Tripple Buffering, Nvidia FastSync, Display Chains

If possible, the optimal solution is actually Vsync + frame pacing, as that gets you a minimal latency for the whole frame. Respectively if the frame pacing works correctly, turning Vsync on or off shouldn't make a difference (in theory!) as the present should be timed properly with the V-blank. It's pretty difficult to tune that correctly though, as every micro stutter in the render path will also cause the pacing to be thrown off.
I would argue that the optimal solution in most cases would be to get a variable refresh rate monitor (with a wide range) as this eliminates the synchronization to the display through backpressure, too (as long as the frame rate is lower than the max refresh of the monitor). One doesn't need to think about a different rate of generating and displaying frames and how to work around the arising issues if one simply synchronizes the display to the generation of the frames.

If possible, the optimal solution is actually Vsync + frame pacing, as that gets you a minimal latency for the whole frame
No, I think you are sort of missing the main target (reason) of this....

I can see the power issue, but that is something better resolved by in-engine framerate limiters IMHO.

I would argue that the optimal solution in most cases would be to get a variable refresh rate monitor (with a wide range) as this eliminates the synchronization to the display through backpressure, too (as long as the frame rate is lower than the max refresh of the monitor). One doesn't need to think about a different rate of generating and displaying frames and how to work around the arising issues if one simply synchronizes the display to the generation of the frames.

Full ack. As long as we are talking about 24-144 Hertz and with a powerful GPU. On high refreshrate-displays you can often use v-sync off without getting too much or get any tearing as long as you stay below 2/3rd of the refreshrate. The input lag is insanely low. I had one for 5 years and know what i'm talking about. ;)

What i want to know if fast sync will come to Maxwell too.

Back