STALKER being benchmarked at X-bit

Optimise doesn't purely relate to performance - I actually think they quote was that this would have some "GeForce FX specific features", which tends to imply that some extended shader functionality will be used, which would inevitably result in lower performance. I presume that this would be the case with these benchmarks, although given I didn't see any talk about IQ differences (I only skimmed) I would image the effects would be minor.

Looking at the non AA/AF benchmarks though the geometry limitation also stuck out to me - the fact that the 9600XT was consistently behind the 5700 but the 5700 stuck with the 5900 highlighted this quite well. Interesting.

This deffinately does shine a fond light on the 5700 Ultra. Neeyik was saying over at Futuremark that the devs "may have" chosen to avoid using PS2.0 routines, like Remedy did with Max Payne 2, to ensure the least amount of hassle and the best overall performance across the hardware base. Is this really so? I thought this was to be a game that utilized ps2.0?

Neeyik was saying over at Futuremark that the devs "may have" chosen to avoid using PS2.0 routines, like Remedy did with Max Payne 2, to ensure the least amount of hassle and the best overall performance across the hardware base.

Do you realize what that's suggesting?

I do recall reading that Max Payne 2 wasn't done in DX9 because of performance issues (probably related to NVidia)... but if what you are saying is true, developers may cringe at developing for DX9 just because of NVidia's hardware deficencies. Either that they HAVE to create special modes for DX9, or they just stick with DX8 to make "everyone" happy.

Deathlike2 said:
developers may cringe at developing for DX9 just because of NVidia's hardware deficencies.
That has to be taken into consideration, I'm sure, whenever a developer starts making a game. This may in fact be a scenerio like Remedy did with Max Payne 2...to ensure the game runs it's best for everybody, just make it a DX8/.1 game. I certainly hope not, because I like the thought of the industry moving forward into the realm of DX9, but either way, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. looks damn sweet, no matter which shaders it's utilizing.

micron said:
This deffinately does shine a fond light on the 5700 Ultra. Neeyik was saying over at Futuremark that the devs "may have" chosen to avoid using PS2.0 routines, like Remedy did with Max Payne 2, to ensure the least amount of hassle and the best overall performance across the hardware base. Is this really so? I thought this was to be a game that utilized ps2.0?

they used the alpha leak(like they did with the hl2 beta) which doesn't have any ps2.0 shaders. There is no advanced feature in there hence look at the numbers. No dynamic lighting and no shadows(well blob) , no hdr , no bumb-mapping, no physics.

Go figure

I don't recall performance issues with PS2.0 as being a reason for Max Payne 2 being DX8.1 - according to Markus in our interview is was due to development time and testing in relation to the tired and tested engine they already had.

However, the Russian Developers of a game called Firestarter did have this to say:

The upcoming version 2.0 of the graphics engine will add several new features, such as outdoor levels, displacement mapping, a physics engine and DirectX 9 effects. When asked why the engine didn't support DirectX 9 to begin with, the developers explained that NVIDIA cards suffered a performance hit of up to 30% when switching from DirectX 8.1 to DX 9, and that they wanted to get to the bottom of that phenomenon before making the switch. GSC did not comment on whether this also holds true for ATI cards, but the statement is strongly reminiscent of Gabe Newell's comments, who ran into similar problems with NVIDIA cards while working on Half-Life 2.

Which is fairly depressing.

anyone have any sales figures of FX versus ATI sales? if 40-70% of the target audience will suffer performance problems because of the poor NVIDIA implementation, I think that's why we're not seeing more DX9 games. they'll wait another 6 months when NV hopefully has their act together, and then they'll start using DX9 in force.... maybe. devs just don't want to get a bad reputation because they rely heavily on PS2.0 usage and performance suffers on FX cards as a result.

When asked why the engine didn't support DirectX 9 to begin with, the developers explained that NVIDIA cards suffered a performance hit of up to 30% when switching from DirectX 8.1 to DX 9, and that they wanted to get to the bottom of that phenomenon before making the switch.
:oops:
That was an excellent example of what we were just discussing. Depressing indeed.

I think the text Dave quoted is probably what was guy meant to say. You can only remember what was said.. but not who actually said it.
:LOL:

At least, you have some more developer confirmation of the truth (as certain fanboys don't believe what Valve has to say on the matter).

micron said:

:oops: That's really bad. Not only are Nvidia's deficiencies holding development back for the whole industry, but it seems that even in a DX8 game customised for NV3x, Nvidia still can't hold their own, especially when using any of the extra IQ features like AA/AF.

What the hell good *is* the GFFX series for? :oops:

tEd said:
they used the alpha leak(like they did with the hl2 beta) which doesn't have any ps2.0 shaders. There is no advanced feature in there hence look at the numbers. No dynamic lighting and no shadows(well blob) , no hdr , no bumb-mapping, no physics.
How do you know that the version of Stalker X-bit is using, is missing all those features?......if this is the case, they might as well be benchmarking the original UT :rolleyes:

Well for one tEd is a very respected knowlegable member, second it is common knowlege if you know where to get the 'leaks'.

;)

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
but it seems that even in a DX8 game customised for NV3x, Nvidia still can't hold their own, especially when using any of the extra IQ features like AA/AF.
I'd be interested in knowing the full story of this game...what 'special features' nVidia is getting(if any) and which shaders are used throughout. I wish X-bit would have coughed up more info about the version of Stalker their using, it's not like they dont know.....

Doomtrooper said:
Well for one tEd is a very respected knowlegable member, second it is common knowlege if you know where to get the 'leaks'.

;)
See that you dont try and post an answer to any of my questions, you have nothing to say that I'd be intrested in hearing, and I personally believe that your an embarassment to this forum. 'Nuff said.

DaveBaumann said:
However, the Russian Developers of a game called Firestarter...
I didnt realize that game had a demo for download. Is the benchmark included in it?

Back