Nvidia Pascal Announcement

Yup and it seems there is no supply.
Whereby the question would be whether this is on purpose, if TSMC can't deliver, or if the GDDR5X is by chance scarce.

I think we can rule out the first one. Nvidia doesn't make any more money if 3rd party speculators drive the prices (unless they are involved themselves with illegal schemes).

Second one ... hm. The board of the 1060 *might* have spare RAM solder pads to fit a heavily cut GP104, doesn't it?
Respectively if the GP106 is actually supposed to have a 256bit interface, but only 192bit are active per card (and the boards are picked differently, matching the non-broken parts of the memory controller!), that could be an indicator as well.

Whereby the question would be whether this is on purpose, if TSMC can't deliver, or if the GDDR5X is by chance scarce.

Or how about big time demand. Why is that option always ignored.

Second one ... hm. The board of the 1060 *might* have spare RAM solder pads to fit a heavily cut GP104, doesn't it?
Respectively if the GP106 is actually supposed to have a 256bit interface, but only 192bit are active per card (and the boards are picked differently, matching the non-broken parts of the memory controller!), that could be an indicator as well.

Or how about market segmentation. If the GP106 does have a 256bit memory interface then that would leave room for a GTX 1060ti with 8GB.

That 6 pin cable kills me...IF it is real that it would be for 250(doubt it) then a 480 with 8GBs for 230? 220? would be a good deal.

Now it's official:
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidi...cials/Geforce-GTX-1060-Release-Preis-1200915/

- 4.4 TFLOPS
- 6 GiB/8 Gbps/192 GB/s
- FE $299 (plus taxes etc.) exklusively via Nvidias webshop
- partner cards from $249 (plus taxes etc.)
- 25 centimeters
- 120 watts
- 1 PCIe 6-pin
- No SLI-Support

More pictures in the link.

So $249 for 6 GB was right! There isnt any reference to a 3 GB part and if it dosen't exist then its a good move. Maybe they'll have 3GB and 6 GB options for the 1050.

No specific performance figures given but they say the target is 980 performance! That would be impressive. I was expecting somewhere between 970 and 980.

I think we can rule out the first one. Nvidia doesn't make any more money if 3rd party speculators drive the prices (unless they are involved themselves with illegal schemes).

Well it dosent use GDDR5X so we can rule out the latter. As for the former..simply put..its a matter of supply, demand and production. TSMC produces a fixed number of wafers per month. Demand at launch is obviously going to be sky high. You cant set production to be in line with initial demand...then you'd be faced with oversupply after launch. Production would be geared towards anticipated demand over the life of the card..and this demand-supply gap should balance out sometime after launch. (Judging by GP104 though..demand may just be that high! It is also possible that prioritization of production for higher margin parts may also be eating into NV's wafer capacity)

GP106 is 192 bit. And it would be unlikely that GP104 and GP106 are pin compatible so any cut down GP104 product would have to use a GP104 PCB (also due to the higher power requirements). I do wonder why they have those "empty" memory slots though.

Anyone do a die size estimate yet?

I'll be really surprised if we see any AIB selling anywhere close to $249. Guessing that most will start at $279 and above. At $299+ for the better AIB versions.

That 6 pin cable kills me...IF it is real that it would be for 250(doubt it) then a 480 with 8GBs for 230? 220? would be a good deal.

well overclocking this card will be power limited, almost certain of it. Its only got a extra 30 watts or so for overclocking, I don't think you can get it up to 2100 mhz with so little.

well overclocking this card will be power limited, almost certain of it. Its only got a extra 30 watts or so for overclocking, I don't think you can get it up to 2100 mhz with so little.
I was referring to the cable that connects the 6pin to the board making impossible(for a normal user) to even take off the cooler for clearing... not to say replace it for something better. And the OC...it only have 3.1 phases so im assume it just get the job done and nothing more.

I wasn't expecting anything better from Nvidia, and tbh anyone who was were too naive or doesn't know Nvidia at all.

another preview

Looks like there will be NO partner FE cards, they will all be custom. The only place you can get FE cards is from nV directly. So I think the pricing will be fairly close to the 249 bucks at least for the lower end models.
Really doubt it. The 250 is for reference, so the custom would start at 300 or near to it.

I was referring to the cable that connects the 6pin to the board making impossible(for a normal user) to even take off the cooler for clearing... not to say replace it for something better. And the OC...it only have 3.1 phases so im assume it just get the job done and nothing more.

I wasn't expecting anything better from Nvidia, and tbh anyone who was were too naive or doesn't know Nvidia at all.

Yep they got to keep their margins up lol gotta cut down somewhere lol.

Really doubt it. The 250 is for reference, so the custom would start at 300 or near to it.

The FE is the reference.... I don't think these cards will sell that well at 300 at least for stock clocks, actually I can see nV loosing marketshare at this segment if AIB's flog the low end (stock clocks or mild overclocks) cards anything higher than 250......

Last edited:
Let me rephrase what I said about the prices:
Why would any AIB inititally sell anything below FE-price. Yes, now the prices have dropped in some countries under FE-prices, but initial AIB-cards were all at FE-price or higher.

FE is the reference for 300 dollars ;). All the FE thing is just to sell their cards on higher price while the [strike]naive[/strike] press says they are selling them for lower prices.

Let me rephrase what I said about the prices:
Why would any AIB inititally sell anything below FE-price. Yes, now the prices have dropped in some countries under FE-prices, but initial AIB-cards were all at FE-price or higher.

Depends on supply.

FE is the reference for 300 dollars ;). All the FE thing is just to sell their cards on higher price while the [strike]naive[/strike] press says they are selling them for lower prices.

Unless people like buying directly from nV there will be on FE cards outside of that. Its also a limited run. So I don't think its going to end up like AIB's selling FE's and pricing their cards based on that and they also have competition from AMD in this segment, its one thing when there is no competition for alternatives. I can't really see this card being a good buy if its priced higher than 250 at stock. Power consumption wise going from 120 to 150 isn't a big burden on systems, yeah the 1060 seems to have a little extra performance but that will be the offset from 239 to 249.

I just tell you my friend: Never underestimate Nvidia's Avarice. they would sell it for 2k if people buy it, and we know they would...We will see but I doubt the whole FE behavior change suddenly with this 1060.

Back