Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

So basicly stay with a ps4 and upgrade to Scorpio. Why would they go from a $350-$400 to another $400 + system ?

The ps4 will let them play with their friends , cost nothing since they own it , already own it so they don't have to worry about Launch date, they own the system so the only cost is the vr helm.

As for reputation and trust , they own a ps4 . Of course you and I have different opinions on Sony.
Fur fox sake.

He said they don't happen on the same architecture on the same node. Maxwell improved over Keplar by being a brand new architecture. Is Vega a radical departure from Polaris and able to usher in significantly better performance per watt?

They can sell the PS4 for $200 (or whatever) and get the Neo cheaper, that'll still play their existing library only better and connect with all their Sony experience, in one box under the TV. Buying a Scorpio will cost more because there's no trade-in option, require a second box and the faf of that (what if your friends are playing COD on PSN and they want you to join in, but you're playing Scorpio at the time and have no idea they're even online?), and provide the PS4 exclusive experience in a lower quality than the person wanting a more powreful console would like.

For your first question. I don't know do you ? Do you believe that AMD wont improve performance per watt over Polaris with Vega ?

They can also sell their ps4 for $200 or whatever , sell their games and get Scorpio which will play all the new games the best of any console.

If you buy a scorpio and are playing it all the time then what is the problem ? I don't see your point. If your playing scorpio all the time then it wouldn't seem that your friends are very important to you.

For your first question. I don't know do you ? Do you believe that AMD wont improve performance per watt over Polaris with Vega ?
Given no evidence of a radical architectural change, it's more probable at this point in time that there won't be. To believe there will be is to act on faith rather than evidence.

They can also sell their ps4 for $200 or whatever , sell their games and get Scorpio which will play all the new games the best of any console.
That's not what you were saying. You can't "Stay with PS4" and uprgade to Scorpio if you sell the PS4.

If you buy a scorpio and are playing it all the time then what is the problem ? I don't see your point. If your playing scorpio all the time then it wouldn't seem that your friends are very important to you.
If your friends are important to you, you won't buy a Scorpio! Your suggestion was to keep the PS4 and your PSFriends, and also get a Scorpio. Now you're suggesting get a Scorpio and ditch everything PlayStation, which MrFox had already said wasn't a great option for a list of reasons.

If the PS ecosystem is important for you, for exclusives, friends, existing library, etc., then leaving that to get Scorpio isn't a great idea, whereas upgrading to Neo means you keep all that and get better games. And if you keep the PS4 for that and get a Scorpio as well, that's not great as I cover in my previous post. Scorpio for existing PS4 gamers isn't a great proposition. It'll only appeal to the most hardcore gamer or those wanting to transition to the MS ecosystem in the hopes of that applying nicely to Windows gaming. I think the average PS4 gamers won't find Scorpio at all attractive any moreso than XB1 owners will be eyeing Neo.

Given no evidence of a radical architectural change, it's more probable at this point in time that there won't be. To believe there will be is to act on faith rather than evidence.

There will be changes between the two chips. Neither of us can know what they are. To assume either way is a fools errand. I only spoke of a possability

That's not what you were saying. You can't "Stay with PS4" and uprgade to Scorpio if you sell the PS4.
If your selling the ps4 you can go to any platform you want

If your friends are important to you, you won't buy a Scorpio! Your suggestion was to keep the PS4 and your PSFriends, and also get a Scorpio. Now you're suggesting get a Scorpio and ditch everything PlayStation, which MrFox had already said wasn't a great option for a list of reasons.

In your example your afraid that the fictional person had both , the problem would become that they would play scorpio so much they wouldn't know about their friends. Why would playing a console that much be a problem. If y our playing it that much you must be enjoying it.
If the PS ecosystem is important for you, for exclusives, friends, existing library, etc., then leaving that to get Scorpio isn't a great idea, whereas upgrading to Neo means you keep all that and get better games. And if you keep the PS4 for that and get a Scorpio as well, that's not great as I cover in my previous post. Scorpio for existing PS4 gamers isn't a great proposition. It'll only appeal to the most hardcore gamer or those wanting to transition to the MS ecosystem in the hopes of that applying nicely to Windows gaming. I think the average PS4 gamers won't find Scorpio at all attractive any moreso than XB1 owners will be eyeing Neo.

Why did xbox 360 owners buy a ps4 ? Surely their friends were on xbox. Things change however and people go with whats popular.

MS is creating a true bridge from the past to the future. All your 360 , one and scorpio games will work on Scorpio . All 360 and one games will work on the one. Sony is far behind in any type of compatability.

There will be changes between the two chips. Neither of us can know what they are. To assume either way is a fools errand. I only spoke of a possability
It's a far less likely possibility when you look at how GPU progress has happened over the years. Maxwell was pretty phenomenal. At this point, sure, maybe MS will get a vastly more power efficient architecture. But with the evidence to hand, which is what everyone (else) is basing this discussion on, Scorpio is likely to cost more than Neo to make.

Yes...but you won't sell it if you want to carry on playing PS4 stuff.

In your example your afraid that the fictional person had both , the problem would become that they would play scorpio so much they wouldn't know about their friends. Why would playing a console that much be a problem. If y our playing it that much you must be enjoying it.
This smacks of trolling, because it was your scenario where you suggested they own both. I merely pointed out some of the issues with owning both, that its not an ideal solution, nor one preferable to most PS4 owners versus getting a Neo. You're now changing the choice presented. There are three for PS4 owners...

1) Keep PS4 and buy a Scorpio. More expensive, two boxes, less than ideal segregation of experiences.
2) Sell PS4 and buy Scoprio. Lose exclusives, existing game library, existing PS friends.
3) Sell PS4 and buy Neo. Keep everything. The only thing lost is not having the best possible graphics.

Why did xbox 360 owners buy a ps4 ?
Because XB1 was quite frankly a shit offering for them when it launched! MS hiked up the price by including Kinect as sntadard and didn't target the core gamer, while offering a lower power box. Ultimately the value wasn't enough to stay. Had XB1 been cheaper (no Kinect) they'd have more likely stayed.

MS is creating a true bridge from the past to the future. All your 360 , one and scorpio games will work on Scorpio . All 360 and one games will work on the one. Sony is far behind in any type of compatability.
That's great news for XB gamers. That doesn't make Scorpio more desirable for PS4 owners who already have games that will run on Neo and won't run on Scorpio, does it?

the point is that if you sell the ps4 and upgrade to neo, you keep all your games, psn subscription, friends list, etc.

I think that we're in uncharted waters and lots can change and surprise. The longer ms left doing this the worst it would get. I think it's early enough into the gen to make people consider getting a Scorpio even if they currently have a ps4.
before lots of people ended up with both ps360, it will be interesting if enough ps4 owners see's Scorpio as a reason to also get an Xbox, which could also have an effect on multiplat sales if they buy the better version.
it may just be worth getting Scorpio as the second console and having ps4 and Scorpio, than just a neo.

flip side is that ps4 owners could be happy, and not care about ms exclusives and better version of exclusives for the extra cost and having to wait. So jump on neo.

It's a far less likely possibility when you look at how GPU progress has happened over the years. Maxwell was pretty phenomenal. At this point, sure, maybe MS will get a vastly more power efficient architecture. But with the evidence to hand, which is what everyone (else) is basing this discussion on, Scorpio is likely to cost more than Neo to make.

What is the evidence ? Polaris was more power efficient than what came before. I am sure AMD will continue to improve power efficiency which is all I claimed. I never claimed how much
Yes...but you won't sell it if you want to carry on playing PS4 stuff.
and if you sell it and buy neo you couldn't access any of the ms stuff

This smacks of trolling, because it was your scenario where you suggested they own both. I merely pointed out some of the issues with owning both, that its not an ideal solution, nor one preferable to most PS4 owners versus getting a Neo. You're now changing the choice presented. There are three for PS4 owners...
Its not trolling. Your the one who suggested playing scorpio to much would introduce a problem.

1) Keep PS4 and buy a Scorpio. More expensive, two boxes, less than ideal segregation of experiences.
2) Sell PS4 and buy Scoprio. Lose exclusives, existing game library, existing PS friends.
3) Sell PS4 and buy Neo. Keep everything. The only thing lost is not having the best possible graphics.

1) Yet you get both eco systems and exclusives. You also get the best experience graphicly for multiplatform games

2) Well you loose sony exclusives but gain MS ones. Yes you will loose your existing game library and ps friends if they don't also buy a scorpio. You do gain 3 generations of video game avaliblity on the xbox side however

3) Well you also loose ms exclusives
Because XB1 was quite frankly a shit offering for them when it launched! MS hiked up the price by including Kinect as sntadard and didn't target the core gamer, while offering a lower power box. Ultimately the value wasn't enough to stay. Had XB1 been cheaper (no Kinect) they'd have more likely stayed.

We will see what happens with this new change next year.

That's great news for XB gamers. That doesn't make Scorpio more desirable for PS4 owners who already have games that will run on Neo and won't run on Scorpio, does it?

Games may run on neo but the ones they have may look no better on the ps4 neo

so much is unknown and could make a huge difference, is the time between neo and Scorpio's release, a year or closer to 6 months, is difference in price $50-$200, does ms have any vr stuff to show prior to neos release as spoiler, exclusives and multi plats with enough of a difference to show to make people consider waiting, and steal sonys thunder.

what makes it so exciting is that it's not just about one company executing, it's two at the same time.

1) Yet you get both eco systems and exclusives. You also get the best experience graphicly for multiplatform games
Yes, it's the best solution as the most expensive solution often is... (excepting no cross play between Scorpio and PS4, so you won't be able to play COD on the Scorpio iif you still want to play with your PSMates, so it'll collect dust)

3) Well you also loose ms exclusives
Which isn't a problem for PS4 owners who don't own an XB1 and so don't much care for MS's exclusives. Remember we're tlaking about PS4 owners here, not the general consumer.

Games may run on neo but the ones they have may look no better on the ps4 neo
And the Scorpio games may look no better then the XB1 versions for people without 4K TVs. We can all throw polarised 'maybes' around. The discussion was at its best when people presented more realistic options and comparisons and references.

You asked for reasons why PS4 owners wouldn't want to upgrade to Scorpio. They've been given.

Last edited:
I was talking about the power difference showing up in games. This time that advantage will be on MS's side creating a halo product for them. Ps4- Neo or PS4 to Scorpio . If Scorpio has the better looking and playing games why would anyone go for Neo ?

I guess the same reason people buy the XBO today and the PS3 last gen - exclusives (ignoring prices). However you keep ignoring my point that this is a mid gen change, why would anyone 'throw away' a collection of games for a relatively small upgrade from Neo to Scorpio?

Neo will release first, people will buy the Neo because it's out first and they likely have a PS4 so will upgrade - when Scorpio is released why would they throw away their collection to then switch to Scorpio? Why not just upgrade their PC if they're that much of a graphics whore?

So basicly stay with a ps4 and upgrade to Scorpio. Why would they go from a $350-$400 to another $400 + system ?
As shift said, most gamers want one box so upgrade the PS4 and get a cheap Neo that will play all your old games, this isn't rocket science.

Which isn't a problem for PS4 owners who don't own an XB1 and so don't much care for MS's exclusives. Remember we're tlaking about PS4 owners here, not the general consumer.
This and if they do, then they can upgrade their PC which makes much more sense because it will give a wider selection of exclusives and upgrade all my PC games.

flip side is that ps4 owners could be happy, and not care about ms exclusives and better version of exclusives for the extra cost and having to wait. So jump on neo.

You don't mean like last gen? Where the more expensive - car crash of a launch PS3 still managed to outsell the X360 every year it was out? But X360 had better versions of cross plat games...surely no-one bought the PS3 in eastmens world?

He's forever changing the argument - he must be a politician!
It's okay, we all know how he plays. Part of the discussion here, we have personalities who always play one side or other. Reminds me of those rigged wrestling matches, where a fighter gets the upper hand and then walks around the ring, giving the other guy time to get up and grab him from behind. eastmen has to come up with exaggerated pro-MS viewpoints for that side of the arguments, and he plays his part very well. Without fail, he'll suggest MS can make everything cheaper and better, no matter how many times that doesn't play out. Actually it's more a case of claiming Sony will make everything worse and least valued, such as VR versus PC solutions.

It could stress people out, but it's just idle banter and anyone can walk away from it. That's the mature response for internet discussions, rather than getting dragged down into arguments about who's changing the discussion etc. That way lies madness!

Buying a Scorpio will cost more because there's no trade-in option, require a second box and the faf of that (what if your friends are playing COD on PSN and they want you to join in, but you're playing Scorpio at the time and have no idea they're even online?), and provide the PS4 exclusive experience in a lower quality than the person wanting a more powreful console would like.

"Some of our retail partners today do trade-in programs and that’s definitely going to be partnerships we continue to move going forward," he says. "We want to make that transition as smooth as possible. The compatibility thing is a big deal, because you feeling you have to give up your games isn’t a good feeling, so we take that angst out of the equation. We’ll try partnerships with our retail partners to smooth it even more with trade-in programs and things like that."

Andrew McCarthy - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/15/project-scorpio-microsofts-dave-mccarthy-xbox-one/

Back