PS4 Pro Speculation (PS4K NEO Kaio-Ken-Kutaragi-Kaz Neo-san)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how feasible it is for Sony to revise the Neo hardware to something more powerful considering MS's moves and that the HDD on the current consoles are actually PC parts with minimum customization

I don't think (believe) Sony cares if Scorpio is more capable than Neo in raw output. Sony goal is to get Neo out this year, along with PSVR, and grow it's current PS4 userbase. If, Sony does offer some type of forward hardware upgrade port within Neo, then that maybe the way to go. But as of now, Sony main goal is to get them (Neo/PSVR) out the door this holiday season.

AR, extra CPU cores for very special games....
They won't. Those days are over. The fancy technqiues now will be all consistent with the hardware and based in shader algorithms etc. There's enough scope there to consume devs' time without them having to look at exploits that can break APIs and forwards compatibility and the like.
If margins aren't terrible, why not? AMD could come up with a semi custom CPU and a special GPU, albeit it depends greatly upon the circumstances of the design, but a CPU with 10 MB of eDRAM for cache for instance, might be a good thing for AI and CPU intensive games.

AR, extra processing power for very special games.
They won't. Those days are over. The fancy technqiues now will be all consistent with the hardware and based in shader algorithms etc. There's enough scope there to consume devs' time without them having to look at exploits that can break APIs and forwards compatibility and the like.
If margins aren't terrible, why not? AMD could come up with a semi custom CPU and a special GPU, albeit it depends greatly upon the circumstances of the design, but a CPU with 10 MB of eDRAM for cache for instance, might be a good thing for AI and CPU intensive games.

Last edited:
1) We're talking software. The elite software solutions of the past won't be happening again in games.

2) The costs of development of a custom GPU to do the same job as a commodity part makes for poor economy. All the custom hardware of the past was to deal with specific problems. And what customisation will you add? What does a fully programmable, high performance GPU need to produce rasterised graphics better? If you go wtih something new like raytracing, devs need to write custom engines just for your machine and you make devs lives hell and risk alienating them in the multiplat market.

So custom hardware means:
i) More cost
ii) More complexity
iii) Less enthusiastic developers
(iv) likely little gains over a commodity GPU)

Why bother?

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/rep...a-aucun-jeu-exclusif-a-la-ps4-neo-e3-2016.htm

Interesting french interview of Jim Ryan president of SIEE.

When asked about the 2 Tflops difference between the NEO and Scorpio, he said to wait final specification of the two consoles.

And when ask a second time he laughs....
Seems like very mixed message to me, so its been copied into that thread as well. They dont have any good ideas on how to best present Neo to the users yet, so they're not talking about it if they don't have to.

Seems like very mixed message to me, so its been copied into that thread as well. They dont have any good ideas on how to best present Neo to the users yet, so they're not talking about it if they don't have to.

I watch the conversatin again. Price of first party VR games will between 20 euros /dollars and 60 euros/dollars. When the interviewer talks about Vita he answer and said they want smartphone owner to try to play on PS4. He said to wait and to not lostensibly to rumor and when talk with jeuxvideo.com about the technical specification of NEO and Scorpio, he looks like sure of himself and when the guy insisted. He just laughed...

Last edited:
I am french and I understand perfectly and when he talks about NEO and Scorpio it is easy to heard what he said in English... He said NEO will never have exclusive games it is a premium model like in mobile industry...

The idea of a difference of 2 Tflops between the NEO and Scorpio just made him laughed, like if the idea is just stupid...

I think a day one PS4 draw in gaming mode 145 to 155 Watts maybe it is the goal for the PS4 NEO too and the 29th of June when the RX480 NDA will be lifted, we will have a better idea of the GPU of NEO and Scorpio...

I read the rumor about the RX480 and I find the idea of a GPU 4.2 Tflop/s very strange if the rumor of a 110/120 watts RX480 with the RAM at 5,8 Tflops/s is true...

The console would draw much less power than a day one PS4 or a current PS4 like a super PS4 slim...

Last edited by a moderator:
2TF or less, there will be a difference, and then a CPU difference, and ram speed/size difference for sure.

As long as neo is able to produce VR graphics as good as battlefront PS4 but with good AA and native res i'm fine !

Last edited:
We have several examples of upgrading specs of development kits, so it's not strange that 4.1TF of PS4 NEO will be increased.

And the most interesting part will be CPU. AMD has very good records of making custom chip for consoles, therefore giving NEO a 2.1 GHz, 3 year-old CPU is very uncommon.

I read the rumor about the RX480 and I find the idea of a GPU 4.2 Tflop/s very strange if the rumor of a 110/120 watts RX480 with the RAM) at 5,8 Tflops/s is true...

The console would draw much less power than a day one PS4 or a current PS4 like a super PS4 slim...

The 480 also has 256 GB/s of memory bandwidth dedicated to the GPU alone. Even if the PS4's memory bandwidth spec was raised to match this, you would still have to deal with memory contention with the CPU lowering the available bandwidth for the GPU. At those numbers (5.8 TFLOPS and 4.2TFLOPS) doing some quick and dirty math indicates that the Neo RAM spec overprovisions the memory bandwidth needed to support that number of TFLOPS by ~30 GB/s to account for the effects of memory contention with the CPU. You can't look at any individual spec in a vacuum. Every tweak to any one parameter effects the design of every other aspect of the system.

2TF or less, there will be a difference, and then a CPU difference, and ram speed/size difference for sure.

As long as neo is able to produce VR graphics as good as battlefront PS4 but with good AA and native res i'm fine !

I think the NEO will be less powerful with less memory than Scorpio but less expensive too and launch march/April 2017 or it will be announce at Gamescom for fall 2016 but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back