nVidia puts early driver releases behind a registration wall.

Summary: I dont know what the problem is, I do all of these work arounds and I still have to register my email address with Nvidia to get game day drivers.

Yeah, I dont see what the problem is at all. Nope, not a single problem can be seen.

This shouldnt be like this!

its the same thing through windows updates, you have to run it to get your updates, this is a separate program that does the same thing. For the 5 secs to go right click taskbar click on task manger, and go to the start ups tab and stop GE from loading up at start up, causes such a headache for a person that wants to be able to update drivers on their own doesn't seem to be a huge digression.

Not to mention beta drivers and devrel drivers will have to be installed separately outside of GE, so when the drivers are available from Guru 3d or what ever site, the process is still the same, just that the general consumer can't go to nV's site or dl them from Microsoft update as frequently.

No different than having the privilege to post in this forum, or any other. Your email address is required as part of registration ...
What's the fuss?

You don't know why forums require an e-mail address? It's to at least attempt to make it difficult to pollute the forums with troll posts and reduce the level of harassment possible from anonymous posting.

It's not even remotely similar to a driver download.

This is more like going to a restaurant to eat, but being required to provide identification as well as your home address before you can be served food.

And that's not even getting into the requirement for non-essential software to be installed in order to get the drivers without having to go through undue workarounds.

I'd be complaining just as much if AMD required Raptor to be installed before I could get the latest BETA drivers. And most assuredly if they required my e-mail address as well.

None of that is required. And frankly it is insulting that Nvidia would require that GFE be installed as well my providing my e-mail address...for absolutely no reason. There is no legitimate reason why either of those should be required.

Right now, I really regret owning an NVidia graphics card, even if it is a good piece of hardware engineering.

Regards,
SB

Its an email, you can use an email that you don't use much any more, or make one specific for junk, I have an email that I use just for junk, useless registrations, I'm sure many people do.

Sure you use those to avoid having to deal with Scum on the internet. I guess we can lump in NVidia with that...good going.

Regards,
SB

what information will GE email's give to me, I put that under junk, if I want something I will look for it, I don't need emails, to tell me to look for something :).

Regretting owning hardware because they don't want to update through windows update or getting drivers from their site as frequent? Come on, I would rather have a program that will get me my update, yeah its an inconvenience over before, but its not earth shattering.

You are being sarcastic for saying emails coming from GE, then you stated this, that is just not right......

That is possible, anything more invasive than an email registration would be bad though.
Well I mean expansion as in more features. Maybe something that has an email registration make sense. I'm thinking about their software presences on other platforms like Android. Maybe there are some more strategies planned that include Windows.

LOL Swaaye you are right, its the same log in for Sheild looks like they are doing a single sign on thing for PC and their tablet. Just received an email yesterday.

On a completely unrelated note, can someone tell me if AMD's Crimson (or whatever its called) software requires the user to log in with some form of account in order to use it?

GFE does and now I can't update my drivers because I refuse to sign in....

can someone tell me if AMD's Crimson (or whatever its called) software requires the user to log in
It hasn't ever so far, and AMD's version of GFE is an optional install as well, not really part of the driver (it's a third party piece of software AMD licensed and re-skinned/badged.)

So you're safe with the red team - unless your PCIe slot blows, of course! :LOL:

Are you using the beta GFE? I just installed the WHQL driver that includes GFE and it's business as usual w/o the sign in screen.

Edit: GFE version 2.11.4.0

Back