TES V: Skyrim

So they're outsourcing it. You think that could be done without supplying the sourcecode? Not unless you'd want the job to take 5 years or so for reverse engineering and rebuilding the whole shebang by 50 devs... ;)

Console version would be a very different branch so I very much doubt a 64bit version would be a matter of right-click->build64

No, I guess you think I'm talking about some bloody mod. I'm talking about Bethy's own re-release. I have been, the whole time.

What on earth you smoking, Dav? :p

Skyrim is not an open source game so you cannot touch the executable and only Bethesda is able to modify and compile it for the 64bits.
It is a game for console and so it is 32bits. When a console game is "ported" to PC, it needs some few adjustments but mainly the code is the same. Making a 64bits version requires to compile the source to 64bits and several things change. It is not enough to do a build64. It needs a specific version for the PC. As you can see here (http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/), the market for the game is mainly for the console while only 14% is "reserved" to PC users. So in general there is not so much interest for Bethesda to work on a specific 64bits version for the PC. In addition, he is working on the TES VI, so i do not think you will see a Skyrim 64bits (never).

Skyrim Reloaded - SKGE is a multipatch dll plugin that, with the help of SKSE, is able to patch several parts of the game (like Oblivion Reloaded - OBGE for Oblivion). I am the only active developer at today (sometimes i find Ethatron here who gives me some tips) because the other developers have left. Also i have not so free time for modding but i am bringing ahead the work a bit at a time.
SR is able to inject custom shaders into the Creation Engine hooking directly the game engine (so the power is that SR doesnt work on the directx but directly on the Skyrim's code, this makes it a "real extension" of the game with full compatibility, high performance and a total integration like a Bethesda patch).
Anyway no sources exist, so lot of time is required to understand how to patch. But i am a 20 years developer and i am quite good to develop and to reverse the code but i spend a lot of time when i have to modify/create a shader because i am not a shaders developer, so i need to look for a solution on internet and to try to apply it. The shader genius is Ethatron :) but is seems very busy :)

No, I guess you think I'm talking about some bloody mod.
your reply was in response to alenet saying the reloaded mod cant break the 3.5 gb limit

Alenet: "reloaded cant break the 3.5gb barrier"
Grall "it can be done cos bethesda are porting skyrim to consoles"
Davros: "yes but bethesda have the sourcecode, the reloaded mod group dont"
Grall "are you saying bethesda dont have the sourcecode"
Davros "no the skyrim reloaded people dont have the sourcecode"
Grall "So they're outsourcing it"

so either you think bethesda are outsourcing the making of the skyrim reloaded mod or your confused with the console port

I don't know who's doing the skyrim remastered re-release, and I don't care; Bethesda, or some 3rd party they might perhaps outsource to. It's not important to me.

My original reply was from the perspective that bethesda would not be limited by 32-bit memory addressing/3.5GB RAM, because they're free to port the game to 64-bit, where that is no longer a concern. That is all.

they do, but bethesda arnt the ones making skyrim reloaded.

So they're outsourcing it. You think that could be done without supplying the sourcecode? Not unless you'd want the job to take 5 years or so for reverse engineering and rebuilding the whole shebang by 50 devs... ;)

"so they are outsourcing it" is in direct reply to me talking about skyrim reloaded

I was talking about bethsoft's re-issue and assumed you were also. Are we all on the same level now? Okay, good! :)

Console version would be a very different branch so I very much doubt a 64bit version would be a matter of right-click->build64
That depends quite a lot upon the source code. For 32-bit to 64-bit in particular, it can be precisely that easy depending upon how the code was put together. The main differences between the two are:
1. Sometimes certain integer types (such as "long") have different sizes in the different compilation modes.
2. Pointers are 64-bits rather than 32-bits.

Sometimes there is low-level code which assumes that certain integer types or pointers have a precise number of bits. Typically these are really terribly written pieces of code, but in those situations where the precise number of bits really is important, they should use integer types with that specific number of bits (e.g. int32, int64). In a large codebase, it may be difficult to track down all of the locations in the code which assume a specific number of bits, especially as breaking that assumption can create hard-to-debug issues such as BSOD's.

The consoles themselves have other differences besides just 32-bit vs. 64-bit, however. Those can be much more impactful, as the API's themselves are different. It shouldn't be such a big deal since these games were already ported to the PS3 and XBox 360, meaning that they are already designed to be cross-platform.

Personally, I just wish they'd fix the problem that the physics engine is tied to framerate, and assumes 60fps :(

I've got a big beautiful 144Hz monitor, and I have to set it to 60Hz with Skyrim or else there are glitches all over the place.

So with Special Edition due in a day or two (appeared on my Steam Games list ready to download), thought I'd bump this thread for discussion.

One of the biggest benefits over the visual shader enhancements they've put in, is a true 64bit program. Finally modding won't have to deal with the workarounds and hacks to prevent the inevitable CTDs.

I'm really looking forward to replaying Skyrim. I never made it through the DLC and when I finished building my gaming PC in June I set about researching mods to overhaul Skyrim and spent hours and hours only to realise I'd have to accept a bunch of issues and a lot of inconsistency in visuals across the world.

Then Bethesda announced the remaster, so perfect timing :yes:

Back