Steam hardware survey drops Flash

Yes this has been happening on my desktop since before crimson, I do have the Intel IGP enabled for streaming.
I find it really odd that Steam would select the IGP, while every other software application has no problem selecting the graphics card.

When you say "every other software application", can you be more specific? Does Notepad use your AMD card? Do the control panel applets? Howabout your preferred browser while surfing 2D pages like here at Beyond3D? If the application doesn't start a D3D context, the AMD card isn't likely to "kick in." As such, the Steam UI itself has no reason to fire up your 3D card, although pretty much every game it launches will do so. Those aren't parent/child processes though...

I have a switchable graphics laptop at home; it's old so the switch takes several seconds from start to finish. I've become tired of the blinking screen and waiting (even though it's only two or three seconds at most) and finally just turned the IGP off. I wager Steam would recognize the AMD card without issue...

As such, the Steam UI itself has no reason to fire up your 3D card, although pretty much every game it launches will do so.

Aside from Valve supposedly being a little bit concerned about not publishing hardware survey results that are total bullshit every month?

upload_2016-7-7_12-10-12.png
As you can see in the image above, when I refresh my screen on Beyond3d, GPU 1 (the AMD card) spikes while GPU2 remains flat.
All activity is on the Graphics card an none on GPU2.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-7_12-3-2.png
    upload_2016-7-7_12-3-2.png
    231.5 KB · Views: 7
Aside from Valve supposedly being a little bit concerned about not publishing hardware survey results that are total bullshit every month?
It's a powersave thing; no reason to crank up the "real" 3D card when no 3D is necessary. Your post assumes they care, which maybe they don't. I dunno.

Sinistar: your screen capture doesn't really nidicate which of those GPU's is your IGP. I assume you're telling me the AMD card is what's spiking? Are your switchable power settings configured to activate the AMD card when your chosen browser is started? These things are configurable in the Switchable Graphics pane. You could even select the SteamUI to fire up the AMD card, despite not really needing it. Maybe that would correct the reporting error?

I am on a desktop, no switchable graphics, the only thing the IGP is being used for is streaming.
The bottom graph is the IGP, the first two are the graphic card. Believe me, all graphics are being rendered by the graphics card.

Back