Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So one will launch this year at 4TF and the other one year later at 6TF and more cash?
These generations are all messed up now! Couldn't just like text each other and get them closer together? Is Scorpio going to get games made for it, unlike Neo? What's the point of each now?

SO! CONFUSING!
Not only 6TF, it has much more bandwidth and as it looks 12GB of RAM. So games should have at least 8GB ... hoping more for 10, but they may just reserve a bit more for the future.

No because games aren't static screenshots. It's 1600x900 vs 1920x1080 and since this particular title uses morphological antialiasing (SMAA) the image stability across frames will be more temporary stable since there is more data to work with. higher resolution also makes it easier to see distant objects and players, which can be an advantage in competitive FPS.

I see, can you link me to examples of games with different art / AA to see a more pronounced difference. I can't seem to find native DF shots of other games like the Overwatch comparisons. I'm genuinely interested to see the differences on a range of games because like I said I prefer the XB1 UI/controller/achievements but currently play my third party games on PS4 because of it's native resolution increase in most games.

I guess linking videos is pointless considering the YT compression but I do take your point about AA while moving and what type of motion blur they are using.

Cheers.

3 core 1.2Ghz CPU based on a 16 year old architecture.
176 GFLOP GPU.
1GB of 12GB/s RAM for games.
No HDD for streaming as standard.

If they can lock the framerate at 30fps in the next nine months then Zelda: BotW will be a technical masterpiece given the hardware imo.

176 GFLOP GPU.

If they can lock the framerate at 30fps in the next nine months then Zelda: BotW will be a technical masterpiece given the hardware imo.

The reality is no one cares what they do on junk systems.

176 GFLOP GPU.

I totally agree, but I am skeptical of just how much effort will go into making the Wii U build better, when there is an NX build that will likely sell better, and have a bigger impact on Nintendo's future success. Given the amount of time before launch, I do believe the Wii U build will gain some performance, but I seriously doubt a locked 30fps will be a thing. Exploration will likely hold pretty tight to 30fps, but when things get hectic dips into the lower 20's will likely remain.

Massively computational I believe, this year they had a Titan black and I suspect it probably only ran smoothly with that level of performance.

Last year was totally different but high impact and quite pretty. Reminds me of an old Amiga demo, (state of the art)

Df should do a breakdown of these if the developers are willing to discuss their techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back