Mixed Information on Consoles or How I learned to loathe PR *spin off*

You should stop reading n4g.
I mean, yeah some of the reception have been puzzling but n4g isn't a particularly good website.
Or even better, just link to the source instead of N4G.

None of those articles are really from N4G, it's from their news aggregation section. Their method is to clickbait a headline, then link somewhere else.

LOL if MS was going to kill off its gaming division you wouldn't need to go to some obscure gaming site to get that news.... :nope:

LOL if MS was going to kill off its gaming division you wouldn't need to go to some obscure gaming site to get that news.... :nope:

It depends what you mean by "kill off". Xbox has already begun the transition from console hardware to a service on multiple platforms and those married to the idea of console may already consider the Xbox ideal being killed off - although I don't. The assumption is Xbox Scorpio will bea new console like Xbox One and while I think this is the most likely, I'm not ruling out Scorpio being something inbetween conventional console and Windows PC.

http://www.dfcint.com/dossier/microsoft-pulls-a-wii-u-with-xbx1/
DFC is a more reputable analysts than some op-eds from game journalists or gaming blogs. Right or wrong, this report is spreading everywhere now.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dfc-...e-xbox-one-slim-right-out-of-the-gate/0168781
Analyst DFC has issued a damning post-E3 verdict on Microsoft’s handling of the Xbox Scorpio reveal.

“The most immediate problem is Microsoft effectively killed the Xbox One Slim right out of the gate,” it said in an investor update. “If there were many Xbox 360, Wii U and even PlayStation 4 consumers interested in an Xbox One this holiday season they have now been told to wait until Scorpio arrives in 2017. Microsoft can only hope that the buzz around Project Scorpio goes away soon but with the cat out of the bag that is unlikely.

“There are all kinds of other problems with Microsoft’s mixed messaging. The pricing on the original Xbox One is great, and the Slim is wonderful, but all the important new games will be on PC, so why invest in a console? Just upgrade your PC. And if you do want a console why buy now when Scorpio will be here later. All of this is a net dampener on new hardware sales now and really opens the door wide open for Sony and even Nintendo for the NX.”

DFC notes that while Sony faces a similar problem with Neo, the machine’s no-show brings with it an air of mystery that could be of benefit. Plus, Sony has not wasted money and effort designing a PS4 Slim that would be potentially scuppered by a new console.

The analyst, however, has even more serious questions to ask about Microsoft.

“The biggest issue is whether Microsoft will even have a game division by the time Project Scorpio launched,” it added. “It is no small irony that the E3 events went on at the EXACT same time as Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella was announcing the $26 billion acquisition of LinkedIn.

“When the PlayStation launched Sony was a more diverse company trying to use its game system to promote Blu-ray. Now Sony is a smaller company and the PlayStation brand is its most successful product line. PlayStation is now the tail that wags the dog and former games head Kaz Hirai now runs all of Sony. On the other hand, with Microsoft, the game business is the ugly step-child that somehow must integrate with the company’s operating system strategy.

“The overall question now seems to be not if Microsoft will exit the game business, but when and how. Of course, that leads to many other questions such as how is exiting the game business handled? Is Xbox spun off? Does Microsoft find a buyer? Or does the company just shut Xbox down? DFC feels the latter option will most likely not occur but it is clear something must be done.

“Unfortunately the value of the Xbox brand is in serious flux with much of its advantage tied to the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system.”

http://www.dfcint.com/dossier/microsoft-pulls-a-wii-u-with-xbx1/
DFC is a more reputable analysts than some op-eds from game journalists or gaming blogs. Right or wrong, this report is spreading everywhere now.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/dfc-...e-xbox-one-slim-right-out-of-the-gate/0168781

The second paragraph when the writer postulates that the WiiU announcement killed Wii sales and that announcing 18 months ahead of release was what dampened enthusiasm for that product when it finally did release seems like questionable analysis to me. On what prior prescient analysis is their reputation based?

The second paragraph when the writer postulates that the WiiU announcement killed Wii sales and that announcing 18 months ahead of release was what dampened enthusiasm for that product when it finally did release seems like questionable analysis to me. On what prior prescient analysis is their reputation based?
http://www.dfcint.com/wp/track-record/
DFC Intelligence has a reputation and track record for getting its forecasts and analysis right over the years
DFC was early to express concerns about the Zynga business model.
DFC predicted the rise of the Wii and the Nintendo Dad.
DFC predicted that the PlayStation 3 would struggle to maintain the success of the PlayStation 2.
DFC was the first Western research company to publish detailed reports on the rise of online games in Asia.
DFC has been the preferred PC games research provider since 2008 for PCGA/OGA.
DFC has tracked the growth of mobile for over 10 years and did one of the first major reports on the impact of the iPhone.
DFC was an early tracker of online advertising and the challenges game companies faced with advertising models See these articles from August 2003, January 2006 and August 2007 where DFC expressed skepticism about game developers that relied on advertising as a major revenue stream.
DFC was early at forecasting growth of online gaming on consoles. In these articles from August 2002 and September 2003, we predicted slow growth for console online gaming and why the PC was expected to be the number one platform for online games.
See this article from August 2003 on why we thought Nintendo should not be counted out. They went on to have their greatest success ever with the launch of the DS in 2004 and the Wii in 2006.
DFC Intelligence was one of the first companies to forecast the rise of the free-to-play model (at the time we called it micro-transactions). See this article from April 2005 that takes an early look at forecasting the potential growth in micro-transactions, what is today often called virtual items or free-to-play games. See this article from May 2007 where DFC describes virtual items as the fastest growing segment of the industry.
Back in February 2008, DFC Intelligence described the PC segment as the largest segment of the game business.

I'm sure MS would have spent millions creating the Xbox one S and releasing it along with tens of millions on the Xbox Scorpio and then of course the money on UWP and bringing games to the windows store just to sell the xbox brand.

If anything this is just drawing the xbox brand into windows more heavily and will make it even harder to sell it off.

Also I rather a company announce something 18 months early than to try and fly it in under the cover of darkness a few days or weeks before its released after buying an expensive vr helmet and console from them only to find I need that new console to run the vr games the right way

Personally I hope MS redefines Scorpio as an enthusiast console that allows gamers to set up titles the way they want akin to PCs. Favor resolution over anything else then turn up the resolution setting while turning down other settings to accommodate 4k at a practical frame rate. Hate CA then you can turn it off. Love framerate then turn the resolution down to below 720p, ditch AA and bunch of other settings so you can run what now looks like a xb OG game at 120 fps. LOL.

It will make Scorpio compelling on any HD TV for anyone that wants to tweak but still wants to game on a console.

Last edited:
Larry Hyrb is not disingenuous and pedantic? Well, he is, because that's his job. It's marketing. It's part of his salesmanship to die hard Xbox fans to keep them committed. And there's nothing wrong with that, and neither is there with pointing out what his role is.

He's not a tech expert or a game designer or part of the decision-making tree. He's a salesman, and there is a definite role in all kinds of businesses to keep in touch with already committed fans to a brand or product, especially playing into their emotions, no matter what they are, as long as it is consistent with remaining a committed fan.

There are segments of markets on all sides that do enjoy the fans being flamed, and he services that segment of the Xbox fans. That's frankly what Microsoft is paying him to do. It's all part of the game. Doesn't mean it is shallow and pedantic, but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be allowed to do it either.

The only silly thing in these kinds of threads is pretending that getting super upset about silly caveat wars or remarking about Toy Story graphics (which ironically Microsoft stated, not Sony, the press independently developed a story about Sony and Toy Story graphics, and to match that appeal Microsoft stated themselves that Xbox would match Toy Story 2 graphics so they could compete in the media mindshare of that statement) will make a different in the real world market place.

Convincing people on Beyond3D with rhetoric, might be a surprise to some, does not change how the market reacts to products. Some of you apparently feel a different way though, that's the issue. Like as if you feel that making a strong statement post on B3D is somehow going to change the fortunes of Xbox or PlayStation somehow. That's a pretty thought, even if incredibly false and egocentric.

I wish both Xbox and PlayStation and even Nintendo success with their current and upcoming products. I have absolutely no illusion that my personal feelings or my posts on this website affect the outcome of sales for any of their products. So I don't post as if that is the case either.

TLDR: winning an argument in your mind on B3D isn't going to win Xbox or PlayStation or Nintendo a single sale. If you can get past that, you'll become a better poster and probably have something more interesting to say.

Personally I hope MS redefines Scorpio as an enthusiast console that allows gamers to set up titles the way they want akin to PCs. Favor resolution over anything else then turn up the resolution setting while turning down other settings to accommodate 4k at a practical frame rate. Hate CA then you can turn it off. Love framerate then turn the resolution down to below 720p, ditch AA and bunch of other settings so you can run what now looks like a xb OG game at 120 fps. LOL.

It will make Scorpio compelling on any HD TV for anyone that wants to tweak but still wants to game on a console.

I hope they do a half step and instead of 4k they do 1440p. The valve and oculus headsets are 1200p and 1440p will scale to 4k better than 1080p. Also you can get better fidelity and pump more visual feats at 1440p than you would at 4k with the same hardware.

That's just me tho

I hope they do a half step and instead of 4k they do 1440p. The valve and oculus headsets are 1200p and 1440p will scale to 4k better than 1080p. Also you can get better fidelity and pump more visual feats at 1440p than you would at 4k with the same hardware.

That's just me tho

That makes sense. I guess its ultimately up to devs but they already doing this on the PC side so giving Scorpio users multiple settings should just be a matter of cost in relation to getting the game through MS's QA process.

Also, offering multiple resolution settings will allow Scorpio to address different native resolutions across PC monitors.

Last edited:
“Unfortunately the value of the Xbox brand is in serious flux with much of its advantage tied to the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system.”

This is the crux of the issue with spinning it off, and it's getting more tied in as they go along. Soon it'll be less likely to spin off than kill it, then what.

Reportage Jim Ryan, Sony : "Il n'y aura aucun jeu exclusif à la PS4 Neo." : E3 2016

Bulletpoints breakdown by GAF user DjRare and Dr.Biscuits

● JV.com:
How will you handle the fact that the PS4 Neo has 2 TFLOPS less than the Scorpio? Knowing that it would reverse the current situation of power difference.

● J Ryan:
You talk about facts based on rumors. When we announce the specifics of Neo and we know the actual characteristics of the Scorpio, then we can talk.

● JV.com:
But if that were true?

● J Ryan:
Hahahaaaaa Hahahaaaaa. ..

● JV.com:
OK...

● J Ryan:
Hahahaaaaa. ..

(Google Translation. ..)

Bullet points :

● They don't consider Neo as a new console, it's not a new gen PS4.
● They didn't want to show the Neo (at E3) because the games are not ready yet.
● They are aware that some people might be upset by the release of a new and better iteration of the PS4.
● They think it will be only a communication issue.
● The idea of the Neo comes directly from the smartphones business model (i.e iterations of the same system).
● No Neo exclusive games.
● They don't want to disclose any sales target for the PS4 eco-system.
● They don't want to confirm if there will be PS4 - PSVR bundle.
● They don't want to confirm the specs of the Neo and how they will deal with the supposed Tflops difference with Scorpio.

That's why we should be wise on taking goated-specs* at face value.

* I'm almost 100% sure Sony wanted the baseline Neo specs leaked on purpose (especially all the customer friendly wording that was in the documentations) on getting gamers, developers and competitors reactions. I think Neo has a little more grunt under the hood than what the leaked doc's are leading some to believe.

That's not to say Neo will equal/surpass Scorpio specs... but only take caution on the goated-specs as being final.

Back