Doom [2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how does everyone feel about the boss battles and cyberdemons doing anime-ish stuff? I think they were the weakest part of the game. I felt a Super Mario 64 vibe a bit heh.

They were ok I guess. Not amazing, just different.

The final fight should have been in a larger arena or something. That was awkward.

To be honest, I enjoyed the boss fights in Duke Nukem Forever more (seriously).

They added a bit of variety, but the game is arguably at its best when adhering to its favorite rhythm of shooting, glory killing, and finally using a chainsaw in order to quickly replenish ammo so that the circle may start over. Bosses definitely break this cycle. Seems like unless you are some sort of melee focused third person game, bosses are a real bitch to get right. At the very least Doom went for old school pattern recognition and evasion skills instead of resorting to quick time events. I was still happy to see them reimagined with a fresh coat of paint. Like with everything else in the game, the artists did a phenomenal job. (and the final execution was so bloody satisfying)

Yeah I can't think up a different way to do bosses in first person. Shooters with the boss mechanic have been doing this since the beginning, and that's some kind of carry over from old arcade games I guess. Storytelling in general. The only way to do a climactic showdown with the loud mouthed antagonists.

It does fit the offbeat caricature of Hell that we have here but yup it is quite the jarring contrast from the arena fights with the normal enemies.

Last edited:
How does this run at 60fps on PS4? I downloaded the demo on PC running an i7 and 660GTX and even on medium it runs around less than 40fps @ 1080p

I liked the boss fights. They're what they should be in a FPS.

My only complaint is that there's an over-reliance on monsters spawning into arenas before you can progress. It's fine as a mechanic, but by the end, it is the only mechanic.

Two curiosities I learnt today about Doom.

Bill Gates was in Doom using his face in the game's interface as the Doom guy, and also to promote Windows 95:

Additionally, Steam exists today because of Doom. Gabe Newell was in the team that was responsible for porting the DOS version of Doom to Windows 95, and it was then when he had the idea.

Last edited:
Well, usually it has one loading screen between levels, and the levels are fairly big. It's no No Man's Sky, but it also wasn't particularly bothersome.

Hey I didn't know the N64 got a port of nuDoom! ;)
as you can see they are working on it. I am not sure they are going to add all the levels of the new Doom but it runs very smooth and it looks good. Plus for those like me who still don't have the game on the console or a PC that can run it efficiently, it's a plus. I want Doom so badly, but at that price the console version is a no go for me, plus I am not using the console as much as I'd like as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back