Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at what seems to be both SOny and MSFT moves, moves that are somehow endangering the console model and by proxy lot of other things. On the software side, console have proven an attrtactive platform for publishers because it was a stable , consistent platform to aim at. That consistent target has been the drivers for big budget games that made it, in part, on PC. Now if that target is broken in piece, what is to happen is simply unknown.
I see an opportunity for NIntendo to release a "gimmick", a real console, like in the old days.
I see many options for Nintendo, a proper GCN 2 c (or new gamecube) could be it, going handheld only redefining handheld in the process is another one, I just don't get how following up on the WiiU concept can succeed.
I do not buy into VR, at least for now, even teh presstitutes have a tough time hiding their lack of enthusiasm. The idea is great, and AR is actually awesome, but is it ready for prime? Kinect 2 was not completely either. It could be ready soon with affordable hardware after deep learning and what run their magic (yet I'm not sure VIDEO gaming is an obvious target...). Motion controls were not bad but VIDEO games runs into spaces limitations really fast.
My POV changes a lot, and as we said in France "only the imbecile do not change their pov". But may be they could have tried a real GCN2 it is easy enough to offer decent hardware nowadays so none of the potential targets feel let down. On the software side it is easier than it was to provide the same experience as some AAA franchise with asset that a lot simpler (with lighter games, faster download time, faster loading, lower some of the hardware requirements, etc. as a side benefits among other things). There are many example of real cores games with low hardware requirement, Blizzard and Valves are pretty good at delivering that. I spend lots of time playing on emulators lately and it is pretty staggering (well.. tome at least :LOL: ) how good some old games can looks with x4 AA, x8 anisotropic texture filtering, and high resolution. For 2d and 3D games alike some texture or fullscreen treatment are having pretty staggering result too, PPSSPP is super easy to deal with, launch a 2D fighting games for example and You will see what I mean.

Anyway, pointless rambling or rehashing.

I was also skeptical of VR before I tried it; Elite Dangerous was my revelation. VR is game changing for cockpit-like games but it's not going to sweep up all gaming experiences. Moving around a 3D space when the player is stationary has a considerable disconnect. Something like GTA would be incredibly difficult because the in-car stuff would work great but on-foot stuff would create a massive disconnect in terms of control and spacial placement inside the game.

VR can be utterly awesome but there are barriers to break and I'm not looking forward to endless on-rails shooters.
You can still get a cool 3D perspective effect from non-cockpit games. That's kind of what I see happening for action-adventure stuff. Kind of like what 3DS did for its games. Not really VR experience, but more static 3D experience.

You can still get a cool 3D perspective effect from non-cockpit games. That's kind of what I see happening for action-adventure stuff. Kind of like what 3DS did for its games. Not really VR experience, but more static 3D experience.
As you say, a lot of that isn't VR, it's 3D. That's the problem that VR headsets introduce: disassociation between yours actions and your avatars.

In theory, that would be amazing. Even if not in the shoes of your avatar exactly, you'd still be somewhat "in the scene" and have much better depth perception and agile visibility of your surroundings. In practice though, this is motion sickness hell. At leas thats what I hear from developers. Third person cameras only work under very slow and calculated movement, as in lucky's tale. Anything else, allegedly becomes unplayably sickness inducing.

As you say, a lot of that isn't VR, it's 3D. That's the problem that VR headsets introduce: disassociation between yours actions and your avatars.
Yea I know but that's why I think VR has an advantage. It can be used for VR but also exclusive 3D stuff. Like a 3D movie or something else, you can lie down and play 3D Bloodborne ^^

I'm sure there is an element of dissociation, I'd like to try goggle-full 3D though :D

In theory, that would be amazing. Even if not in the shoes of your avatar exactly, you'd still be somewhat "in the scene" and have much better depth perception and agile visibility of your surroundings. In practice though, this is motion sickness hell. At leas thats what I hear from developers. Third person cameras only work under very slow and calculated movement, as in lucky's tale. Anything else, allegedly becomes unplayably sickness inducing.

Yup. This is why for 3D gaming like that, it's better to use a TV as your living room surroundings give a reference to your visual system that allows it to align with what your body is feeling (or not feeling). You definitely lose a lot of things that actually make 3D believable in that case, however, like subtle (or not so subtle) head movements not changing your view in the slightest unlike what you're used to seeing in real life, hence breaking the illusion to a great extent.

But if it's a case of either vomiting while playing a game or not vomiting while playing a game, I'd go with the not vomiting solution. And that is to basically ignore 3D and VR in games. :D Although I am interested in the faux real life pinball machine façade combined with a pinball game in VR. That'd be the closest I'd ever be able to get to having a real life collection of Pinball machines which costs thousands of dollars each.

Regards,
SB

With a 4 TF Neo and a 6 TF Scorpio next year, what are the hopes for NX now? Will it be a comparable platform getting thrid party content, or be another Nintendo only machine because it hasn;t the juice for ports? Actually, that might work well. If Neo and Scorpio are mid-gen upgrades getting PS4+XB1 ports, anything more powerful than PS4 should still be a target for the software. Middleware is going to be so important as targeting consoles will mean many platforms!

Nintendo would be stupid not to release a console that's in the same ballpark as PS4K and Xbox Scorchio.
They have such strong exclusive ip's, their brand is still pretty untarnished despite failing with the WiiU.
Those combined with strong 3rd party support and technologically competitive hardware would put them back to where they used to be.
That is if they can convince the third parties they really mean business this time.

When they designed the NX, they probably had the PS4/XBO in mind, not thinking they would have to compete with their successors already. They are probably just as surprised as everyone else seeing the PS4K and Scorpio emerge as 2017 machines. Nintendo just can't buy a win (post Wii).

On the other hand, Nintendo knows what is state of the art in 2017. If they didn't plan for 3-6 TF console in 2017, they knew they would have gotten eclipsed in at most a year or two anyway. So who can they blame but themselves? They either want to release a console that is modern for that year or they don't. And indications are they don't.

It will be a Nintendo console, it will have great games, it will work well and be reliable, and it will have the best local gaming experience.
Do you need anything else ?
(If so, I suggest you buy a custom PC rather than one of those branded desktop PC that aren't even sold with a mouse and keyboard... ;p)

When they designed the NX, they probably had the PS4/XBO in mind, not thinking they would have to compete with their successors already.

Both the Xbone and the PS4 had a much lower release BoM than their predecessors, and much lower performance than their contemporary states-of-the-art.
If Nintendo thought this generation was going to last as much as the previous one without at least a mid-cycle upgrade, then simply put they were really stupid.

We would either have PS5/XB2 in 2018 or mid-cycle upgrades.

Either way, a NX releasing 3.5 years after the actual 8th gen consoles with the same or lower performance would never be a good idea.
Even the Xbone S is bringing more performance to the table from what appears to be just a shrink + updated output options and video codec.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo's next-generation game console, the Nintendo NX is scheduled to enter mass production in early 2017, delaying about half a year from the company's original mass production plan in the mid-2016. Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions.

Total missed opportunity to rebadge the NX as the "Vii R"...

Train hasn't left the station yet on that one; NX is just a codename after all... :)

I would still like to see a Starcube console from Nintendo. The time would have been ready for that, except, this will be a hybrid home/portable system, so a portable cube would be weird. :( (Portable holes are a different matter entirely, heh.)

Why does anyone think Nintendo will do anything BUT try and hit stride with casuals? It's really their only play. Going into console wars with Sony and MS is a fast path to bankruptcy.

Just because the WiiU failed doesn't mean they can't find something that will resonate and give them success in the future. Do we really need yet another console player going after the "core" gamer with specs and power? If anything, good on Nintendo for sticking to their comfort level and focusing on their strengths.

Total missed opportunity to rebadge the NX as the "Vii R"...

It's not a missed opportunity yet. NX is just the codename, like Revolution for the Wii and Café for Wii U.

Why does anyone think Nintendo will do anything BUT try and hit stride with casuals?
Because that approach hasn't been making them any money in 6-7 years.
Casuals have been taken over by smartphones and tablets. That's not a market addressable for a home console anymore.

Nor are hardcore gamers adressable by nintendo. Their plan is to keep making their games inside their little bubble and selling them to the other smal bubble of their fans, while trying to find some new way to capture the imagination of young kids and families like they did with the wii if they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back