PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alleged RX480 numbers also give a factor of 4 range in the voltage and clock product between the lowest power state and turbo, and 2.5-2.6 for the power state equivalent to Neo's rumored clock.
At an admittedly idealized level, the V^2xC product would give a rough picture of how much more power each state consumes than the previous, with the question of where in the range of leaked power states the GPU was operating in. The greater the portion that the leaked power numbers come from the least-efficient power states, the more Neo could improve by operating in the 911 MHz range.
Neo's rumored RAM speed is also modestly lower than the RX480's, which gives some additional wiggle room for the APU+DRAM power budget, which would be the largest contributor.

Since Neo is also supposedly the premium option, it might be able to adjust the investment in the cooler in order to allow for peak draw that is close but not equal to the PS4 at launch.
jim-carrey-meme.jpg

Of a 5.5tf Neo?

Of course there is a chance of a 5.5TF console, as long as not pirced at 399.
wasn't that the rumour, that there was 2 different possible neo's, the more powerful was more expensive 499? and sony had/have to choose between them.
although I think the rumour was based around the cpu at the time.

wasn't that the rumour, that there was 2 different possible neo's, the more powerful was more expensive 499? and sony had/have to choose between them.
although I think the rumour was based around the cpu at the time.
AFAIR, The rumor never had a price listed for either option. It could be $599 or more or something else entirely.

AFAIR, The rumor never had a price listed for either option. It could be $599 or more or something else entirely.

If we're thinking about the same rumor, each "option" had a target price:

OsirisBlack said:
Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

A follow up post about the target price:

OsirisBlack said:
Talking to Diana and Bob (Hello Bob) the biggest problem is getting the price to the originally promised numbers. Sony does NOT want to revisit a $599 price point. Bob says internally they think waiting to Q1 would be best for helping them come in at the originally promised $499 and that's even if they decided to go for option B.

Also to people saying the specs are not final, they are final there are just two different specs. There are rumors that Sony is planning to release both machines I don't believe this will happen as it would be confusing as shit. Bob (Hello Bob) says one will likely be scrapped (so long blue pill) when the other goes into production. Also states that the form factor and casing could require them to use an external power brick this time around due to heating concerns.

Some context around option B's specs:

OsirisBlack said:
For the sake of keeping confusion down 5.5 was the exact number I have heard floated about option b but the price is pretty steep. I do have a number but cannot share it yet I'm waiting on someone else to post the actual data (Should be soon) before I do another long post.

@Gradthrawn thanks, that's the rumour.

after some discussion in a thread yesterday, it has made my views on this a lot more fluid.
if it's as was being portrayed then the neo option A is just a revised ps4 more like a slim not a ps4.5. Only allowing games to run at steadier fps, and min 1080p.

maybe neo option B is ps4.5. Where games would be allowed to have better fidelity by taking advantage of the additional power

@Gradthrawn thanks, that's the rumour.

after some discussion in a thread yesterday, it has made my views on this a lot more fluid.
if it's as was being portrayed then the neo option A is just a revised ps4 more like a slim not a ps4.5. Only allowing games to run at steadier fps, and min 1080p.

maybe neo option B is ps4.5. Where games would be allowed to have better fidelity by taking advantage of the additional power

Not seeing how you come to that conclusion. They're both the 4.5, the question they are/were debating is price vs power with the added kicker of an earlier launch.

My opinion would be to launch early and cheap, with MS already playing big time catch up there's no way that any additional power Scorpio has will be a significant factor. And if it is, then prepare launching the ps5.

I wonder how much it costs to make two different APUs just in case they change their mind.

The timing is fishy because Sony already decided not to use option B, since they already sent dev kits and documentation for option A, there's no time until Q1 to make a different SoC, or test a gigantic upclock, new enclosure, heat management, new parts procurement including memory binning (they're probably not leaving this at 218 for a 5.5TF GPU), getting production lines ready, get the final revision to pass all worldwide regulations, and THEN start production early enough to accumulate enough stock for launch. When would they be sending the option B devkit? It would need an apology letter "sorry about your testing team's canceled vacations". Even worse, the supposed option B is said to use a different CPU than jaguar.

Maybe they can speed things up, and skip most of the regulatory approval by using an external power supply, then all they have left for approval is RF.

Per the article, there can be a very large difference depending on how bleeding edge a product is and how much of the tech is being reused.

The graph comparing nodes looks to be a more holistic product cost rather than just the chip.
If Neo uses Polaris and a Jaguar derivative, a number of the sections can become significantly smaller.
IP Qualification is either already done due to shared CPU and GPU tech, or Polaris may be splitting this cost across the discrete and console markets. Verification and architecture would have similar "already paid" or "multiple payers" cases.
The apparent similarity between the RX480 and Neo's rumored GPU specs may mean some carryover into verification, and the goal of backwards compatibility, no change in the graphics IP level for Polaris, and a refresh philosophy could mean software costs are reduced.

Some amount of verification would be bespoke and probably paid by Sony, with Physical and Prototype also being more specific.
Validation would have unique components.

The rumored more expensive Neo, if it involves a CPU change, sounds like something significant enough to break reuse. The cost Sony is supposedly balking at might be in all those rectangles like software, verification, qualification, and physical that no longer draw from what has gone before or use something AMD has not amortized either.

I'm curious to see once Polaris and Neo are compared to see how close they actually are to each other and their respective predecessors.

Not seeing how you come to that conclusion. They're both the 4.5, the question they are/were debating is price vs power with the added kicker of an earlier launch.

My opinion would be to launch early and cheap, with MS already playing big time catch up there's no way that any additional power Scorpio has will be a significant factor. And if it is, then prepare launching the ps5.
I did say in regards to conversation I was previously having.
what is a ps4.5? If it's only allowed to run higher frame rate and res, to me that's not much more than say xo slim with its improved 4k scaling and hdr for games.
if you had asked me yesterday, I would've said both option A and B are definitely ps4.5, now I'm not sure i would define them as such, if what was being said is the case.

but, if I stick to my understanding, then I would agree with you.

I'm surprised the 5.5TF is still going strong (due to OsirisBlack), he's either got proper source or will be gatting a life ban by the way things are going! What is interesting (and I think fairly new) is the rumour of an external PSU, this is so unlike Sony - having said that thier slims have had external PSUs. Could OsirisBlack be getting crossed wires and there is a slim coming or could the external PSU mean they got wind of the Scorpio specs and picked up the 'abandond' 5.5TF but with such tight windows have to go for external PSU?

I'll be glad when Sony finally confirm things but I'm guessing it'll be after PSVR launch with a Feb launch now.

I'm surprised the 5.5TF is still going strong (due to OsirisBlack), he's either got proper source or will be gatting a life ban by the way things are going! What is interesting (and I think fairly new) is the rumour of an external PSU, this is so unlike Sony - having said that thier slims have had external PSUs. Could OsirisBlack be getting crossed wires and there is a slim coming or could the external PSU mean they got wind of the Scorpio specs and picked up the 'abandond' 5.5TF but with such tight windows have to go for external PSU?

I'll be glad when Sony finally confirm things but I'm guessing it'll be after PSVR launch with a Feb launch now.

Just the fact his meeting happened what would be 8-12 months from release doesn't ring true for me. Both too much detail yet nothing seems locked down. Why would Sony share such detailed info with GameStop if even they don't know what the thing is yet?

Is it him being played here or is he playing us?

Just the fact his meeting happened what would be 8-12 months from release doesn't ring true for me. Both too much detail yet nothing seems locked down. Why would Sony share such detailed info with GameStop if even they don't know what the thing is yet?

Is it him being played here or is he playing us?
If I recall we also thought we knew Orbis pretty well too. The leaked information were valid to a large extend, and even the devs thought they knew what the PS4 memory would be like. We were expecting less memory and GDDR5 was considered almost impossible. Then they caught everyone by surprise with 8GB of GDDR5 memory.
Perhaps Sony knows how to hide the intended specs by leaking inadequate information?

Doubling the memory capacity wasn't difficult due to clamshell, which is what devkits would have had anyway.

We knew about 4Gbit GDDR5 by late 2012 from manufacturer catalogues.

---

For the moment, GDDR5 tops out with 8Gbit & 8GT/s with GDDR5X taking over @ 10GT/s.

If I remember things correctly, the very first leaks of orbis already noted sony was looking for ways of expanding their 4Gbs.

If I recall we also thought we knew Orbis pretty well too. The leaked information were valid to a large extend, and even the devs thought they knew what the PS4 memory would be like. We were expecting less memory and GDDR5 was considered almost impossible. Then they caught everyone by surprise with 8GB of GDDR5 memory.
Perhaps Sony knows how to hide the intended specs by leaking inadequate information?

RAM is fairly simple to change late on. Everything else about Orbis specs were pretty much locked for well over a year and didn't change. Me thinks some FP devs did a bit PR about 8GB being a surprise!

Often dev kits have twice the RAM that the retail units have (the first retail-like Orbis dev kits had 8GB RAM according to the leaks in January 2013) and sometimes this can be used to smooth out a late decision to up it. I think the 360 did the same too? The late decision may have been a supply issue of 4Gbit chips rather than a cost issue?

So the latest scoop from another insider on Gaf makes the option of a 5.5tf Neo less likely but apparently with some secret sauce?

I told you, lol

Fracking gods of kobol

The PS4 was originally 14+4 but was changed to be 18+0 before launch. The PS4 NEO will be configured as a 18+18 setup.

Secret Sauce Discovered? I think so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back