Best reasons not to purchase a 1070 right now

TomRL

Newcomer
I'm seconds away from purchasing the 1070 from Ebuyer for £415 since it's finally in stock. What are the best reasons for me not to get it?
Could Polaris push 1070 prices down?
Is it stupid to get such a card when Vega is six months down the road? I could get a Polaris 470 now and wait for Vega later maybe.
Are 1070 prices being gouged at the moment?

Survey says:

1. "The 1080"

I think all Nvidia card prices are higher than MSRP, so they should be cheaper than they are.

Because you have not decided which intelligent, witty, funny, incredibly handsome, guardian of many terrabytes of gaming goodness your going to give your old card to ;)
BTW how's the 670 working out for you?

Holy crap, I just looked at prices for the GTX 1070. If there's any reason not to buy one right now, it's all the price gouging. I'd be tempted to buy one at the PR launch price but definitely not at the prices it's currently going for.

Yikes, just looked and the price gouging on the Rx 480. Holy hell. There must have been a lot of pent up demand for a new GPU.

Regards,
SB

What are the best reasons for me not to get it?
Absolutely none whatsoever really. It's a fucking awesome gaming card. Possibly one thing, and that's if you can afford (and desire) a 1080, and they also are in stock... :p

If you desire a new video card, then there's nothing better to be had at the power and price at the moment really.

Well now that we know Polaris ain't gonna push NVIDIA prices down any time soon (at least not on Pascal), I'd say pull the trigger if you haven't already.

Absolutely none whatsoever really. It's a fucking awesome gaming card. Possibly one thing, and that's if you can afford (and desire) a 1080, and they also are in stock... :p
In the UK the 1080 was only out of stock for 5-7 days after launch, then it was readily available unless you wanted a particular vendor flavour.

To OP, treat yourself and get the 1070 :yes:

Still far too expensive. Lowest priced 1070 is still ~440 USD (most are higher) and the 1080 goes in and out of stock regularly still in the US. When it's in stock it goes for anywhere from ~650 to ~900 USD.

Looking at user reports on stock. It appears that in the US demand far outstrips supply compared to other countries around the world.

If a 1070 ever hits Nvidia PR MSRP (379 USD) I'll probably pick one up. But at this rate, AMD's Vega based cards might be out before that happens. :p

Regards,
SB

I'm dying as well with this decision. If I didn't own a console the choice would be obvious. If I didn't have kids and a family and I could get more hours out of a gaming PC the choice would be obvious.

At this point in time it's hard to justify. The 1060 is looking more reasonable. But seems weaker for VR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the best reasons for me not to get it?

Only 2 reasons I can think of:

1 - Price is ridiculously high compared to MSRP. If you wait a couple of weeks or a month you'll probably save >£50 and get a card with a custom cooler that will probably overclock more.

2 (and this would be complete turn-off for me) - No Freesync, and the price premium for G-Sync monitors is too damn high. It's still unknown if Pascal GPUs will eventually support VESA's adaptive sync, but nvidia may want to try to force gsync into the market for another generation before succumbing to the royalty-free standard.

The best reason is - why?

Why would you ever buy any product that is so supply constrained that it is selling for over MSRP? I don't care if it's a 1070, a 1080 or a Dodge Viper. (CAR ANALOGY FTW!)

Wait a month and save a couple of bucks.

I'm looking to build an entire new system around the 1070 mini that Gigabyte just announced, but I'm not in any hurry to do so. It isn't going to be this week, certainly not next, probably not even the one after that. It'll be two months from now when I'm sure I'm getting what I need for the results that I want.

If you're so concerned about getting it RIGHT NOW why aren't you going for the 1080?

The best reason is - why?

Why would you ever buy any product that is so supply constrained that it is selling for over MSRP? I don't care if it's a 1070, a 1080 or a Dodge Viper. (CAR ANALOGY FTW!)

Wait a month and save a couple of bucks.

I'm looking to build an entire new system around the 1070 mini that Gigabyte just announced, but I'm not in any hurry to do so. It isn't going to be this week, certainly not next, probably not even the one after that. It'll be two months from now when I'm sure I'm getting what I need for the results that I want.

If you're so concerned about getting it RIGHT NOW why aren't you going for the 1080?
In absolute terms the 1080 is still way more expensive, and if the extra $50-100 isn't a huge deal to him (it's a pittance in the context of how long he'll probably use it) then go ahead, splurge and enjoy. A couple months is a long time to wait if he needs a card now.

In absolute terms the 1080 is still way more expensive, and if the extra $50-100 isn't a huge deal to him (it's a pittance in the context of how long he'll probably use it) then go ahead, splurge and enjoy. A couple months is a long time to wait if he needs a card now.

"needs" a card now?

Both of the 1070s and 1080s are available from different manufacturers and at or above MSRP. This isn't a situation where you can't find a product and have to spend over MSRP just to get it. Now, as the OP said, the majority of these cards available today are above MSRP. But there's bunches of them. I don't see why somebody wouldn't wait a week or two to get a better deal.

How do you NEED a 1070 or 1080 right now? Today, this weekend? It's just not possible. Cool your jets, and pick one up in the next two weeks and save yourself some cash.

Back