Health, Food and Exercise thread

The scale I use is a "Omron BF 511", I hope its somewhat accurate (claimed to be by various reviews), you have to hold a handle and its 8 contact points in total, not one of those that just test your legs. I dunno what more accurate and feasible ways of measuring body composition are (feasible as in not using radiation or doin a postum autopsy) - I think doctors will use the BIA Method aswell?
The values go around a bit during the day with (de-)hydration and other stuff, but thats normal with this method? I planned to weight myself regularly in the morning, but I usually just stay in bed until I have to literally jump in my clothes and run out - so I dont have data under similar circumstances :D

V3: According to my tables, 10-20% BF would be normal for males my age.

BIA is "Bioelectrical impedance analysis".. which is exactly what you're using?
I was told that accurate measurement of body fat is done the low tech way. Someone meticulously take measures of your body parts, touches and squeezes your fatties and that's all!
It's more expensive than stepping on an electrical machine, because a qualified person is working on you.

Funnily taking on muscle mass can increase your fat rate. If you're a skinny, "dry bones" kid/young adult you have very low fat, even in the unhealthy range. Then after taking up some muscle mass at the gym the fat rate increases (well, according to the impedance machine at the gym), 'cos it's a component of muscle, and tissue in general.

Now years later my metabolism/activity have slowed down and I eats lots of fat (cheese, oils, fries, sausages kind of food, duck, cheese), but not sugar. No idea what my fat rate is, but bigger than before. I'm slim with a slight belly. I joked that I'll become a skinny man with a big fat beer belly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting datapoint on this stuff here. I've been training very hard and dieting as I get ready for racing season (cycling) and I actually got to a point where I was running up to 1500 kcal daily deficits, I wasn't hungry and I wasn't losing weight. My cortisol had shot up putting me into "starvation mode."

I finally realized this was why I wasn't hungry, bumped the kcals (800 max deficit per day) and cut back a bit on training (1.5-2 hours only six days a week down from 2-3 hours seven days) and I started dropping weight again. The other good news is my lactate threshold watts (determined via stress test with blood samples every 3 minutes) has risen 14% since starting this training regime in November.

BTW, the gold standard for bodyfat measurement is immersion or gas displacement. Pinch methods are like +-10-12%. They love them at my gym though because they can throw someone's photo up and claim they're at 12% after being at 20% 90 days ago. The trouble is that at 12% you should have six pack abs and I should be able to make out the line between the two heads of your quadriceps in your legs without you even flexing...so no, that guy is not 12% but at least he feels good for working his ass off for 90 days so that's good.

Wife and I have been trying to eat more paleo-oriented meals (less processed stuff, more natural foods). Just bought a Spirit XE-295 elliptical that was installed down in the basement yesterday, my 10yo daughter was the first to use it (and she used it again this morning).

I need to lose weight, badly. I was in great shape 10 years ago but after hurting the rotator of my left shoulder and not getting it repaired for years, I basically stopped lifting and have been steadily gaining weight year after year. I turn 50 this Nov and would like to be back in decent shape by then. Started lifting again, shoulder is holding up, though it's a bit depressing at how much less weight I move these days compared to my mid-30s, but I'll get some of that back as I rebuild some muscle.

You young guys reading this, go lift weights. I have a face only a mother could love, but when I was in shape early last decade I had women at work throwing themselves at me from ages 25-50. I could never understand it, must be anthropological on some level (he's fit, thus he's fertile, a good hunter/provider), but my female boss wanted me to file sexual harassment against some of the women because they wouldn't keep their hands off me (one actually asked me outloud if I'd come to her house during lunch and get her pregnant).

Sadly, those days are gone. But it was always a nice esteem boost when it happened.

I had shoulder surgery last Feb. A clavicle excision. The whole reason was arthritis in the joint that prevented me from getting past 255 lbs on bench press (used to do 315). Well, the surgeon messed it up more so now I don't do bench press at all anymore. Fortunately I'm still good for push-ups so I do a couple hundred of those every couple days. :(

Obviously bulk is undesired for cycling as it's all about watts per kg of mass, but my coach put me on a great weights routine this winter and it's really improved my overall power without adding much net mass (fat loss, muscle gain). I'm down 40 lbs from 2 years ago but still doing 45# dumbbell curls (real ones not the strange shoulder exercises with 90 degree elbows you see some people toss around at the gym). As for diet, I count, count, count everything and keep my protein up and stay away from any booze about 25 days per month.

I think one of the main advantages of higher protein is simply the number of chemical reactions needed to convert protein to energy and then to storable energy (fat). Of course good carbs are really key especially before a hard training session.

I'm 47 and plan to be racing CAT3 at 50 in spite of being 35-40 lbs overweight at 45. :)

Hey, does anyone have any good tips for fighting numb toes when on a crosstrainer?

Last time I did a workout my toes went so numb I couldn't feel anything but pinpricks in them. Was hella uncomfortable!

So I fell hard hitting 350 at 6'4 . That was last Nov . I am now 304. I'm training for a 5k by doing couch to 5k right now. I'm hoping to be down to 260lbs by Nov when I do a 5 and 10k in Disney.

Anyone else jog ?

Hey, does anyone have any good tips for fighting numb toes when on a crosstrainer?

Last time I did a workout my toes went so numb I couldn't feel anything but pinpricks in them. Was hella uncomfortable!
Did you wear shoes?

This probably sounds sarcastic but it's not - make sure your shoe laces aren't too tight.
Unless you're doing heavy deadlifts/squats or running you want them loose. All too easy to cut off circulation when they swell.

Realistically though it's one of those things that does happen on ellipticals now and again. It happens less if you shift your feet around occasionally - ie: to front/back of the foot plate. It's because you're pushing with the front of your foot and not moving it - you can make it better by pushing more with your heels (hard to do in practice) or going backwards every now and again.

Last edited:
I start swimming and I've to confess that I like it a lot. I've never been a crawl swimmer and I guess I never will.
I believe that swimming style is somehow oversold, or possibly more accurately the others strokes are underrated if not held by regulation.
Anyway as a leisure swimmer so far I enjoy the exercise, the strokes that attract me the most are breastroke and butterfly.
Oh... and freestyle kicking is a bitch, not too mention nobody seem to agree to the extend of its usefullness depending on the distance you plan to swim.

I was a competition swimmer in my youth, but that was a loong time ago now. My knees are busted, so I can't swim breast stroke very well.

I eat a lot of pork skins. The hot ones make me sweat which counts as exercise I think.

Still swimming, finally figured out why I could not really swim freestyle slow and for any length of time: I was only using the strength in my left shoulder and arm to initiate the rotation after I breath (I can breath both side but my good side is the right one). I'm happy from there I should be able to really workout as I think I got the basic technique down.
Other than that my favorite stoke is no stroke, dolphin kick or snaky kick :) I start training in butterfly a little, I can do 25m and a little more but as for freestyle people that do it right can do it slow are relatively effortlessly.
Overall after a little less than three months I took quite a liking into it, I just regret freestyle is te most efficient one as it is my least favorite one. I also swim in 50m swimming pool and it is a little too much for learning but it also make clear if you are overexerting yourself in wrong way?

I finished week 5 of the couch to 10k program. It had me run 20minutes straight ! But my fat ass did it !
Don't go too fast ;)
I start running a little in the US. I stop when I went back in France and I gained some weight too. Then stopped smoking I had an urge for running and burning energy. Result extra weight and a body that is not the one of a long time runner: Achille's tendon are damaged...
Try to pay lot of attention to your shoes and your feet (pronation or supination), etc. Running is high impact, it takes a long time to get used especially if you did not run as a kid (play foot, soccer, etc. a lot). There is technique too.

Running is exhausting and you can get "high" somehow, like while doing heavy lifting. It strengthens the body a lot, it is pleasing once you can last a reasonable amount of time and get "caught" into the effort but it is high impact. Be carefull with the "fast" programs, it seems to me that muscles and heart, etc. adapt faster than bones and tendons. The issue seems to be the same with high intensity training (like crossfit) one need a good catch as every body reacts differently but from my experience people that did not do sport seriously as kids for any length of time tends to hurt themselves fast.

Anyway forget about it I'm just try to get you to swim... man I'm contaminated, water is such an interesting element you had to "think" it to swim better.

Last edited:
I did the couch to 5k (C25k) program last year, and I can only recommend it to everybody.
Overweight ? It doesn't matter I probably had more extra weight than you
Not a runner ? It doesn't matter I wasn't either
And now today, I can actually contemplate running for an hour at legitimate speeds
I eventually hurt my knee a little bit though, first step is to invest in a good pair of shoes, and go slow

Don't go too fast ;)
I start running a little in the US. I stop when I went back in France and I gained some weight too. Then stopped smoking I had an urge for running and burning energy. Result extra weight and a body that is not the one of a long time runner: Achille's tendon are damaged...
Try to pay lot of attention to your shoes and your feet (pronation or supination), etc. Running is high impact, it takes a long time to get used especially if you did not run as a kid (play foot, soccer, etc. a lot). There is technique too.

Running is exhausting and you can get "high" somehow, like while doing heavy lifting. It strengthens the body a lot, it is pleasing once you can last a reasonable amount of time and get "caught" into the effort but it is high impact. Be carefull with the "fast" programs, it seems to me that muscles and heart, etc. adapt faster than bones and tendons. The issue seems to be the same with high intensity training (like crossfit) one need a good catch as every body reacts differently but from my experience people that did not do sport seriously as kids for any length of time tends to hurt themselves fast.

Anyway forget about it I'm just try to get you to swim... man I'm contaminated, water is such an interesting element you had to "think" it to swim better.

Trust me I can't go to fast lol. I'm running at like a 4.4 on the treadmill or a 15 minute mile . A 5k is 3.1 miles so it will take me about 48 minutes to do one right now. I want to get down to under 45 minutes for a 5k in Nov I am doing.

I went to a store and had them watch me walk and run they recommend shoes and I had inserts made and I feel a lot better when I run.

I'm doing C210k . It starts off slow . Each week is 3 days , week 1 is 5 minute warmup walk then alternating 60 second jogs with 90 seconds of walking for 20 minutes total and then a 5 minute cool down walk.

Week 3 is 5 minute warmup , 2 repetitions of jogging for 90 seconds walk for 90 seconds jog 3 walk 3. I'm on week 6 which is 5 minute warm up , jog 1mile or 10 mins , walk 1/4mile or 3mins , jog 1 mile or 10 mins then cool down walk.

The 5k program is 8 weeks and is built into the 10k program. By week 8 your just jogging 30minutes strait which is great. Speed comes later.

I too love swimming but its really expensive. A gym with a pool is easily going to be $100 + a month and when you get there sometimes the pool is full unless you go ungodly early or late. I have a pool but its only good from like June through august and I can complete a lap in it in like two breast strokes. Its a large above ground but its a circle not meant for laps.

I did the couch to 5k (C25k) program last year, and I can only recommend it to everybody.
Overweight ? It doesn't matter I probably had more extra weight than you
Not a runner ? It doesn't matter I wasn't either
And now today, I can actually contemplate running for an hour at legitimate speeds
I eventually hurt my knee a little bit though, first step is to invest in a good pair of shoes, and go slow

I dunno I started at 6'4 350lbs . I had to restart multiple times tho. I am doing C210k which is just the 10k equivalent. I want to build up to do a half marathon next fall.

I did something akin to that with my wife and a friend of her while I was in the US. I truth be told I had no issue at the time, I'm not sure what triggered the issue in France, most likely the increased load (both weight and volume). You pay a lot of attention so I'm sure you will be good (gear is indeed important). You should search for people, it is great to run at low speed chatting :)
In effect it would be a plateau in performances but it may not be a bad idea to sort of "consolidate" a little before moving to the next step. I may be a little to wary about running now but I hurt myself and I've seen others do too. Contrary to the swimming pool it is addictive, like endorphine and it is easily done to disregard tiny pains here and there, etc.
Anyway, exercising is great and I miss running, you can do it anywhere and everywhere you want (+/-), meet people. Swimming is a lot more complicated and I've yet to practice in the cold months...

I did something akin to that with my wife and a friend of her while I was in the US. I truth be told I had no issue at the time, I'm not sure what triggered the issue in France, most likely the increased load (both weight and volume). You pay a lot of attention so I'm sure you will be good (gear is indeed important). You should search for people, it is great to run at low speed chatting :)
In effect it would be a plateau in performances but it may not be a bad idea to sort of "consolidate" a little before moving to the next step. I may be a little to wary about running now but I hurt myself and I've seen others do too. Contrary to the swimming pool it is addictive, like endorphine and it is easily done to disregard tiny pains here and there, etc.
Anyway, exercising is great and I miss running, you can do it anywhere and everywhere you want (+/-), meet people. Swimming is a lot more complicated and I've yet to practice in the cold months...

I got really fat hitting my peak last year at 350. I was sick all the time had acid reflux , heart burn and after eating i'd be in the bathroom all the time. So I've started and failed the 5k training multiple times but while doing it from nov till june I droped 50lbs and I've been kinda stuck at that. BBQs and then my B-Day will do it lol. However I signed myself up for the Disney 5k and 10k to force myself to stick with it. I was going to go and spend all that money to simply fail. So I've kept with it. I am going to be able to fully run the 5k but the 10k I will walk and run most of it.

The Idea for me is that when I go for the 5/10k in Nov I will be completed with the 5k training and a week or two into the 10k training. I figure I finish out the 10k training before the end of the year and just run 10ks 3 times a week. Since it will be cold and stuff here in the NE I will do this inside . Once it gets nice I will then start training for the half which is 13.1 miles. But by then I will be running 6.2 miles for a few months . I will then have from around May/ June till Nov to up my mileage for the Half. I also plan to be another 50lbs less for the Half (250lbs).

But I am worried about injuries and I have an older cousin who runs a lot . He is actually doing the challenge at Disney which is the 5k,10k ,Half one day after the other. So he has been giving advice of what to do and what to avoid and so far so good. If I can't' finish the run for that day of the program I drop back to the day before and run that the next time. Then I try again to pass the day I had problems with. So far so good. I also know if I get a pain that isn't normal to stop. I've fucked my body up enough at this point

Back