Sony Vita Games Thread

Princess Crown wasn't made by Vanillaware, though, because it didn't exist back then, but it was directed by George Kamitani, the studio's founder, so some regard it as Vanillaware's legacy. He also worked on Capcom's D&D the Tower of Doom arcade game as a designer. Dragon's Crown was said to be paying homage both to that and Princess Crown.

Actually, now that you mention it, Atlus or Sega or whoever owns the bloody copyright should do sth about it and make a remaster. It hasn't even been officially translated for crying out loud, even though it scored a PSP port.

I believe the made some kind of saturn emulator to run the game on psp. It was called girigiri or something, translation would require hacking since no source code.

I believe the made some kind of saturn emulator to run the game on psp. It was called girigiri or something, translation would require hacking since no source code.

Welp, that would explain why it didn't go beyond the original Saturn resolution and aspect ratio. Tried to dig sth up and the interwebs are inconclusive on that, though. Girigiri was supposedly a homebrew project made by some guy in Japan, later bought by Sega to use for an online service for downloadable Sega titles, which was eventually canned due to fund cuts and conflicts within the company or some other nonsense. No idea if the tech was used later. Some say the game's source code was lost and thus they implemented it via emulation on the PSP, some claim the data parts were identical in both versions, but they rewrote some of the code for the PSP.

I found via romhacking.net that there's a team who have been working on a translation patch for the Saturn version and are pretty advanced in the project*. Would be nice to play it. It would be even nicer to play a remaster on the Vita. Though now the only way to play it legally is to buy the PSP version from JP PSN store. It's interesting how many common things the game shares with Odin Sphere among others, like the game starting with a little girl with a black cat listening to the story, princess Gradriel vs princess Gwendolyn, kingdom of Valendia vs Valentine etc.
* Fun fact, there was also a guy who translated 99% of the game and put it on his andriasang.com site as a sort of an interactive guide (pretty self-aware and fun to read), then it went the way of the dodo, but the internet archive had a copy (Kotaku made a feature about it before the release of Dragon's Crown). I checked a year ago and it work, but now the wayback machine reports the robots.txt is preventing it from displaying the archived page, so I guess something changed in the original location (there's also a pdf'ed version floating around).

Back