tabs

Veteran
Supporter
Enjoy sim racing?

Got myself a new Thrustmaster T500RS wheel and pedals set yesterday and decided to fire up rFactor 2 for the first time in a while. The game has come a long way since I last played, both in usability and in visual appeal.

It is still a very hardcore simulator, so many of the gamey elements and hooks aren't present. In fact race teams around the world use it to train drivers and develop race cars. It also has (to many) unmatched force feedback.

It's on steam sale at the moment if you have the urge.

Fair warning though: to play online you need to pay a subscription or buy the lifetime pass version, however the subscription is <£10 per year. Most of the online servers are unpopulated, with few people racing with random strangers. The real meat of the online experience is either playing with friends and/or joining a third party league.

For solo play, the AI is generally extremely good. It occasionally behaves stupidly on some sections of modded tracks. Overall though it's regarded as the best race AI out there and can fool you into thinking you're racing against human opponents.

Last night, @cjo and I had a few runs at Silverstone, Melbourne and another track whose name escapes me using either the Renault Megane or the Formula ISI (essentially Formula 1 without the trademark) and had a great old time of it with much crashing, bumping and spinning out. Would be cool if other B3Ders wished to join the fun.

I too loved the original. Come race with us in rF2. It's definitely a step up. There's a free demo available if you want to try it out. It doesn't have the breadth of mods that rF1 did, but the quality is right up there.

Yep I've got a TrackIR. Currently running a projector setup rather than triple monitor. Ideally rF2 would have rift support. Until then I'll be sat a few feet from a 120" screen. Not curved sadly, but it gets used for movies too so that's out of the question.

I will try the demo, cant buy the game as it's not available retail (in a local shop)
ps: If you need more buttons on your t500 buy a wireless keypad and stick it to the middle of the wheel
thats what I do with my g25

I've heard of people doing that with keypads, not a bad idea. Going to be building a dedicated unit soon for the wheel and a racing seat. Will probably end up getting a USB buttons+switches panel. There's not a huge deal of room to stick a little keypad on this wheel as it would obscure some of the existing buttons.

It's hard, but the unavailability and expensiveness of VR in Europe is helping - I'm going to wait until the end of the year before I invest in anything. But then it may well be that I go all out with one or more VR headsets (PC and PS4), a Playseat and a new wheel (T500RS or perhaps the new one that Kazunori suggested is coming and co-developed which should be the first direct drive one)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I'm waiting for gen 2 with the hopes of increased resolution. Hope it doesn't take them too long.

If you have a wheel that functions you are welcome to join us. Up until the other day I was using a 10+ year old Logitech Momo. You just have to dial down the FF a great deal on the older wheels.

Sent from my PC using Chrome

Okay, for those getting this game there are a couple of things that will hugely improve your experience that you should take the time to do (20 mins?).

1. Grab the TrackMap plugin from here
This basically adds an extra HUD with a ton of useful information. It's fully customizable in game - just press ALT + SPACE to get the menu then use arrow keys and Enter to navigate. With an object selected move your mouse to reposition it. Simple.

2. Set up your force feedback (FFB) correctly using the guide found here
This guide is not particularly well written, in that he makes corrections at the end of the text but doesn't fix some of the main body with those corrections. Basically each step you do just check the edits at the end to make sure it's the most up to date information. For example you don't have to edit any files, the FFB torque parameter is available in game.

Those two are what I would consider pretty essential improvements to the game, particularly the second. By default there can be a lot of software clipping going on. Imagine listening to your favourite classical music with a heavily distorting pre-amp, then hearing it with correct levels in all it's dynamic glory. Note that this is set on a per car basis, and not all cars will be the same. The process is very quick after you've done it once. I found that a great track to use was Spa, as going up the hill at full speed after you exit the pits will clip the FFB if it's going to clip. Makes tuning it very fast.

3. If you're FOV challenged, or just want the extra help in avoiding collisions, there is a great radar plug-in that will keep you aware of what's going on around you. Available here.

@Arwin Didn't understand if you already had rF2 or not and were just talking about investing in better hardware for it. Do you already own the game and a wheel?

3. If you're FOV challenged, or just want the extra help in avoiding collisions, there is a great radar plug-in that will keep you aware of what's going on around you. Available here.
@tabs insists that you install this plug-in if you cut across in front of him like this:

:p

It's good fun, people should join in!

I don't recall insisting anything.

It should be noted that we were playing with invulnerability on in that race. Car crashes don't normally look like that. :)

Every time I run rfactor 2 it downloads everything from the steam workshop its killing my diskspace i'm down to 48k
how to i stop this ?

ps: what packages are needed and what can i delete ?
pps: installed the spa track

Last edited:
Odd. Did you subscribe to a bunch of things? IIRC you are only autosubscribed to official ISI content. I suppose you could unsubscribe to specific cars / locations you don't want. How big is the folder? For reference mine is 31.7GB with a bunch of 3rd party tracks and cars. Not too huge for a modern game with a lot of content.

I've not been playing much this last week. You should add CJ on steam though he is on most evenings. I'll be sure to jump on soon though.

Back