AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant type much but...I couldnt resist it

AMD-Uprising-2.jpg

DONT SILENCE US, SILENCE THE GPU!

Welp, the RX 480 is just as disappointing in terms of power and mm^2 scaling as I feared, and for sales it doesn't matter for shit. Even with numerous reports of vast stock Newegg is entirely sold out on day 1. To be fair to AMD, Nvidia has been harnessing the power of PR for the last several years straight, it's about time AMD has caught up.

But I wonder what the hell went wrong?

I don't think it is quite that bad.... die size seems reasonable to me. The geometry performance/unit is definitely improved (just wish they had recognized that as an opportunity to lead not just catch up). The performance/$ is very good. I don't even really care about the power consumption (though I can see this being an issue for mobile applications), just the heat and noise that goes with it. I was planning on buying a reference one, but now I think I'll wait for the custom designs and the GTX1060. I'd rather have 8GB of memory than 6GB, but if the 1060 is both cooler and quieter that will be pretty hard to resist.

The 150w+ on 150w issue is kinda odd as well. I mean why even fly that close to the sun...

I don't think it is quite that bad...
Imagine an alternate reality, where, for the last 6 months, AMD had only promoted features where it actually did well.

You'd get reviews saying that the 480 is a great value, with significantly improved perf/W, though not at the level of Pascal. And that would be that.

But for some reason, every mouthpiece at AMD decide to promote a feature where it truly sucks.

Like an overclocker's dream, the negative tone of 480 reactions is one that could have been completely avoided.

Maybe it's a process issue and maybe they thought in December that it was solvable between early silicon and launch. Well, maybe that's a good lesson too about why you keep your mouth shut until you're closer to launch.

But for some reason, every mouthpiece at AMD decide to promote a feature where it truly sucks.
Typical AMD, IMHO. Do a bunch of stuff right, then one or two things that just leave you scratching your head. Really though, for the desktop market, I imagine price is still > *. So maybe they can gain some market share and even make some money.

The 150w+ on 150w issue is kinda odd as well. I mean why even fly that close to the sun...

The PCIe certification actually might be forgiving on short-lived wobbles above 150W, with a somewhat generous spirit as to how long is too long. If the significant overdraw on the PCIe slot is consistent and to the magnitude Tomshardware measured, it might be too much.
Could the way it's being measured be throwing off the boot-time calibration?

For how long? See 1060 rumors.
On the glass half-full side: if that means that upmarket GPUs get past the 4-engine architectural limit of prior GCN versions and the scaling is maintained, then that might mean there's a possibility of getting past that long-lived plateau.

But, yes, as Rys mentioned, too much reliance on pre-product release hype from 3rd party websites (Videocardz/WCCF/Etc.) greatly inflated expectations for a card targeted at the 199 USD price point.
If customers do feel like expectations were poorly managed, then AMD is certainly partially responsible for that. They were the ones comparing it to the 4870.

The PCIe certification actually might be forgiving on short-lived wobbles above 150W, with a somewhat generous spirit as to how long is too long. If the significant overdraw on the PCIe slot is consistent and to the magnitude Tomshardware measured, it might be too much.
Could the way it's being measured be throwing off the boot-time calibration?

On the glass half-full side: if that means that upmarket GPUs get past the 4-engine architectural limit of prior GCN versions and the scaling is maintained, then that might mean there's a possibility of getting past that long-lived plateau.

so far 7 sites have seen this where power goes above the 150 watts max. I'm sure there will be more. This doesn't seem to be a one off occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back