Microsoft: Only Microsoft Edge Will Play Netflix Content At 1080p On Your PC

Babel-17

Veteran
https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/...will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc

I'm crossposting this on two other forums I frequent.

I can tentatively confirm this. Pretty sweet seeing the difference. "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D" is what I used with both Firefox and in Edge to test. Both of them started off in lower resolution, 480p-540p, but then Firefox settled in at 720p while Edge did go up to 1080p. I just now realize I should have checked Firefox's bitrate, to see if it matched that of Edge even though at only 720p. Either way, I think Edge looked better. And to think I never used it other than for testing.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/...will-play-netflix-content-at-1080p-on-your-pc
An anonymous reader writes from a report via PCWorld: Microsoft made the bold claim on Wednesday that its Edge browser was the only browser of the big four browsers -- Chrome, Firefox, and Opera -- to play Netflix content at a 1080p resolution. PCWorld tested the four browsers and found this claim to be valid. The other three browsers capped out at a 720p resolution. Microsoft has been trying to boost Edge's reputation. Microsoft recently claimed that its Edge browser is more power-efficient than Chrome. (Opera later denied those claims.) This is the latest bold claim to come from Microsoft in regard to its Edge browser. Microsoft has even publicized a Netflix support document to show that Netflix streams at 1080p on Internet Explorer and Edge, and 720p on the other browsers. PCWorld used the "secret Netflix menus" that were first unearthed by Reddit users (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D) to display the resolution and bitrate and confirm that Microsoft's claims are true. "In a blog post, Microsoft claimed Microsoft Edge was built to take advantage of platform features in Windows 10, including the PlayReady Content Protection and the media engine's Protected Media Path," reports PCWorld. "The company said it is working with the Open Media Alliance to develop next-generation media formats, codecs, and other technologies for UltraHD video, and with chipset companies to develop Enhanced Content Protection that moves the protected media path into peripheral hardware for an even higher level of security, and one that could be used to protect 4K media."

Discussion is a bit excited at slashdot, the question as to why Edge has the ability why others don't comes up. It seems copy protection and enabling access by jumping through a Microsoft hoop have to do with it.

I wish every browser could do it, but it's nice to suddenly have the improvement. Jessica Jones just got hotter! :)

P.S. Off Topic, but for fun when I watch Jessica Jones I sometimes imagine Krysten Ritter as her character Chloe from Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23. She sort of had super powers. Well, super partying powers that made her immune to hangovers. I imagine Chloe discovering other powers and becoming Jessica Jones. I'm sort of surprised there isn't a youtube video of that. :)

I'm crossposting this on two other forums I frequent.

I can tentatively confirm this. Pretty sweet seeing the difference. "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D" is what I used with both Firefox and in Edge to test. Both of them started off in lower resolution, 480p-540p, but then Firefox settled in at 720p while Edge did go up to 1080p. I just now realize I should have checked Firefox's bitrate, to see if it matched that of Edge even though at only 720p. Either way, I think Edge looked better. And to think I never used it other than for testing.

Discussion is a bit excited at slashdot, the question as to why Edge has the ability why others don't comes up. It seems copy protection and enabling access by jumping through a Microsoft hoop have to do with it.

I wish every browser could do it, but it's nice to suddenly have the improvement. Jessica Jones just got hotter! :)

P.S. Off Topic, but for fun when I watch Jessica Jones I sometimes imagine Krysten Ritter as her character Chloe from Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23. She sort of had super powers. Well, super partying powers that made her immune to hangovers. I imagine Chloe discovering other powers and becoming Jessica Jones. I'm sort of surprised there isn't a youtube video of that. :)
What in the?

Well, might as well try the XBO test as well. See if edge browser is outputting higher resolution than their app does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you're using a PC with no admin privileges, why not just use the netflix app instead?

I tested the Windows 10 app on a Jessica Jones episode, using "Ctrl+Alt+Shift+D", and it too gave me 1080p. The app has gotten a better gui from what it once had (IIRC), it feels easier to navigate than I remember. Though my memory is mostly of the Windows 8.1 days, back when I'd look for "Super HD" to be labeled on some of the content.

Unless you're using a PC with no admin privileges, why not just use the netflix app instead?
I guess I found navigating the old app too tedious in comparison to navigating in the browser. I'd keep Netflix in a browser tab and frequently pause to use other tabs. No real decision, it was just the groove I got in. It probably helped that were periods of time where the Netflix app was broken for me. That might have been due to it formerly using Silverlight, but whatever the reason I'd end up using my browser, though that too would sometimes have issues, one of them being Silverlight updates.

Now that you mention it, I only use the app with my windows tablet for touch use. In the living room I use the PS4 so I've never had this browser dilemma before.

Back