Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

I was specifically only talking about flops and thought you were as well, when you claimed that the jump will be about half of what it was before. I thought you had some metric behind that statement, but it was just your opinion? The fact is that in terms of processing power, the jump will be almost as big and if it comes with 12GB or RAM with similar OS requirements, the boost in memory will be quite nice too.

Trying to put a X times number on a subjective perceived difference is pointless.

I said "I imagine the difference XBO to Scorpio will be clear...it's around half the difference X360 to XBO so a very nice upgrade." I should not have said 'it's' but I do say 'I imagine' so I'm clearly not stating any kind of fact! Sorry for the confusion!

It's cool :)

Regardless it's going to be interesting to see how devs will use the extra power. Personally I kind of wish they would just drop the Xbox One altogether like they did the original Xbox when 360 arrived to guarantee that Scorpio could be fully utilized, but too much baggage to be dropped I guess...

Hmm. With the information released I didn't actually read it just yet, but from the documentation it does look like a larger focus on resolution and maintaining or bettering frame rate. I didn't see anything explicitly urge developers to enhance graphical features for Neo based games outside of that.

I'd be curious what the policies are around that piece, lowering resolution to drive graphical improvements.

That being said it, having thought about it now, and with the release dates of both machines in mind, it does appear that Sony may end up setting the standard for these types of policies for both machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The doc makes it pretty clear that they can use the extra processing power to do whatever they want, as long as the frame rate is at least equal to the PS4 version. They recommend using some of that power for higher resolution, but also recommend upscaling and reconstruction methods. So they're obviously aware that dumping all the processing into 4k isn't the best idea.

Which only makes it more important that they launch ASAP. The more definetly they set the standard of expectations for what those enhanced versions should be, the more irrelevant Scorpios performance edge becomes.

Hmm. With the information released I didn't actually read it just yet, but from the documentation it does look like a larger focus on resolution and maintaining or bettering frame rate. I didn't see anything explicitly urge developers to enhance graphical features for Neo based games outside of that.

I'd be curious what the policies are around that piece, lowering resolution to drive graphical improvements.

That being said it, having thought about it now, and with the release dates of both machines in mind, it does appear that Sony may end up setting the standard for these types of policies for both machines.

it reads like they have a "Neo experience" in mind and a way to market the console, and your games need to fit this model.

I am not sure 1080 with turbo charged graphics is going to go down well given they seem to say 1440 is not really good enough and they hope for closer to 4K native or rendering tricks to get there.

At least with internal Microsoft Studio's it won't matter what Sony do. They've already done extensive work on making games scalable on Project Scorpio via research done with Forza Apex.

It'll be interesting to see what 3rd parties do, however. Will they attempt to replicate what Microsoft has accomplished with Forza Apex? Will that be easily adaptable to PS4/Neo? Will they just do what they've been doing on PC with static settings?

Which only makes it more important that they launch ASAP. The more definetly they set the standard of expectations for what those enhanced versions should be, the more irrelevant Scorpios performance edge becomes.

If I were to hazard a guess, the majority of 3rd party developers will likely just adapt what they've been doing for years on the PC to the consoles. So Sony's guidelines will have little to no effect on them other than making sure that framerates do not degrade on the Neo when compared to the PS4.

A minority of more enterprising 3rd party developers (DICE, comes to mind) might try to replicate what Microsoft are doing with regards to scalability.

Regards,
SB

Sweeney I think it was, interestingly, had some comments liking the Scorpio/Neo model. He said it's really stupid how every few years consoles ditch their entire userbase and start over. That's a good point I guess. I hadn't really thought of it.

But then he made some comments something like, how much better it will be than PC because you basically have infinite performance points to support on PC, where you'll only have two to support on console X+iteration. I thought this was pretty short sighted on his part, because just take supporting PS4+Neo and then Xbox+Scorpio, you are already at 4 variations to support minimum. And in theory it can only get worse from there with every new iteration. I can see both Sony and MS supporting up to 5 iterations at a time perhaps, worst case, if this really takes off. You're then at ten hardwares to support between them. I dont see that being a lot better than PC.

Five at a time, each? More like two at a time, three tops, but doubtful.

And honestly, even if it were five, that's still way less variation than PC.

yea

So ps4 2013 - Neo 2016 - PS5 2019 - PS5 Neo 2021 - Ps6 2024 . I would imagine when PS5 hits ps4 wouldn't be supported anymore only neo , ps5 neo hits then ps4 neo is droped and ps5 / neo are supported. Ps6 drops and ps5 is dumped and only ps5 neo and ps6 is supported. Same with MS

xone 213 , scorpio 2017 , xbox next 2021 , xbox next + 2024 and the one will get dropped when next hits , scorpio dropped when next + hits and so on.

Well, at a minimum you'd think 3 variations each Sony/MS=6 total. You guys are rushing to say it wont be many but remember on the other foot we were all talking about the smartphone model which is an upgrade annually. Plus whatever Nintendo is doing maybe, plus countless PC configs...

The days of low level programming are surely over.

The days of low level programming are surely over.
It depends what you mean by low level. There's not a lot of hand crafted assembly language in modern games (except middleware) but in terms of graphics we've entered a period where low level APIs are the future, this includes mobile.

Applications have never been so close so close to the metal since the 1980s.

It depends what you mean by low level. There's not a lot of hand crafted assembly language in modern games (except middleware) but in terms of graphics we've entered a period where low level APIs are the future, this includes mobile.

Applications have never been so close so close to the metal since the 1980s.
It's still a requirement. At least for the technical tests that I had to do during my interview. A handful of assembly questions, debugging, optimization and so forth.

It's still a requirement. At least for the technical tests that I had to do during my interview. A handful of assembly questions, debugging, optimization and so forth.

I would hope so. I don't know how you can write optimised code in a high level language if you don't understand the fundamental architecture or how the compiler works.

What are the implications for Scorpio if neo ends up being priced at $400 and launched 12-14 months before Scorpio. Does Microsoft have to match that price next fall or can they go $500?

I mean I could see the 500GB Xbox One S hit $249 by next fall....so a Scorpio at $400 wouldn't be that out of the question would it?

It's a general thread about Scorpio in the sub-forum Console Industry. Discussing price is legitimate imo.

Back