Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

What are the chances that they could substantially increase the LOD distance for final release?
Now we have pop-in of grass in like 2 meters or so...

What are the chances that they could substantially increase the LOD distance for final release?
Now we have pop-in of grass in like 2 meters or so...
About as high as PS4 magically getting more power overnight I'd think...
(They might not have finished optimisations yet though, so you can always be optimistic.)

Live demo tomorrow, hopefully it's the extended version :yep2:

ClBCSALWYAAn4eA.jpg

Grass pops in right in front of the player??

Did you watch the most recent gameplay vids? Watch the ground, once seen...it cannot be unseen :)

Watched Gamersyde video - you are right, its quite apparent. Hope they will improve this to Witcher 3 level

Get in touch with ND, best lod and lod transitions on Ps4.

27712071395_b6eb21d33d_o.png

I don't know how feasible it would be to use something similar on an open world game with real-time TOD transitions though.

Watched Gamersyde video - you are right, its quite apparent. Hope they will improve this to Witcher 3 level
I often found that grass clumps faded in on PS4. But the fade in made is less prominent.

Two things I picked up from the stream when they quickly went over the menus (journalists weren't allowed to do that at E3)

https://abload.de/img/1kykqv.png
https://abload.de/img/2d1jnb.png

Sadly, they didn't stray too much from the E3 demo area. The skill tree indicates three types of gameplay approaches: stealth (prowler), aggressive (brave) and some sort of potion/bomb skill tree like Witcher 3 :)

The notebook entry is very interesting as well!

A gaf user noticed something interesting, seems like the playable build (the one that was streamed) had improved draw distance in comparison to the Sony E3 pre-recorded demo (top: E3 bottom: stream)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207639579&postcount=452

I made the same comparison from the same exact spot (E3 from gamersyde vs stream)

E3
1apkng.jpg

Stream
21ak0g.jpg

Foliage draw distance seems improved and i like the warmer tone of the colors a bit more too :)

Last edited:
Warmer tone might be due to the dynamic weather or time of day but yeah foliage LOD definitely has seen improvement. Too bad the stream quality is atrocious, might have pick up on other change too with better compression.

Get in touch with ND, best lod and lod transitions on Ps4.

27712071395_b6eb21d33d_o.png

I don't know how feasible it would be to use something similar on an open world game with real-time TOD transitions though.
ND should really get in touch with Guerrilla about 3D immersion. This pic really shows most of what ND did wrong in UC4. Hard to get immersed in a 3D world that constantly looks like a 2D photo.

So you really haven't played U4, how sad.
The image he posted doesn't really show any lod transitions, it's a low poly background.

Pretty sure that they have multiple backgrounds for the island, depending which area you are.
It's not possible to walk from area to another while looking at certain point.

Last edited:
Back