Post Xbox One Two Scorpio, what should Sony do next? *spawn* (oh, and Nintendo?)

I think PS5 in 2018 or 2019 is not all that unreasonable. I'd probably guess 2019. Re-designed Neo doesn't make any sense. Seems like they're too far along, and devs are already working on it.
I actually just remembered that they went public about it... So indeed it is too late for a cancelation of the project. Sorry for the disturbance I received family four the last four days, manage to watch MSFT conference, did a lot of things and lost the plot quite a bit with regard to Sony (public) moves.

I'm not even sure which logical fallacy that post relies on... there actually may be no logic aka it is a pretty free troll bait imho.
It's a mix of Appeal to Spite (fanboys, everybody hates fanboys), and Appeal to Motives (they only say this because they don't want sony to be less powerful). :yep2:

I think the next "gen" of consoles after Neo/Scorpio will coincide with mass availability of the next node (10nm) which will probably be ~2019 for higher performance/non-mobile parts.
For larger parts, maybe 10nm is skipped like 20nm and they wait for 7nm [emoji26]

Xbox One and PS4 just released so low spec that it was easy to release a new box earlier that will, most importantly, sell at a premium price tag.

The problem is, One and PS4 are now the base hardware - the minimum requirement with massive user bases. Ubisoft are not going to target Neo/Scorpio hardware for games because that game can't run the console that most people have. At least not until Scorpio/Neo overtake One/PS4 by which time the next-next-gen variants will emerge and the cycle will renew.

This is very much the downside of iterative evolving hardware platforms. You'll always have potential to do great things, but will still be held by by the lowest common denominator. At least with traditional console models there was a clean break.

The problem is, One and PS4 are now the base hardware - the minimum requirement with massive user bases. Ubisoft are not going to target Neo/Scorpio hardware for games because that game can't run the console that most people have. At least not until Scorpio/Neo overtake One/PS4 by which time the next-next-gen variants will emerge and the cycle will renew.

This is very much the downside of iterative evolving hardware platforms. You'll always have potential to do great things, but will still be held by by the lowest common denominator. At least with traditional console models there was a clean break.

That's pretty much how it works now though. Battlefield 1 is going to scale from xbox one all the way up to dual sli rigs at 4k with ultra settings across the board. Neo and Scorpio won't even come close to matching the highest-end machines that PC games already scale up to.

It's a mix of Appeal to Spite (fanboys, everybody hates fanboys), and Appeal to Motives (they only say this because they don't want sony to be less powerful). :yep2:
Well my posts were in fact quite out of place so I do get the reactions, so I would be nice and think of hasty generalization aka everybody knows they went public, etc. hence the assumption of a fanboy reaction whereas I just completely lost the plot. Though to be honest it is completely my fault I've spent a lot less time reading of late because of work... I should have checked the state of the matter precisely before engaging in conversation and making a fool of myself. I opened a beer to wash away the shame :)

Well my posts were in fact quite out of place so I do get the reactions, so I would be nice and thing of hasty generalization aka everybody knows they went public, etc. hence the assumption of a fanboy reaction whereas I just completely lost the plot. Though to be honest it is my fault I've spent a lot less time reading of late because of work... I should have checked the state of the matter precisely before engaging in conversation and making a fool of myself. I opened a beer to wash away the shame :)
Hear hear! Beer! I'm getting a Coke because I'm still at work...

It's like everybody is on edge today, the whole "microsoft messaging" thread is a bit insane. I'm as guilty as anyone else.

EDIT: Forget the coke, I found a bag of cheetos.

chester-snorting-cheetos-o.gif

Last edited:
I see this as rolling generations, with a high end/mainstream model. When XBox Sagittarius/PS Geo comes out in 2020, they will discontinue XBO/PS4 and have Scorpio/Neo be the low end. I predict games will only be required to support what is being sold so in 2020, so you will see Scorpio/Neo as the base and Sagittarius/Geo as the high end.

In the traditional model, you would have been stuck with XBO/PS4 graphics until 2019/2020 anyway. So yes, there are trade offs. Seeing smaller jumps sooner or bigger jumps later.

I should also mention that even if MS/Sony did allow next gen exclusivity, few to no companies would take advantage of it until the userbase is sufficient anyway. So it's not just policy but market realities too.

When PS5 comes out, it will be the most powerful. Then when Xbox ... Two? ... comes out, it'll be the most powerful, and on and on it will go for all of eternity.

The talk about Sony redesigning Neo is as dumb as the talk about Microsoft re-specing Xbox One once it and PS4's specs were known. It's fanboy fantasy and utter nonsense. I can only repeat what I said back then, switching Microsoft (then) for Sony (now).

Sony's goal is not to produce the most powerful console, it's goal is to produce a profitable business.

The people who think believe it's really important for your preferred company to have the most powerful console conveniently overlook that there is no consistent correlation between relative console performance and commercial success. None. There is correlation between price and commercial success. That's not to say that there isn't a market for powerful consoles.

People on this forum are out of their bloody minds if they think fanboy priorities are how companies design products.

Yes the idea that power is the overwhelming variable in people choosing a console is a nonsense. People are interested in games, price, what their friends have, and brand appeal.

Neo is backwards-compatible with PS4 which is the market leader with a huge install base. Not many gamers are going to ditch their PlayStations just so they can have an Xbox which is a bit closer to natively hitting 4k and a few extra fps. Some hardcore gamers will buy both, but Sony has the mindshare.

If Sony release Neo by the end of the year it will give them a massive headstart. Even a February/March release would give them a big advantage over Microsoft who have announced far too early (like PS3).

Or because old ps4 still can play neo games, people will buy Scorpio (or NX) instead.

So they can enjoy more exclusive contents.

But that advantage won't be able to be conveyed in a marketing material...

PC gamers are not so unique. Throughout the past 25 years pc gamers have chosen the best performance/price technologies, that is why 3DFX , PowerVR, Matrox, Hercule, Cirrus Logic, 3d Labs, fell by the wayside to Nvidia and ATI.
That is why AMD cpu sales spiked through the P4 Rambus era.

You assume that because 3DO and Jaguar failed, and Xbox didn't get close to PS2 install base, and because exclusives matter that for some reason performance doesn't matter to console gamers. And the gap has the potential to be huge, 60 vs 30fps.

The gap between PS3 and Xbox360 or PS4 and Xbox One has never been this big. Neo literally cannot double the framerate of current gen games with only a 24% jump in bandiwdth because of memory bandwidth limitations, while Scorpio can.

Last edited:
The gap between Xbox 360 and PS3 was slight resolultion difference and slightly more framerate dips generally on PS3. On the PS4 its the reverse, slightly more stable framerates and slightly sharper looking image.

30 vs 60 difference could easily be the difference between Neo and Scorpio in a plethora of the favorite games you play (GTA6, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, Elderscrolls 6, Battlefield, Need for Speed, next Farcry, next AC, next Batman Arkham, etc.

PC gamers are not so unique. Throughout the past 25 years pc gamers have chosen the best performance/price technologies, that is why 3DFX , PowerVR, Matrox, Hercule, Cirrus Logic, 3d Labs, fell by the wayside to Nvidia and ATI.
That is why AMD cpu sales spiked through the P4 Rambus era.

You assume that because 3DO and Jaguar failed, and Xbox didn't get close to PS2 install base, and because exclusives matter that for some reason performance doesn't matter to console gamers. And the gap has the potential to be huge, 60 vs 30fps.

The gap between PS3 and Xbox360 or PS4 and Xbox One has never been this big. Neo literally cannot double the framerate of current gen games with only a 24% jump in bandiwdth because of memory bandwidth limitations, while Scorpio can.

Its more than just tflops.

What about the cpu ?

8 core jaguar at 1.6/1.75 ghz to an 8 core zen + hyper threading (16 thread) at 2ghz or 2.5ghz would be a huge jump forward

What about Rops / Tmus doesn't the x1 have 8 ? So going to 64 or more would be a huge difference

What about Compression , GCN1 doesn't have it , and 4.0 improved it over the previous ones.

What about storage ? What if the consoles have an ssd ? or a hybrid drive ?

Its more than just tflops.

What about the cpu ?

8 core jaguar at 1.6/1.75 ghz to an 8 core zen + hyper threading (16 thread) at 2ghz or 2.5ghz would be a huge jump forward

What about Rops / Tmus doesn't the x1 have 8 ? So going to 64 or more would be a huge difference

What about Compression , GCN1 doesn't have it , and 4.0 improved it over the previous ones.

What about storage ? What if the consoles have an ssd ? or a hybrid drive ?
Duh, Of course I'm not a 19 yr old gamespot forum member.

The leak detailed they are maintaining their Jaguar cpu architecture with an upclock of 2.1 ghz which is why the leak also detailed the cpu binarys are identical, while there will be two sets of gpu binaries (Neo's Polaris/PS4's Southern Island)on the blurays supporting Neo.

In all likelyhood Scorpio is equipped with an 8 core zen + hyperthreading, like you suggested but this is obvious.

I've discussed about GCN generations in other posts and delta compression, but I don't want to turn my posts into massive walls of text.

The leak detailed they are maintaining their Jaguar cpu architecture with an upclock of 2.1 ghz which is why the leak also detailed the cpu binarys are identical, while there will be two sets of gpu binaries (Neo's Polaris/PS4's Southern Island)on the blurays supporting Neo.

In all likelyhood Scorpio is equipped with an 8 core zen + hyperthreading, like you suggested but this is obvious.

I've discussed about GCN generations in other posts and delta compression, but I don't want to turn my posts into massive walls of text.

I'm just sayig its more than just tflops.

Also giant bomb twitch Spencer is on it right now talking about the s and scorpio

I'm just sayig its more than just tflops.

Also giant bomb twitch Spencer is on it right now talking about the s and scorpio
I've discussed about Zens massive performance advantages (IPC, hyperthreading, cache speeds, almost certainly cache sizes even though details haven't been leaked) over Jaguar with its half rate small L2 cache. Also have discuessed GCN generations, delta compression in othe rposts but I don't want to turn my posts into massive walls of text.

Don't really feel like writing 8 paragraphs, because once I put in that effort and the posts get that big nobody reads them.

Last edited:
Back