AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of the veracity of the post but here it goes anyway:

I've played around with this little beast and I have to say this is the biggest improvement in years. Polaris is extremely powerful in micropoligons. I didn't even imagine that this kind of performance is possible on a quad raster design. In an extreme test case with 8xMSAA and 64 polys/pixel, the Polaris 10 is the fastest GPU in the market by far.
The second interesting thing is the pipeline stall handling. I wrote a program to test it, and remarkable how it works. I hate dealing with pipeline stalls, because it is hard, but on Polaris the stalls are just reduced by far. Even if I run a badly optimized program, the hardware just "try to solve the problem", and it works great. This behavior reminds me the Larrabee... and now we have it, not from Intel, but a hardware is here to solve a lot of problems

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=266518&postcount=2022

If it's true, I can' wait for a bigger version of this (Vega I guess ?).

Significant work is done there but there's still a lot done at multiple north America sites.
Ah, alright. Could there be any efficiency downsides to spreading out work across multiple teams in multiple locations, as compared to NV, which I presume, are having all their engineers assembled in one place?

Also, it would be interesting to know just what Koduri is referring to; "merely" Vega 10 tapeout, or perhaps first silicon from the fab? Something else, like, engineering samples at the lab booting up and working? I hate vague teases like this! :LOL:

"Long way to go" he says, so probably not finished silicon I suppose. Unless verification process and finalizing drivers and reference board design takes a huge amount of time... *grr!*

Witcher 3 at 1080p.Not great, in fact quite poor, Tonga level performance.In another user's video the uploader comments the gpu gets quite hot.

Last edited:
GTA performance is around gtx 970 performance and a bit lower, I know its not good form to compare to other reviews like that but still.... Something is wrong with their settings or their computer or ......

I think we need to really wait for this to be validated, but it is questionable whether the 480 is 32 ROPs or 64 ROPs.
TPU said:
Before this picture was even posted, we manged to confirm TMU and ROP counts with our independent other sources, so we have no reason to believe that this is picture is fabricated.
AMD Radeon RX 480 will feature 2304 Stream Processors, 144 Texture Mapping Units (2304/16) and 32 ROPs.
As for the ROPs, it’s only a half of what Hawaii and Fiji have to offer, but it’s unclear how is this going to affect gaming performance.
http://videocardz.com/61371/amd-radeon-rx-480-rumors-part-5

If 32 ROPs ends up being validated sounds more like the product is an evolution of Tonga 380 - many reasons it could be incorrect, depends upon the 'source' accuracy as I am sure GPU-Z is not accurate yet.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back