Nintendo announce NES mini...59.99 retro gaming HDMI classic NES console Nov 11

Rangers

Legend
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Ni...=nintendoclassicmini&utm_content=announcement

CI_NintendoClassicMiniNES_PS_Announcement_MS7_image912w.jpg

Preying on our nostalgia...for 59.99 I can see about a billion people scooping this up. I definitely will 60 bucks is clear impulse/Christmas territory. I think it's already getting huge viral traction among lay people on Facebook and such. Only problem is given Nintendos history if they will be sold out up the wazoo.

Seems to come only with 30 preloaded games though and no way to get new ones.. Seems like a pretty big oversight. I can understand a cartridge slot being large and costly but at least maybe let it download more games (then, I guess internet connection hardware aint cheap either at this price). Or put a wider selection of 100 games (and top tier not filler).

Included games

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™
DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

I would like to see them do a SNES mini as well. It reminds just the other day I was talking to a guy about my age at work...he's not a huge modern gamer but he recently picked up a used SNES and all the trimmings to relive those old days.

Nintendo doing well capitalizing on their brand lately between this and Pokeman Go (not technically NIntendo)

Last edited:
Useless junk. If it could run the entire library, updateable via USB connection, then we'd be talking. But this... It's a silly cashgrab, nothing more. Would be interesting to see one opened up though, but it's either just an ARM SoC with some flash memory attached running an emulator (which probably gets the NES sound wrong considering Ninty's own Wii/Wuu emus), or else it's boobytrapped and will incinerate itself when opened to protect its secrets... :LOL:

(My guess is on the latter, btw.)

All of that can/should fit in the size of a game controller. That has been done with other ancient systems.

Useless junk. If it could run the entire library, updateable via USB connection, then we'd be talking. But this... It's a silly cashgrab, nothing more. Would be interesting to see one opened up though, but it's either just an ARM SoC with some flash memory attached running an emulator (which probably gets the NES sound wrong considering Ninty's own Wii/Wuu emus), or else it's boobytrapped and will incinerate itself when opened to protect its secrets... [emoji38]

Similar emu packs were sold severals years ago already, except they were integrated in a single joystick. At least C64 and Atari 2600, IIRC. I think they were sold at about half the mentioned price. So if this is just a larger chunk of plastic doing the same thing, it is overpriced and -sized. Rereleasing all the old games for running on their own emu platform would be a brilliant move but I don't expect it to happen.

All of that can/should fit in the size of a game controller. That has been done with other ancient systems.
Not only it could as it has. A friend of mine had a pirate system called mega joy in the 90's. It used a n64 controller shell, with a nes clone inside and 500 games (most of them from early nes days though) it connected directly to the tv and ran on AA bareries.
The internals were probably reproducing the NES more authenticly than this will (speculation)

On the contrary I think that that thing is a pretty good idea, they should have pretty good returns on investment.

Useless junk. If it could run the entire library, updateable via USB connection, then we'd be talking. But this... It's a silly cashgrab, nothing more. Would be interesting to see one opened up though, but it's either just an ARM SoC with some flash memory attached running an emulator (which probably gets the NES sound wrong considering Ninty's own Wii/Wuu emus), or else it's boobytrapped and will incinerate itself when opened to protect its secrets... :LOL:

I have the feeling it is an emulator. How hard it would be to create the same classic chip of the NES with modern technologies? I think it would take the space of a human cell... It would be perfect if it was that, perfect emulation.

Like Rangers, a mini SNES would be amazing, although please with the Japanese European design, the American SNES was so baroquely bizarre for my taste.

This is horrible value. You only get those 30 games and no more.

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116

Will the mini-NES be able to connect to the internet?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy.

On the same note: does Nintendo plan to sell other NES games for the mini-NES beyond the 30 it comes preloaded with?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

Light gun games don't work on modern TVs. This will also look good through HDMI without needing an expensive framemeister to convert the analog output of original hardware. That boutique NES with an hdmi port sells for $500.

Might be easier to connect up original analog sources to an (AVR) Audio video receiver that will output to hdmi. Or get a PC capture card or older tv tuner with analog input.

I've had at least one of those. They're knockoffs with garbage quality generally.

I suspect Nintendo could have put it in the controller, but somehow that just gives a perception of weirdness or cheapness, as well as reminding people of all those crappy controller-housed knockoffs that have poisoned the well.

The idea/hope here is that you're getting solid Nintendo quality.

Think buying most any third party controller vs a first party one.

I wonder how the resolution will be handled on modern 1080P TV's? Obviously it wont play in a postage stamp will it?

BTW I saw a lot of comments on youtube about "just get an emulator this is stupid". I dont think those people get it. Yes if you're 15-25, male, and tech savvy you'll get an emulator. If you're not in that 2%, you probably dont even know what an emulator is.

Besides that I personally never like playing as much straight up in a computer chair as on the couch, regardless of any other aspects.

I wonder if WiFi hardware was deemed too expensive to still provide a fat Nintendo style margin at $59? Still seems like a oversight. They also may claim they want to provide an offline, ultimate retro simplicity ethos much like the Retro VGS was touting.

They may also not want cannibalize whatever other ways they have of selling Nintendo games IP in the future I guess, somehow? Which brings me to the point they still need to make that dream $99 android Nintendo console I've wanted that plays the whole back library and new stuff too.

Still, this is the same price as a XBO/PS4 game. It will FLY off the shelf this holiday is my guess. It's a completely impulse purchase.

Last edited:
Here is something I happened to see in relation to this NES mini to give you an idea of the quality of most clones, an article about a Sega licensed Mini-Genesis available now (remember this is officially licensed by Sega to boot)

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ndo-tiny-nes-mini-atgames-sega-genesis-amazon

The system isn’t built by Sega, but by a company called "AtGames," and it’s apparently not great. Sure, it has a bunch of the hits preinstalled, including of course the Sonicgames, but it also have a lot of cheap clones of games. Also, it’s not perfectly compatible with all Genesis cartridges. Also apparently the included wireless controllers are crappy and IR-based. And there’s no HDMI. And it has mono audio, which is a travesty given the amazing music and sound the Genesis is famous for.

There are actually multiple versions on Amazon, including the "AtGames Sega Genesis Classic Game Console," the "Sega Genesis AtGames Classic Game Console 2014," and the "Sega Genesis AtGames Classic Game Console 2015," all with slightly different built-in libraries. But all with those terrible IR controllers. Also, prices are hard to pin down, ranging from around $40 to $80.

Goes for $40-$80 apparently.

You're usually looking at something like that for clones. Of course, I'm not 100% positive Nintendo will hit the quality bar with this NES mini either.

The Genesis is famous for amazing music and sound?

Hmmm no Kung Fu, Rad Racer, Wizards & Warriors, Ironsword, Dragon Warrior, Galaxy 5000, Star Trek 25th, or Silent Service. It's not for me then! Will just stick with the modded original Xbox that I never use. :p

Last edited:
The Genesis is famous for amazing music and sound?

Hmmm no Kung Fu, Rad Racer, Wizards & Warriors, Ironsword, Dragon Warrior, Galaxy 5000, Star Trek 25th, or Silent Service. It's not for me then! Will just stick with the modded original Xbox that I never use. :p

I bought an intel compute stick with cherry trail. Does well up through the n64. All my old consoles at in storage now

It is a good idea by nintendo. It will sell well. Its boutique emulation for the masses too lazy and too uninformed to know how emulation works. Personally, I think its a waste of money. You can literaly play any NES game instantly in your browser at nesfun.com for exemple... Emulation was never easier.
I do like the precedent this opens though. Ninty will probably iterate on that idea after this succedes, there might come beter versions of this.
I really think a good CRT shader, that blurs and blooms the image a little bit is essential to really bring that authentic experience to HDTVs. Those games were made with that output in mind, and that is really when some of them look the best.

It is a good idea by nintendo. It will sell well. Its boutique emulation for the masses too lazy and too uninformed to know how emulation works.
I don't know about "masses" I doubt there are masses of people, i.e. an actual mass market, willing to buy this thing.

Yeah, not a broad mass of people, but a good bunch. I dont know about numbers, but im sure there's many 15 year olds that are neardy enough to have seen a bunch of pop culture references of 80's gaming, but are not nerdy enough to buy an actual nes on ebay or learn about emulation. Im thinking iPad using kids. Old school 8bit is cool again, just like vinyl was in the 2000's, or how cassete tapes are becoming hip in certain underground music scenes (I wish i werekidding) and soon enough its gonna spill into mainstram culture as well.

Back