Days Gone (Sony Bend) [PS4, PC]

Biggest surprise of this E3 for me. I couldn't be less interest during the reveal trailer "another zombie game?!" "every sony exclusive has to be like TLOU now?" and then, came the actual gameplay, and my opinion changed completely. It has the polish and imersion of last of us, in an open world environment, with unbeliavably huge swarms of zombies. This takes dead rising 4 (announced at MS conference) and takes a shit on it ( on its mouth, to be more precise )
The zombie contention gameplay reminds me of RE4, just on steroids. Better mobility, more ammo, weaker enemies (everything people usually say kills the tension) but in hellish high numbers of enemies. It looked as tense as RE4 most claustrophobic crowd management moments. Briliant.
And it's coming from Bend Studios?! Sony has got to have had the best portable devs of all time. First, it was RAD that surprised everyone with The Order, now these guys. I can't hide my hype, I'm very intrigued by this. It's my fave of this e3 most definetly.

On a technical note, rewatching the extended demo, I notice a nice rendering trick they are using. Screen-space shadows.
You can notice it at the 1minute mark, as the shadows of some weeds disappear when they get occlued in SS, even though they are actually closer to the camera.

DaysGone_ScreenSpaceShadows1.png

DaysGone_ScreenSpaceShadows2.png

Of course the Screen-space depth buffer has nowhere near enough information for correct shadowing, but It can be useful to provide a complement for cascaded shadowmaps if implemented correctly. SS can capture small pixel sized details that would go missing or be too blocky in the shadow-map. Great for hard and detailed contact-shadows, and for hiding peter-panning and some of the pop-in between cascade transitions.

Last edited:
this is why sony doesn't care much about other 3rd party zombies games like dead rising and state of decay being xbox exclusive. They got their own zombies franchises that looks even better! Not to say that I am not excited for DR4 though, but that is more of a comic relief than anything.

Here is another play through of the demo: at the beginning the same, however, in the middle part shows several different strategies to use the environment...
That looks better, although the constant running away while stopping (why? if you can run away, just keep running!) may have been presented poorly.

I busted out laughing near the end of the conference demonstration when he kept firing on the bridge and all those ragdolls. :mrgreen: Probably not the reaction intended given the tone of the game, but it was good.

Rendering is fantastic. #trees Some might say unreal.

That looks better, although the constant running away while stopping (why? if you can run away, just keep running!) may have been presented poorly.

I busted out laughing near the end of the conference demonstration when he kept firing on the bridge and all those ragdolls. :mrgreen: Probably not the reaction intended given the tone of the game, but it was good.

Rendering is fantastic. #trees Some might say unreal.
Yeah, my head kept telling the guy to run straight to his bike parked right next to the place and cruise to the mountains !
But, yea, that wouldn't be a good demo I am sure ! I will be really forward to this game , when can we see more @Graham ??

Are there other games doing that? I'd love to see how that looks there.
Haven't heard anyone shipping screen space shadows. I have been personally toying with the idea of using screen space raycast for improving contact shadows and reducing shadow acne (of shadow maps). Should work when combined with shadow maps (and/or baked lighting). Without other shadow techniques (for big occluders) there would too big artifacts in partial indoor/outdoor scenes (such as the ones shown in Days Gone trailer). Imagine the guy entering a building and he looks down -> the building roof is not visible in screen -> sunlight shines inside. Would look horrible.

Back