Overwatch [PC] Blizzard

30% damage nerf, but just on console fortunately. I think they should have just lowered it's rotational / target acquisition speed. That's the problem right, is that game pad input has a fixed rot speed, or at any rate acceleration that makes it hard to quickly target?
That's a bit too much IMHO. I was hoping for a smaller change.

They had already plans to improve D.Va. No matter what kind of improvements she gets, people are going to play her more. D.Va's self destruct clears a room filled with turrets (3+ times per match). Her Defense Matrix also fully protects her team against any amount of turrets or Bastions for 3 seconds (high amount of damage doesn't wear Defense Matrix out). That's plenty of time for the team mates to shoot down a turret and escape + repeat (Defense Matrix reloads in 10 seconds). If D.Va's Defense Matrix gets a buff (for example +1 second to shield time), she is even better against multiple turrets.

Now that turret damage is reduced by 30%, D.Va actually lives for much longer, since her HP is mostly armor, and armor reduces (up to) 5 damage per hit. D.Va thus takes 44% less damage from turrets (until her 400 HP armor runs out). With her forthcoming buff (whatever that might be) and turret nerf, she becomes the ultimate turret killer. Unfortunately the turret nerf will greatly reduce the number of Torb players, meaning that D.Va will see less play.

Yesterday was really crazy (and annoying!!)...I literally lost 7 games in a row in sudden death, either only a meter away, both 99% at the third flag, time ended etc etc...this is really unlucky, meh!

Any good advice what strategy to use in sudden death, which hero e.g.?

I tend to favour Winston, though he becomes exponentially better if you can run two of them at once, due to chaining shields and stacking AoE primary damage. He's also very quick to the fight.

I think my ideal setup is double winston, lucio, mercy, pharah and possibly reaper to counter the enemy winstons. Last two are dependent on map and enemy composition, but I'd say the first four are almost always correct.

So yeah. Pick winston, unless your team doesn't have a lucio. Even if you already have a mercy, pick lucio. The two together are really good in almost any situation. If you already have 2 Winstons, a mercy and a lucio then rejoice because you're probably going to win, and you're free to pick a dps that works against the enemy.

Yesterday was really crazy (and annoying!!)...I literally lost 7 games in a row in sudden death, either only a meter away, both 99% at the third flag, time ended etc etc...this is really unlucky, meh!

Any good advice what strategy to use in sudden death, which hero e.g.?
Advice: Don't respawn as Zarya if you have died defending the objective at overtime. It takes her a little bit longer to get back (slow + no movement ability). She also respawns with 0% energy. You likely just die again. The exception is that your ultimate is near 100%. In that case hope that you get back there before "Defeat" and wipe the enemy out :)

On defense Reinhard is a good pick. He doesn't die easily and allows your team to quickly regroup behind him.

Yes, definitely there are certain situations where Reinhardt would be preferable to our favourite monkey man. Particularly if you are spawning very close to the objective and the enemy is trying to pick your team off from range.

Generally though a good team will be heavily pushing the point with closer range characters. Rein is less useful here, unless you have a really favourable choke point.

Last edited:
That's a bit too much IMHO. I was hoping for a smaller change.

They had already plans to improve D.Va. No matter what kind of improvements she gets, people are going to play her more. D.Va's self destruct clears a room filled with turrets (3+ times per match). Her Defense Matrix also fully protects her team against any amount of turrets or Bastions for 3 seconds (high amount of damage doesn't wear Defense Matrix out). That's plenty of time for the team mates to shoot down a turret and escape + repeat (Defense Matrix reloads in 10 seconds). If D.Va's Defense Matrix gets a buff (for example +1 second to shield time), she is even better against multiple turrets.

Now that turret damage is reduced by 30%, D.Va actually lives for much longer, since her HP is mostly armor, and armor reduces (up to) 5 damage per hit. D.Va thus takes 44% less damage from turrets (until her 400 HP armor runs out). With her forthcoming buff (whatever that might be) and turret nerf, she becomes the ultimate turret killer. Unfortunately the turret nerf will greatly reduce the number of Torb players, meaning that D.Va will see less play.

Seems like overkill to me too. Then again, this site shows him and Symmetra sitting at ~70% win rates, 10% higher than PC. Perhaps Blizz is feeling uneasy about the long cert times associated with patching the console versions, and would rather err on the side of nerf. I've never played an FPS with a game pad, but using one against an aimbot sounds frustrating as hell, or at the very least discouraging to the wide audience Blizzard is courting. Perhaps Torb just goes in the penalty box for a while as they rethink how certain design elements play out on console.

The 30% nerf is weird to me, doesn't seem so elegant and smart to be honest. And I wonder if it will even help at all! Now, the single Torb is weak. However, stacking 4 of them...I wonder if 30% do even matter.

On console, playing a 200HP character, it takes about 3 seconds to get killed. Typically you are in the line of sight of two turrets when Torb is stacked. This means who have roughly 1.5-2 sec to kill (one turret+Torb, or he will rebuilt it immediately) or maybe only get out of the line of sight to survive. 30% damage nerf buys you what? .5 a second or so...so it doesn't change at all imo?!? I can't believe this, or there is more to it. Doesn't sound Blizzard to me.

If this is true however, they did exactly the opposite of what I hoped for: nerf single Torb to make him unattractive on its own. Instead no penalty for Torb stacking, the real problem.

Meh!?

The 30% nerf is weird to me, doesn't seem so elegant and smart to be honest. And I wonder if it will even help at all! Now, the single Torb is weak. However, stacking 4 of them...I wonder if 30% do even matter.
Feels like it was rushed. Most likely they added it late to the console patch containing McCree and Widowmaker patches. Adjusting a single value can be safely done late in cert process, without a need of re-submission.

I agree. This 30% nerf alone only slightly helps against turret stacking (but hurts lone Torb a lot). In the future, this nerf really matters against D.Va (44% reduction towards her). It is likely that her forthcoming buff is going to make her more often played character in random paired matches. This alone will make Torb stacking strategy much worse (Self Destruct and Defense Matrix are both MVPs against Torb/Bastion stacking). Now she can also use rocket thruster + def matrix to fly to a turret unharmed and kill it solely by herself (44% damage reduction is huge in this case). Also when the McCree nerf patch is released on consoles, it should also slightly reduce the turret stacking strength, as some console McCree players switch to other character (and that character is most likely better suited killing turrets). I personally don't think turret stacking is going to be a huge problem on consoles once these patches are out. Too bad they killed single Torb in the process :(

Last edited:
Holy moly...in high level games, there is no chance against stacked Torb. When the Torb is a good player in addition...there is nothing you can do, even the 30% nerf won't change this, I am afraid.

I am talking about public games with randoms, which I do...without perfect team coordination.

The problem is in addition: the constant dying in turret fire seems to fill the ults...in a round I played, one of the three Torbs was melting core...quite difficult.

Other than that: had great games with ol Winston, Pharah, Lucio and Junkrat.

I play Lucio when I can bounce heros from the map.

I play Winston when attacking and the team composition is good.

Nowadays, I play JR only in defense and only when the game is tight...he is super strong in defense imo.

I like playing Pharah in defense mainly (to sneak behind lines) and sometimes in offense.

When you change heros throughout a game...how do the statistics work? Is every hero getting the victory??

I'm conflicted.

One one hand it's nice to see a thriving PC game thread on B3D, on the other... well I think it's infectious. I've even found myself posting a console gameplay video to engage with the filthy rascals.

Played the first rounds of qualifier!

Was ok. Except one match, where one of my team members left. A countdown of 60 sec started. Once finished, it stated "you can leave the match now without penalty, however the match will count as loss". Of course, an other member left, we were 4 vs 6 and got crushed!

Will play more tomorrow...

Bollocks to playing ranked by myself right at the start. Going to try to leapfrog some of the frustrating stuff you get at lower MMR levels by playing it purely with friends - at least until the dust settles a bit. Hopefully can get to a point where people at least know what to do, and maybe even communicate. Won't mind hopping in with randoms if that's the case.

I know teamwork is powerful in many games, but this one really magnifies that power. It's a shame when people don't seem aware of just how strong that aspect is and treat it like a regular objective based shooter. It's like playing half the game.

Getting an everyday bunch of random nerds to open up and work together in a somewhat vocal and positive manner is a challenge I'm sure won't be solved easily, even by Blizzard.

Last edited:
After some ranked matches I am now convinced that if a team doesn't have Reinhard + Lucio, that team has significantly lower chance to win. Not surprised since those two are the only tier 1 characters in most pro tier lists.

But I have noticed that these two characters are actually even more important when pairing is random and there is no communication. Reinhard + Lucio stick together forcing teammates to be drawn near them for healing and shielding. Reinhard's huge shield is an obvious "group with me" symbol. It is obvious to everybody that he leads the team. No communication is needed.

Lucio is OP with Reinhard (40% healing is quite common), but considerably worse when Reinhard is not around, unless the team has multiple other tanks and everybody sticks close to each other. We lost one ranked game badly because everyone was just soloing. Had to pick Lucio because nobody else wanted to play a healer. But team didn't stick together, decreasing my healing performance a lot. One guy switched to Reinhard in the end of a battle and we won that hands down even when they were already at 99%. But for the remaining games he never picked Reinhard again. We lost those games badly.

It sucks that I can't play both Reinhard and Lucio at the same tile :)

After some ranked matches I am now convinced that if a team doesn't have Reinhard + Lucio, that team has significantly lower chance to win. Not surprised since those two are the only tier 1 characters in most pro tier lists.

But I have noticed that these two characters are actually even more important when pairing is random and there is no communication. Reinhard + Lucio stick together forcing teammates to be drawn near them for healing and shielding. Reinhard's huge shield is an obvious "group with me" symbol. It is obvious to everybody that he leads the team. No communication is needed.

Lucio is OP with Reinhard (40% healing is quite common), but considerably worse when Reinhard is not around, unless the team has multiple other tanks and everybody sticks close to each other. We lost one ranked game badly because everyone was just soloing. Had to pick Lucio because nobody else wanted to play a healer. But team didn't stick together, decreasing my healing performance a lot. One guy switched to Reinhard in the end of a battle and we won that hands down even when they were already at 99%. But for the remaining games he never picked Reinhard again. We lost those games badly.

It sucks that I can't play both Reinhard and Lucio at the same tile :)
This is doubly true for maps where both teams are going for the same control point. Whenever I start one of those and there's no Lucio I know we're going down.

Finished my qualifiers with nothing but random matches; 6W 4L with rank 54 which went to 55 after my first real competitive match :)

BTW anything in the 50s is not bad at all.

Yeah, a Lucio is super important...but I got bored playing him right now. I did play him for 1 week straight exclusively or so..

A good Reinhardt is the backbone of a win. But I just can't make him to work well :(

Lucio is the best healer. Mercy players need to be conscious of damage buffing as much as possible and healing only when necessary. The rez ulti needs to be timely.

Reinhardt is awesome, but I find it surprising how many people do not take the opportunity to stick with him. I play Reinhardt quite a bit, and I'll find myself moving a payload by myself while the randoms run around looking for kills.

Can't say I'm enamoured with competitive mode. I'm not sure what the point is. I can see having custom games support that rule set for tournaments, or make it the only mode, but otherwise what's the point of splitting the player base? Why not have everyone play in the same queue and match appropriately from there? The skill rating is effectively a measure of win/loss, but competitive is random queueing anyways. If you play with a group of randoms your win/loss is essentially a coin flip. Other than earning some golden guns, what's the point of competitive? Is there a leaderboard or something? There's no clan/team support either, so ... competing for what? Competitive mode doesn't seem any more competitive than quick play, it just has slightly different rules.

Back