Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was specifically addressed in the article. Essentially, MS had the legroom to increase their clocks because of their cooling solution and their external PSU. In short, the very things that PS4 consumers hate would need to be implemented (larger console, external power brick), and even then, the article states the boosts wouldn't make any more of a difference in the end comparison as they did when MS did it for the XB1.
I realise they are not direct equivalents (e.g. PS4 is GCN2 not GCN1, more shaders but lower clock), but the TDP difference between the HD 7850 and RX480 is only 20W at worst (130W for 7850, 150W at worst for RX480).

I realise they are not direct equivalents (e.g. PS4 is GCN2 not GCN1, more shaders but lower clock), but the TDP difference between the HD 7850 and RX480 is only 20W at worst (130W for 7850, 150W at worst for RX480).
Both XB1 and PS4 use 2nd gen GCN as their base, which the semi-custom solutions were built from

Both XB1 and PS4 use 2nd gen GCN as their base, which the semi-custom solutions were built from
Yes, I acknowledged that, but GCN2 AFAIK did not noticeably reduce max power consumption. Pitcairn's performance/watt is the equal of newer Radeons until Fury.

All the marketing hype aside in that video the chances of this thing actually running games at 4K seems pretty far fetched. I could possibly see some games come close if it's a single player campaign that is targeting 30fps...but even then. I think we are more likely to see 1440p/1800p dynamic res @ 60Fps .

Well, it is about in theory 4.6 times a XBO (strictly flops) where 4k is 4X 1080P, so in theory you can do 1080P XBO gfx at 4k without issue and a little to spare.

The question is would anybody be happy with strictly that? No real improvement just 4K now? Probably not. So, yeah.

Would Scorpio require a 32MB ESRAM pool to be 100% compatible with all currently released Xbox One games?
Or would a certain amount of software emulation in combination with Scorpios brute force be all that is needed to run all preexisting Xbox One games?
Or is none of that needed?

Well, it is about in theory 4.6 times a XBO (strictly flops) where 4k is 4X 1080P, so in theory you can do 1080P XBO gfx at 4k without issue and a little to spare.

The question is would anybody be happy with strictly that? No real improvement just 4K now? Probably not. So, yeah.
The big lift will be for VR experience or 1080p TV gaming.

Todd Howard himself said that they are bringing Fallout 4 to VR. Now thats not possible on console unless the hardware can hit 60fps minimum. They certainly aren't aiming for 4K 60fps on VR. So obviously here is one example that the Scorpio should be able to hit 1080p @ 60fps or 2160 x 1200 res of Occulus and 60-90fps. (possibly cpu limited and thus unable to maintain 90fps)

Well in fairness a lot of games on XBO don't run at full 1080. Well yeah I forgot to think about settings. Console games tend have some settings scaled back so maybe 4K close to 60fps at medium settings.

Well in fairness a lot of games on XBO don't run at full 1080. Well yeah I forgot to think about settings. Console games tend have some settings scaled back so maybe 4K close to 60fps at medium settings.

Plenty of games on consoles can't manage a solid 30fps, making 4K 60Hz a very stretching target but you know what I've learned from having a Geforce 1080-based gaming PC attached to my 4K TV for the past two weeks? Gaming on the TV with a controller at 8ft away the difference between 4K/UHD (3840x2160) and the step down 2560x1440p is imperceptible. I can see no difference between 4K and 1440p with solid AA.

So if Scorpio can't mange 4K 60H in all cases, dropping back to 1440p isn't going to be noticeable for most people. 1440p over 1080p is a dramatic reduction in perceivable jaggies.

Plenty of games on consoles can't manage a solid 30fps, making 4K 60Hz a very stretching target but you know what I've learned from having a Geforce 1080-based gaming PC attached to my 4K TV for the past two weeks? Gaming on the TV with a controller at 8ft away the difference between 4K/UHD (3840x2160) and the step down 2560x1440p is imperceptible. I can see no difference between 4K and 1440p with solid AA.

So if Scorpio can't mange 4K 60H in all cases, dropping back to 1440p isn't going to be noticeable for most people. 1440p over 1080p is a dramatic reduction in perceivable jaggies.
You obviously need a bigger TV then. ;)

Todd Howard himself said that they are bringing Fallout 4 to VR. Now thats not possible on console unless the hardware can hit 60fps minimum. They certainly aren't aiming for 4K 60fps on VR. So obviously here is one example that the Scorpio should be able to hit 1080p @ 60fps or 2160 x 1200 res of Occulus and 60-90fps. (possibly cpu limited and thus unable to maintain 90fps)
Anything under 90 FPS (real, individual frames, not re-re-re-warped!) is unacceptable for VR, I don't know what Sony is smoking when they think abusing async warping to double the framerate is a solution

Would Scorpio require a 32MB ESRAM pool to be 100% compatible with all currently released Xbox One games?
Or would a certain amount of software emulation in combination with Scorpios brute force be all that is needed to run all preexisting Xbox One games?
Or is none of that needed?

I think they could compensate with the higher amount of bandwidth, unless ESRAM latency is a issue.

Anything under 90 FPS (real, individual frames, not re-re-re-warped!) is unacceptable for VR, I don't know what Sony is smoking when they think abusing async warping to double the framerate is a solution
And thus Sony is not allowing anything under 90fps on PSVR :D

How many XBO games play at a locked 1080p? The perception from my massive MS fanboi mate is that Scorpio will deliver 4K60. lol

How many XBO games play at a locked 1080p? The perception from my massive MS fanboi mate is that Scorpio will deliver 4K60. lol
Depends how you define 1080p. Do you define it by the video signal output to the display device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back