PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 480 also has 256 GB/s of memory bandwidth dedicated to the GPU alone. Even if the PS4's memory bandwidth spec was raised to match this, you would still have to deal with memory contention with the CPU lowering the available bandwidth for the GPU. At those numbers (5.8 TFLOPS and 4.2TFLOPS) doing some quick and dirty math indicates that the Neo RAM spec overprovisions the memory bandwidth needed to support that number of TFLOPS by ~30 GB/s to account for the effects of memory contention with the CPU. You can't look at any individual spec in a vacuum. Every tweak to any one parameter effects the design of every other aspect of the system.
Neo can aim at console setting quality@ 60fps.

Digital foundry often uses a 750ti with only 88GB/s bandwidth and it can run console quality graphic at 30fps or above.

We have several examples of upgrading specs of development kits, so it's not strange that 4.1TF of PS4 NEO will be increased.
If so, wouldn't that be a case of using an existing part for now to substitute with the intended part for release. Should be fairly straightforward to find a suitable AMD part of the same 4.2 TF.

Neo can aim at console setting quality@ 60fps.

Digital foundry often uses a 750ti with only 88GB/s bandwidth and it can run console quality graphic at 30fps or above.

Then a lower spec is fine? Not sure how that has anything to with a discussion of the full implications of clocking the GPU higher.

What if the 4.2TF neo dev kits are just placeholders until they can get GDDR5X?

I though gddr5x got less available ram out the same chip qty so it's it's 8gb now on gddr5 that would be 6 on gddr5x unless they add more chips onto the motherboard.

I may be totally wrong but that is the impression I got from the Scorpio thread.

Anyhow Microsoft seemed also very confident that Sony did not have the lead everyone saw in the specs before launch, and we saw exactly that difference once launched.

1) We're talking software. The elite software solutions of the past won't be happening again in games.

2) The costs of development of a custom GPU to do the same job as a commodity part makes for poor economy. All the custom hardware of the past was to deal with specific problems. And what customisation will you add? What does a fully programmable, high performance GPU need to produce rasterised graphics better? If you go wtih something new like raytracing, devs need to write custom engines just for your machine and you make devs lives hell and risk alienating them in the multiplat market.

So custom hardware means:
i) More cost
ii) More complexity
iii) Less enthusiastic developers
(iv) likely little gains over a commodity GPU)

Why bother?

Aren't the PS4/XB1 current SOCs custom? If you're talking exotic designs similar to PS3, then yes, I agree with you. But for the most part, the PS4/XB1 SOCs are still custom designs by nature of the customer (Sony, MS, Nintendo) needs.

Rather too smart. Why write a custom engine for Platform Q's bizarro NURBS raytracing architecture (along with proprietary tools to make content) when platforms R, S and T offer 99% of the market at Platform Q's release all running the same core engine? Platform Q's weirdness means no-one wants to target it, it won't get software, it won't get bought, it'll be a tiny niche, so even less than no-one will want to develop for it and it'll die. So don't even bother in the first place.

Interesting video. When asked about the 2TFLOP gap between the two systems, Sony Interactive Entertainment Ceo Jim Ryan starts laughing and explains to the reporter that he's repeating something based off of rumors, and that you'll know more about Neo when they officially unveil the specs.
http://www.gameondaily.com/playstation-neo-might-be-more-powerful-than-you-think/

- I predict 5.5 TFLOP and improved memory bandwidth above the 218 circulating around.

There are 2 options with Neo...I'm pretty sure SOny will go with the more powerful option...

Even the two options mentioned by the Osiris, could still be spoon feed trojan information as well. Until I see some actual silicon, Chinese leaks, I'm not holding my breath on finilized silicon.

Last edited:
I though gddr5x got less available ram out the same chip qty so it's it's 8gb now on gddr5 that would be 6 on gddr5x unless they add more chips onto the motherboard.

I may be totally wrong but that is the impression I got from the Scorpio thread.

Anyhow Microsoft seemed also very confident that Sony did not have the lead everyone saw in the specs before launch, and we saw exactly that difference once launched.

I don't think Sony will lead anywhere but I don't think the GPU specs will be 4,2 Tflop/s. I expect at least a 5 Tflops/s GPU but to be sure we need to wait 29th June and more information about the RX480.

I think the NEO will only have 8 GB of GDDR5 memory with a memory bandwith of 224 Gb/s or 256 Gb/s...

And a better CPU than Jaguar.

Last edited:
224 is possible, but I think 256GB/s can't happen, it requires top binning which means low volume and high margin. Using 8gbps would be a mistake. What allowed the PS4 to get 8GB for such a low price was the use of a lower speed bin.

The leaks are saying at least 218, which is either 7gbps with a margin for yield on the SoC memory controller or whatever issues they might have reaching 7gbps consistently.... Or it's a margin for leaving open the possibility of clamshell configuration (doubtful, imo)

From the rumors they seem to have weighted price, launch date, and gpu power... And picked two. It remains to be seen how much of a difference this decision had on all three factors. We don't have access to their market research which lead to these decisions.

I am still expecting it in March, unless they make a special press conference around August announcing a launch before the end of the year, which I guess we'd learn about in July with press invites...

Last edited:
So we have gone from actual rumored 4.2Tflops from sources to some people speculating possible 5.5Tflops?.. even if Sony upped the clocks to 1GHz it would be 4.6Tflops. Not to mention why even bother pairing a > 5Tflop GPU with a relatively weak cpu and slower memory and sacrifice cooling/size?

And furthermore Microsoft had to wait an extra year to get an just to get an extra .5 Tflops on their semi custom design? They already said they tried release a "4K box" this year and decide to wait to get a more powerful one.

I could be completely wrong but these speculations sound like desperate optimism that wouldn't even exist if Microsoft didn't have that 6Tflop number out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back