What are your future platform purchase plans post E3 2016?

What hardware platform(s) will you be investing in in the next 18 months?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
Now that the upcoming hardware plans for Sony, MS and Nintendo have been revealed/held back, interpreted/misinterpreted, clarified/obscured: What are your current purchase intentions?

For me, I'm going to invest in upgrading my PC since I'm still rocking an X58/Core i7-920 combo and the end of this year seems like a great time to do a full CPU/Memory/SSD/GPU upgrade. I may jump on a custom, factory O/C Radeon 480 8GB earlier as a transitionary card to get me to one that is capable of no-compromise 4K/60fps (without costing as much as the rest of the system combined). I'll also be investing in getting my whole A/V system up to 4K spec (New receiver, 65" HDR TV). If a killer app appears, a high-end VR headset or maybe even a PSVR might be an option.

Because of "no console left behind" the PS4 will continue to serve for the Playstation exclusives I want to play and Steam/Play Anywhere will cover the rest. Things ended up working out quite well for me!

I clicked everything, but I'm not sure. I'm certainly open to all of the platforms except Xbox One S. I think they didn't hit the price point for me to be interested.

I bought a GTX1070 this week so I'm set on the PC and that will cover my Xbox games this year.

Neo I'm debating now. I prefer playing multiplayer FPS's on a console, but a lot will depend on the price of the system, when it launches, and what games (ex: BF1) actually support it. If the price is too high, I may just skip it. I was all for it when the rumors broke, but now with Scorpio, a new PC, and even NX on the horizon, I'm hesitant.

Scorpio is a wait and see for me.

NX is a wait and see for me as well. But if it's cheap, I'm for it.

If the leaks are true, Neo for sure. It will be a better match for PSVR and it will make all newer and some older games look or run better. I'm expecting a $399 price and fall release.

Scorpio is just a console on paper for now, too far away to consider seriously.

Scorpio wait & see as well. Will depend on whether games take advantage of it in big ways(new & backward compatible) and if they announce VR plans for it. Otherwise I'm holding off until next gen. I think my XB1 will run for a long time so there's no need to replace it. If it ever failed I might consider picking up the 1S. What I really want is an Xbox TV Stick(or the $99 Intel stick) to stream games/video to my bedroom. That's an easier product for me to convince the wife to buy.

Tommy McClain

If the leaks are true, Neo for sure. It will be a better match for PSVR and it will make all newer and some older games look or run better. I'm expecting a $399 price and fall release.

Scorpio is just a console on paper for now, too far away to consider seriously.

I specifically set the options in this poll to stay open for a year and to allow you to change your vote. So feel free to vote now based on what you know about Scorpio and what you believe will be true about it when it launches. You will have plenty of opportunity to change your vote later.

Nintendo NX and PS4K. Also PSVR, that's a platform too, right?
NX possibly at launch, PS4K depends if it will have advantages for 1080p and/or VR. If it's just for 4K TV's, I'll likely pass until I buy a 4K set, which very likely won't be any time soon. PSVR I've already preordered.

Totally disinterested in the Neo until Sony relaxes the licensing such that my wife can play on the second console under her account without having to rebuy our games (it worked fine last gen with our two PS3s).

That's a bit premature, we don't have much info about either of the three consoles. They didn't say shit at E3!
No price, no date, no box, no games.

What are your current purchase intentions?
I don't know enough about upcoming products to make an informed decision at this stage. I might get a PS4k, but then again I might not. Same with NX; I've owned every single Nintendo home console, but I might skip next gen if the hardware is another total piece of crap. My self esteem can only tolerate so much abuse by a company I used to be the worst fanboy of.

I think it's funny that "Oh we don't know enough to make a decision" when I can guarantee that the people with a Sony now will get the next Sony & the people with a Xbox now will get the Xbox as well. There's not going to be much brand switching on this forum no matter how much one is better than the other.

Tommy McClain

I think it's funny that "Oh we don't know enough to make a decision" when I can guarantee that the people with a Sony now will get the next Sony & the people with a Xbox now will get the Xbox as well. There's not going to be much brand switching on this forum no matter how much one is better than the other.

Tommy McClain

Speak for yourself. I'm on Asus now, but I might switch to Gigabyte for my next purchase. :p I'm pretty sure all my games will continue to play on my upgraded hardware platform. So, no barriers for me switching brands. ;)

Regards,
SB

Tommy McClain

What about people like me who have both?

I managed to bump for free the memory of my alienware alpha by recycling the RAM of a laptop no longer in use, a core i5 is to replace the CPU at some point if I find a good deal. The GPU is just fine in line with consoles performances it will do till I go with another system.

If Nintendo has a good concept at the right price I might buy the NX.

Last edited:
I need more information. If the Neo plays the sames games at a higher res, I am not interested. If they add freesync and multiplat games are compatible then I'll be very interested and I'll probably buy a 4K monitor + freesync to go with Neo.

Not enough games on Xbox that really interest me so no XB1 S nor Scorpio for me. But it's going to depend of the future exclusives. I did buy the first Xbox and X360 because of one game each times.

NX is a really big wait and see, it'll depend of the games too. If they finally do the real Super Mario 64 sequel plus this Zelda... But another gimmick + cheap hardware + Nintendo out of touch ecosystem will have an immediate repulsive effect on me like with Wii U.

I don't do neither PC nor VR gaming.

It'll come down to price. If Neo is $400, great, I'll get a UHD Blu Ray and slight console upgrade at a price which is less than what current UHD Blu Ray players are going for.

If it's higher in price, I'll have to see. Have to get a 4K TV and decide whether UHD Blu Rays are worth it, depending on how much the discs are.

PS VR, simply because it will have Gran Turismo Sport, is currently high on my wish list - may also invest in a new wheel and a playseat (never had one before, but they are getting affordable and with a VR helmet, that makes things easier and more convincing still.

Still have to try it out though. I would also like one of the PC VR options, but I am not convinced this is the right time to step in. For Oculus, I think I might want to wait until the motion controllers are on the market and you can buy them in Europe normally and in a bundle.

Then, if it turns out that Playstation VR benefits significantly from Neo, I might go for that.

I am also fine with Windows 10 becoming a platform that spans Xbox and PC, and Scorpio is promising, but for now it is a loong way out.

I think it's funny that "Oh we don't know enough to make a decision" when I can guarantee that the people with a Sony now will get the next Sony & the people with a Xbox now will get the Xbox as well.
You have limited vision. It's not just a matter of switching platforms or - as you claim - not switching platforms, it's also whether one wants to upgrade at all.

If PS4k doesn't seem a worthwhile upgrade when it all comes down to it (like say, jaguar cores still bottlenecking the system for example, causing framerate drops in games), or that PS4k games only give a tangible benefit in PSVR or on 4k TV sets and you don't own either, or as rumored some months ago, that Sony won't include a 4k-compatible blu-ray drive in the system, maybe you'll decide you won't need to spend the money at all.

Like I said, I need to know more first before deciding. I do know however that if PS4k can't play back 4k blu-ray discs, I'm not going to waste the money on one of the buggers.

Tommy McClain
So... it has come to this.

Back