nVidia puts early driver releases behind a registration wall.

Hmmm, could it be we are in for another title change since AMD's Raptr has had a "registration wall" all along?
You don't need AMD Gaming Evolved App for any driver updates, though, or even for notifications. Radeon Software does it on it's own, too

And Raptr isn't even really an AMD app is it? Basiaclly a re-branded software package that has been around for quite awhile?

And Raptr isn't even really an AMD app is it? Basiaclly a re-branded software package that has been around for quite awhile?
I'd see it as "AMD app" even though it's coming from outside the company, since AMD is the one promoting it etc. You can get it without AMD naming as Raptr, but not 110% sure if it has all the same features

It is, however, pre-selected to be installed and distributed with every Radeon Software Crimson Package, much the same as Nvidias GFE.

You don't need AMD Gaming Evolved App for any driver updates, though, or even for notifications. Radeon Software does it on it's own, too
Neither do you with GFE and Geforce drivers (yet) - even though it seems to have been in the planning stage when the thread was created.

Edit
Meanwhile, we are talking about a software at AMD that is called "Gaming Evolved powered by raptr"

Edit2
Raptr just got updated and the update notification called it "AMD Gaming Evolved" :)

Last edited:
Having said this, Nvidia seems to be serious now about GFE, drivers and registration - or maybe the links for the driver page will be updated later.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/virtual-reality-game-ready-driver-released
Here, the only official download options are through GFE - in it's beta-release 3.0. Weird.
For what it's worth, GFE 3.0 beta isn't offering the drivers for my GTX 980, it says 368.69's are still the newest

edit: where does it say it's 3.0 only?

Last edited:
I actually meant what I wrote: In that article announcing the new drivers, there was no link to the download page and manually going to the driver download page yielded no 389.81 drivers. In the meantime though, the driver download page seems to have been updated, so we're back to waiting for the first drivers behind a registration wall as indicated by the thread title.

I actually meant what I wrote: In that article announcing the new drivers, there was no link to the download page and manually going to the driver download page yielded no 389.81 drivers. In the meantime though, the driver download page seems to have been updated, so we're back to waiting for the first drivers behind a registration wall as indicated by the thread title.
There were links, at least when I replied, but as you said, the drivers weren't there at the time, they've been updated later.
The drivers, according to reports, were available since they were released at nvidia.com / .co.uk > drivers search, though

once upon a time there were drivers
once upon a time there were bloatware required for getting drivers
once upon a time there were emails required for getting bloadware required for getting drivers
once upon a time there ????

For what it's worth, GFE 3.0 beta isn't offering the drivers for my GTX 980, it says 368.69's are still the newest
Does it still say 389.69 are the latest?

I manually downloaded and installed the latest 368.81 which comes with GFE 2.11.4.0. Checking driver updates in GFE finds 368.81 is the latest Geforce driver.

Does it still say 389.69 are the latest?

I manually downloaded and installed the latest 368.81 which comes with GFE 2.11.4.0. Checking driver updates in GFE finds 368.81 is the latest Geforce driver.
Nah, it came a day late or something saying there's new drivers up

NVIDIA Releases GeForce Experience 3.0 - New UI and Features

In their original plan, NVIDIA intended to make GeForce Experience the one true portal to driver releases, making registeration a de facto requirements to get NVIDIA's frequent driver releases. Instead, NVIDIA has still opted to require a sign on for GeForce Experience, but has backed off on the driver portal aspect. Instead they continue to issue new driver releases through their web page, even though, according to NVIDIA, that the majority of their driver updates are already served through GeForce Experience.

NVIDIA states that GeForce Experience 3.0 runs three times faster and uses half the memory. When putting this to the test on my machine my measurements were more like two times as fast and a third the ram. Granted, this was just a quick and informal test on my personal system and results likely will very, nevertheless it is indeed faster and in my case the new version uses a miniscule amount of ram. In fact while 3.0.5 started up with 88MB of ram is shortly settled in with only 54 MB of ram used.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10661/nvidia-geforce-experience-30

I'm glad as well, and have not tried it yet but think it might be possible to use newer drivers with older GF Experience (up to 3.0) if required.

At the moment it's just a reddit post.
Let's hope some notable website picks this up to confirm or deny it.

Or just block nvtmrep.exe and nvtmmon.exe in your firewall.

Back