much else other than uncapping the framerate. It's a shame because OpenGL plays better but Vulkan runs better.

980 GTX, reference card, cpu usage:

http://imgur.com/a/xiGpV

Argent Energy Tower - massive slowdowns with maximum settings (shadows are to blame, I tested this extensively).

With Vulkan, there are no issues, I can run maximum shadows and performance never slows down.

Didn't bother with a frame rate counter, I just wanted to see if I could play the game with shadows set to "Ultra" in that one level, which had far too many slowdowns, and I am glad to know that Vulkan fixed that. :)

CPU: 3930K @ 4.0GHz

RAM: 16GB @ 2133MHz, G Skill.

So, with Vulkan:
  • Adaptive vsync = uneven frame pacing with my system
  • Vsync on = even worse frame pacing
  • Vsync off = seems like triple buffered vsync to me, couldn't notice any tearing anywhere on the screen
That could definitely explain the slight latency increase. I could definitely notice tearing with vsync off with OpenGL and the game is also more responsive. The difference is small but it makes the game feel better to play.
Oh you know what... I sort of noticed something funny after the first patch (not Vulkan) where gameplay would feel sped up or sluggish, and.... now that I think of it, I wonder if something with the tic rate got fudged. Doom was originally a 60Hz design mind you.

Could be just that 7870 perf was so unwieldy that it was easier to notice on OGL - didn't care to report it at the time since I was busy.

Last edited:
Interesting to note, latest AMD drivers support Vulkan 1.0.17 version (June 20th release iirc) while the latest Nvidia drivers support Vulkan 1.0.8 (April 3 release) as seen while playing Doom on AMD/Nvidia. Not sure if that makes any difference.

The Fury X easily beating the 1070 in 4k tests by DF (with vulkan):

Also, funny thing, they do mention that with Nvidia cards they can't turn off vsync and with AMD card they can't turn it on. So i guess my initial assumption wasn't that far off :)

It'll be interesting to see how much the 1070 gains from async compute in this game. It's not currently active but they are supposedly going to be introducing it.

Battlefield 1 will also be very interesting, one of the first major Dx12 titles. In general Battlefront was favoring the AMD architecture, wanna see how the engine translates to Dx12, battlefield games are known for pushing the CPU to its limits (one of the very best ways to test CPU OC is to jump on a 64 player server in Battlefield 4 :)).

I'm getting wild variations in FPS with this game. Not sure what the deal is. Made a new supped up box with the following specs:

i7-6800k Broadwell-E
64G DDR4 RAM (Ripjaw)
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon m/b
Titan X -- 368.69 drivers

running at 4k with every option set to Ultra/Nightmare using Vulkan API.

Some of the time it is around 60FPS but most of the time it's wildly varying in the 50s. Seen dips to low 40s with semi-transparent smoke or scenes with lots of overdraw.

I'm getting wild variations in FPS with this game. Not sure what the deal is. Made a new supped up box with the following specs:

i7-6800k Broadwell-E
64G DDR4 RAM (Ripjaw)

Some of the time it is around 60FPS but most of the time it's wildly varying in the 50s. Seen dips to low 40s with semi-transparent smoke or scenes with lots of overdraw.

Tried dropping the settings to high? According to DF no GPU on the market can run the game at 4k Ultra and locked 60. You could also try playing around with the resolution scaling, the TSSAA does a great job at cleaning IQ so it shouldn't be much of a problem dropping the res slightly below 4k to hit 60hz.

Possibly the particle effects and shadow settings.Shadows has a Nightmare setting, try with that Ultra "only" ?

i7-6800k Broadwell-E
64G DDR4 RAM (Ripjaw)

This is a perfect situation for gsync. I guess your monitor doesn't support it.

I can play with settings for sure. I was just under the impression that people were running DOOM at the highest settings @ 4k locked to 60FPS. I see now that that is not the case. The frame drops don't really bother me as it doesn't judder enough for me to notice (except in those rare cases rendering transparent cards for FX).

Rendering quality is my priority so not really concerned with an absolute 100% 60fps lock.

I can play with settings for sure. I was just under the impression that people were running DOOM at the highest settings @ 4k locked to 60FPS. I see now that that is not the case. The frame drops don't really bother me as it doesn't judder enough for me to notice (except in those rare cases rendering transparent cards for FX).

Rendering quality is my priority so not really concerned with an absolute 100% 60fps lock.

You won't lose anything major (depending on the size of the screen of course) if you drop the resolution scaling down to let's say 90% and up the sharpening by 0.3-0.5. I find that it's really nice to have the game running above 60 (or a locked 60 with vsync) as it was designed to be played that way.

Bethsoft support is such a joke. I emailed them shortly after the vulkan patch launched, stating I was running appropriate driver as prescribed by them (16.7.2), asking for help on how to solve the issue where the game pauses on the "preparing to restart" stage after attempting to switch to vulkan API.

First response was an apologetic assemblage of standard troubleshooting nonsense ("try turning the printer off and on again. Make sure the USB cable is firmly attached", shit of that nature.) None of which applied to my issue; the game was running fine, except it wasn't possible to switch to vulkan mode. So I wrote them back telling them that.

The next day, on july 14th, I got a new response, with this golden goose egg in it:

Bethsoft Support said:
Thank you for contacting us, I will be happy to assist you. DOOM Vulkan support will be enabled via a patch that goes live on Steam at 10:00am ET on Monday, July 11th, 2016. Vulkan will not run properly without updating to the latest unified drivers from AMD and NVIDIA for supported GPUs.

Thank you. Jesus fuck god dammit. (Proper swedish term which applies for this situation is "goddag yxskaft"; there is no english language equivalent that I know of...)

So I told them their response made no sense, and I may have been just a little salty, but the next email I got from them was a canned survey request... Lol:

Bethsoft Support said:
Thank you for contacting Bethesda Customer Support.

We are constantly improving our services, and we want to ensure that we are headed in the right direction. Your feedback is important to us.

Thank you for playing a Bethesda game!

Back