Xbox One Slim

If its not a new SOC then why is HDR10 support limited to the Slim and Scorpio?
HDR10 only needs a 10bit output, and the ability to insert the proper frame header metadata, and least HDMI 2.0a tranceivers (which are external?). Everything else is just software.

They would only needed some small alteration to the existing SoC on 28nm. Or best case maybe it already supported 10bits and all they need is a new HDMI 2.0a tranceiver.

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant.
The difference between XBO Slim skus it´s just the Hard drive, why artificially limit the offer to the premium sku??

Ms needed a refresh, as cheap as possible.
a 299$ UHD 4k player was seen as a bargain, at 400€ it´s not.

Well, there should be loads of Ones into the channel...

it will still be a bargin come December or do you expect UHD players to drop under $300 by then ?

Also $400 for a 2 TB xbox one with UHD bluray + 4k streaming amazon and Netflix is still a good deal. Most UHD bluray players are that price on their own

it will still be a bargin come December or do you expect UHD players to drop under $300 by then ?

Also $400 for a 2 TB xbox one with UHD bluray + 4k streaming amazon and Netflix is still a good deal. Most UHD bluray players are that price on their own

It's only a bargain if you are in the market for a UHD Bluray player. MS is playing this out. They will release the premium One S in August at $400 and hope they get good sales straight out the box. They need sales of the $400 version to make up the loses from the $300 model. The extras of HDR and UHD only make a difference if you are in the market for an HDR 4K TV, otherwise, it doesn't make a difference.

HDR10 only needs a 10bit output, and the ability to insert the proper frame header metadata, and least HDMI 2.0a tranceivers (which are external?). Everything else is just software.

They would only needed some small alteration to the existing SoC on 28nm. Or best case maybe it already supported 10bits and all they need is a new HDMI 2.0a tranceiver.
The Xbox One S's SoC has to be new, it has to have at least UVD/VCE and DisplayController from Polaris, even if rest of the chip would be kept the same.

The way I see it, they had an open window until December, when Neo arrives also with UHD 4K playback, and three times their Flops, supposedly at 399$.

I understand that they have to clear the channel and with a premium sku they limit the demand, somehow.

I get the feeling that this gen, Xbox has been cornered to the cheaper deals, and when they have introduced models around 400$ or more (kinect, 1TB, etc) they haven´t sold well enough.

The way I see it, they had an open window until December, when Neo arrives also with UHD 4K playback, and three times their Flops, supposedly at 399$.
there were murmurings that it had UHD streaming but not UHD blu ray, do we know any better yet?

AMD stated that HDR support would come to its 300 series card and over hdmi 1.4b.

Is it a case of 4K HDR tvs not accepting 1080p HDR10 over 1.4?

Even Dolby's version of HDR supports 1.4b.

Last edited:

I understand that they have to clear the channel and with a premium sku they limit the demand, somehow.

I get the feeling that this gen, Xbox has been cornered to the cheaper deals, and when they have introduced models around 400$ or more (kinect, 1TB, etc) they haven´t sold well enough.

The ps4 doesn't really matter. I am sure a lot of xbox one s systems will go towards existing owners or people who have a ps4 but want an xbox.

Also depending on demand MS can move up the different skus if they need. IF the 2TB isn't selling great they can put out the 1tb at $50 less and still have close to a $100 difference from the old xbox one. Or they can just drop the xbox one price more to keep a $100 + difference.

AMD stated that HDR support would come to its 300 series card and over hdmi 1.4b.

HDR support is only for games & photos etc on 300 series, they can't handle the movies, which need the updated uvd(and vce?) and possibly displaycontroller in Polaris

HDR support is only for games & photos etc on 300 series, they can't handle the movies, which need the updated uvd(and vce?) and possibly displaycontroller in Polaris
HEVC decoder does not have to be inside APU. Also it could be handled in software.

HEVC decoder does not have to be inside APU. Also it could be handled in software.
I seriously doubt that with the power (or lack of) Xbox One has.
Also, if you could do it in software with HDR and all, why can't pre-Polaris GCNs do it? Or all the other machines out there?
It's either about UVD (or competing media unit), DisplayController or both

I seriously doubt that with the power (or lack of) Xbox One has.
Also, if you could do it in software with HDR and all, why can't pre-Polaris GCNs do it? Or all the other machines out there?
It's either about UVD (or competing media unit), DisplayController or both

But, but, XBO has secret sauce. Microsoft was just waiting until now to unlock that secret sauce!

Regards,
SB

Doesn't weak Intel gpu works fine for decoding hevc? You also can decode hevc using amd gpu if you select that in your decoder.

HDMI 1.4 does not officially have any metadata support to allow playback of HDR10 stream. Dolby Vision is different because their method combines two legacy streams (can be both 8bit) to create unofficial 12bit Dolby Vision stream, so their method don't need metadata.

I was thinking about playing xbox one level games on the go.

What if the refresh of Surface pro 5 and surface book 2 had thunderbolt add ons where you could just plug in a Polaris and play the play any where content on them ?

If it was priced right at say $200 I would certainly buy it for a future tablet. Whats more since its just Polaris you would be able to play all your pc game on it.

Does anyone know how well the intel i5/7 ultra portable chips do compared to an 8 core jaguar ?

Doesn't weak Intel gpu works fine for decoding hevc? You also can decode hevc using amd gpu if you select that in your decoder.
Obviously I don't know for example 4K BluRay bitrates, but if we assume it's 25 Mbps (or higher), for example i5-4670K @ stock clocks is already too weak to handle it, and that's not even including whatever extra weight HDR might bring to the decoding
(Source: tests conducted by MuroBBS users using HEVCBenchmark, which uses libavcodec which is supposed to be the fastest or at least one of the fastest software decoders)
Intels newest GPUs have at least partial hardware acceleration, if not full

Back