Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

It cannot look worse in terms of "tech". Down to the last electron, real life is obviously perfectly real after all. It can definitely look a lot less pleasant or drab or what have you though. Nothing paradoxical about that.

The funny thing is that I don't think so. It's more about how real life is sometimes just not that super amazing looking :)
Wrong tread? This is the IQ thread. And any game looking like that in realtie gameplay would be praaised for its realism, contact shadows, materials and lighting. Your criticisms were for art (and composition), not tech.

Is it really possible for real life to look worse than computer graphics? I think the concept itself is paradoxical. Computer graphics were created by real life, thus they cannot look better.
When we create self conscious robots and the creation surpass the creators, you'll eat your words.

Is it really possible for real life to look worse than computer graphics?
human sight has limitations eg it if you were standing here looking at this scene, I wouldnt be surprised if you see it more closer to the first photo than the second, as the second is enhanced, perhaps gathers more light than our eyes do.
or just now I look outside at direction of the sun, it all looks white, if I squint I can sort of faintly make out clouds, but if I take a photo the clouds a very visible.
Next time you're outside look at a roadsign, now move your eyes just ~5 degrees, you will not be able to read that roadsign! i.e. we only see clearly in a very limited part of our vision FOV.
(perhaps in future when we're able to do true 3d, by tracking a viewers eyes and focusing on what they're focusing on )
WRT to LaaYosh's photo I'm pretty sure if they added/enhanced the shadows under the people it would feel better/more grounded to all of us here, even though its less like how we perceive reality.
DROID-Maxx-2-Pictures-8.jpg

DROID-Maxx-2-Pictures-7.jpg

edit: Hell look at most photoshoots or films, they artificially light most of the scenes (to improve them visually) In real life if they were to show what a person sees getting chased through the woods at night, they would just show a near black screen, not much fun for the movie watcher.

The Evil eye, Its not just graphics but also gameplay.
People (most) don't want realism (for most games), watch the vids of the uncharted 4 gameplay theres no way a person is physically able to do that (scale a cliff in a couple of seconds and then come out fighting).
Do people really want their onscreen character to collapse heavily breathing on the ground for half an hour before they can get up and walk again or after getting shot and then wait a week/month before they can move freely again. Even the situations, how many games revolve around people going to work for 40hours a week.
People want uber reality

Or how many games have characters that require to go to toilet mid level?
I can only think of Binary domain where you fight off against enemies outside the toilet while your teammate is busy "resting" inside.

Changed the Console Wars have.

Elsewhere discussions the Caveat Wars exist.

or there hasn't been anything of interest of late that we don't get from a DF article.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter what it is. Kojima said he doesn't have an engine yet. Game is at least 3-4 years away. I have no idea why the trailer claimed to be real time. Maybe he's using something temporarily, but it won't represent the final product at all.

Doesn't matter what it is. Kojima said he doesn't have an engine yet. Game is at least 3-4 years away. I have no idea why the trailer claimed to be real time. Maybe he's using something temporarily, but it won't represent the final product at all.

He said he narrows the choice between two engines and I know it is not UE 4.0 from one of my source working on a french exclusive PS4 games.

for common 3rd party engines, thats down to cry engine and unity. Unless Sony provide them with their in house 1st party stuffs. Killzone engine is quite possible, works out greatly for Until Dawn beside the poor frame rate lol.

Back