PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow, a 4.whateverTF Neo is in a lot better position than PS4 with only 1.8, and with the market advantage it has it will probably be the baseline target. The huge cost of making games for modern consoles coupled with xbone's marketshare disadvantage could mean the extra 2TF for xbone two might not see a whole lot of use.

What market advantage, there are exactly 0 PS4 Neos in the market. Or did you mean the PS4 1.8TF would be baseline target for 1080p?

What market advantage, there are exactly 0 PS4 Neos in the market. Or did you mean the PS4 1.8TF would be baseline target for 1080p?

I reread the original post and didn't see the phrase "market advantage" being used. Did you quote the wrong post?

Now GAF is afire with rumors, sourced from one of the early Neo leakers, that there have always been multiple possible specs for Neo with multiple possible prices and launch timings and that now Sony may be leaning towards the more expensive/later design ($499 - March '17 launch). And Shifty, this part's for you, they may move to an external power brick due to power/heat. I'd be *really* interested to see how many for whom this last was a major issue are suddenly OK with this. :devilish:

That later design is a no go then, since multiple Sony Executives have said this year. If the later design is selected, then a couple of things happend on making a 2016 holiday launch. Sony is eating the cost early, and is producing the SOC in-house and/or is outsourcing the SOC production through another semiconductor plant, outside of AMD/TSMC foundries.

The problem being: is that I don't see Sony eating the cost for this, nor do I see them missing this year's holiday season, for a March 2017 launch, that's followed by Scorpio within 5-7 months.

You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
Specially on gaf

I don't. And I wouldn't in this case if it weren't someone who was mod-verified as an insider and who also had a track record.

He posted this about Neo. Note the date of the post. This is a couple of weeks after Patrick Klepak's Kotaku article, but contains additional, accurate details and precedes Austin Walker's Giant Bomb story with the leaked developer docs by a couple of weeks.

I reread the original post and didn't see the phrase "market advantage" being used. Did you quote the wrong post?

No. Perhaps you read the wrong post. I'll requote and hilight the part you can't see below

Anyhow, a 4.whateverTF Neo is in a lot better position than PS4 with only 1.8, and with the market advantage it has it will probably be the baseline target. The huge cost of making games for modern consoles coupled with xbone's marketshare disadvantage could mean the extra 2TF for xbone two might not see a whole lot of use.

That later design is a no go then, since multiple Sony Executives have said this year. If the later design is selected, then a couple of things happend on making a 2016 holiday launch. Sony is eating the cost early, and is producing the SOC in-house and/or is outsourcing the SOC production through another semiconductor plant, outside of AMD/TSMC foundries.

The problem being: is that I don't see Sony eating the cost for this, nor do I see them missing this year's holiday season, for a March 2017 launch, that's followed by Scorpio within 5-7 months.

When? Andrew House declined to answer this recently when interviewed.

I don't. And I wouldn't in this case if it weren't someone who was mod-verified as an insider and who also had a track record.

He posted this about Neo. Note the date of the post. This is a couple of weeks after Patrick Klepak's Kotaku article, but contains additional, accurate details and precedes Austin Walker's Giant Bomb story with the leaked developer docs by a couple of weeks.

I believe Osiris has certain info... but not at the level he think he does.

When? Andrew House declined to answer this recently when interviewed.

I could have confused the statements between "acknowledging NEO existence" and showing it later this year. But if we're going purely off rumors, then DigitalFoundry did mention their sources stated 2016 launch date.

<shrugs> What you choose to believe is entirely your prerogative.

Ok!?

Then I choose not to believe "everthing" from a guy who works at the retail level, who learned about the NEO in a non-NDA sales meeting on future products. I'm not dismissing his info... I'm just dismissing his belief that he thinks he knows everything that Sony has planned for NEO.

I think they will go with the most cost effective so that it's an attractive upgrade for as many people as possible.

Yupe, this is not the same sony pre ps4. The whole point of mid gen upgrade started was because the cost of redesigning the current soc for die shrink would cost more than picking up something new off the shelf. I see absolutely no reason why the would want better cpu or anything else that would increase the BOM raise the price even more. Sony designed the ps4 with price point in mind at the beginning of this gen, unlike the ps2 and 3. I can't see the ps4 stay at 350 for his holiday season neither with MS launching something new and shiny @ 300. Which also mean They will probably need to match the price at some point this year, launching a new model at 400 a long with the old one @ 300 makes more sense because Sony want the new shiny box to reach the mass market like ps4 did since the new model might even have a higher profit margin. More sales = more money. Same ram, cpu, new gpu that may cost slightly more to manufacture + sony mastery skills in cost reduction @ 400 base on the current dev kit spec this can be highly profitable. I can see they take advantage of early adopters and holiday season to release bundles only with either bigger HDD, or a game or even the ps camera that is convineintly missing from the core psvr bundle for 450. If they get the price and release date right, they Can ignore what MS will do with the scorpio. MS should be the one to rethink their stratergy because they have to factor in the possibility of a 350 neo next holiday when they launch the scorpio, they know very what will happen when you launch a 500 console and figure out how to cramp what they promised into a box below 500. With their play anywhere initative, and hardcore gamers that are willing to pay 500-600 might as well pay that money to upgrade their pc and just play the games on pc.

Ok!?

Then I choose not to believe "everthing" from a guy who works at the retail level, who learned about the NEO in a non-NDA sales meeting on future products. I'm not dismissing his info... I'm just dismissing his belief that he thinks he knows everything that Sony has planned for NEO.

He has repeatedly talked about being getting information from "Bob" and "Diana". When asked why the developers who leaked the earlier information wouldn't know about the additional spec possibilities he describes "Bob" this way, "Bob (Hello Bob) is/was a developer, Bob (Hello Bob) only develops/ed games for the company releasing this system." The vagueness here and the use of aliases would make sense if you were trying to protect sources.

Again, you can choose not to believe any of this. I'm just passing it along.

He has repeatedly talked about being getting information from "Bob" and "Diana". When asked why the developers who leaked the earlier information wouldn't know about the additional spec possibilities he describes "Bob" this way, "Bob (Hello Bob) is/was a developer, Bob (Hello Bob) only develops/ed games for the company releasing this system." The vagueness here and the use of aliases would make sense if you were trying to protect sources.

Again, you can choose not to believe any of this. I'm just passing it along.

It's OK to pass along info... it's a rumor/speculation thread.

However, this Bob/Diana stuff is some... nevermind... I'm headed to the bar.

No. Perhaps you read the wrong post. I'll requote and hilight the part you can't see below

Ah, I think you misunderstood the post. I believe the subject pronoun "it" is being used to describe the PS4, not Neo. So I don't think anyone is talking about a Neo market advantage.

It's OK to pass along info... it's a rumor/speculation thread.

However, this Bob/Diana stuff is some... nevermind... I'm headed to the bar.

One last piece if this is that Sony is, again according to OsirisBlack, going to reveal details on Neo in the near future. If this is the case, are there any upcoming events that are likely venues for an announcement?

My theory is that Bob and Diana are imaginary friends.:yes:

Sure, it's entirely possible this guy is a total fraud who stumbled into some information once and is now getting a kick out of using that cred to work the fanboys into a lather. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Gamescom is in August, TGS is in September, PS Event is in December I believe. I think that if they release it in 2016 that they will give more details at Gamescom. If they push it back to early 2017, then I think they'll wait for the PS event.

I'm hoping for 5-5.5TF, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low. That said, I definitely think that Sony is going to tweak their original plans after hearing about Scorpio. Regardless I'm sure it will be a great system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back