Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion Archive [2016 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the flora and fauna in Chernobyl is healthy. It's only the movies adding a desaturation filter that makes post-apocalypse look dead. Past the 'ash phase' where everything's covered in dust, it'll all look normal and green again.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/chernobyl-...e-abandoned-ghost-town-pripyat-photos-1523628

And a lot of the 'grey and dead' look from those photos is just because it was Soviet Russia! Plus grass is exremely resilient and will get everywhere. We put plant-killing poisons on our lawns to kill everything expect the grass coz it's well 'ard!
Flora and Fauna, they look healthy indeed.
latest

I'm kinda sure that there are mutations of all kinds in the Chernobil area, but it might not even be visible at a first glance. And all the animals who got cancer have probably died long ago.

Fallout 4: Far Harbor update fixes PS4 performance
But its visuals take a hit.

Bethesda has announced that a solution is readily available, ahead of the patch's arrival. Simply deleting the expansion from your hard drive, and then downloading a newly updated build of Far harbor from the PSN servers is said to solve the problem. Our tests show this is very much the case, and the update gives PS4 a remarkable turnaround in frame-rates - though, perhaps inevitably, not without a drawback.

Far Harbour PS4 after re-downloading:

latest

Bravo,
Bethesda, bravo! :nope:

Does that mean it's now going to look worse on PS4 than XBO? Did they just reduce the amount of fog? Get rid of the V-sync? And why wasn't it running at least as well as the XBO in the first place?

This isn't running on PCs here where you have a near infinite number of hardware permutations. There's 2 consoles you have to test it on. This should have been noticed before the DLC was released.

I know, I know. It's Bethesda, what am I thinking expecting them to actually test something before releasing it?

Regards,
SB

Does that mean it's now going to look worse on PS4 than XBO? Did they just reduce the amount of fog? Get rid of the V-sync? And why wasn't it running at least as well as the XBO in the first place?
Maybe the layering of alpha effects are one of those edge cases where ESRAM earns it's money.

Very much so. But IMO brute-forcing fog with particles is a really poor solution. Surely a compute powered depth-based solution is a better method..

Well, it's running much better on PS4 now on many areas. So maybe they should lower the fog in the XB1 too? A bit early to say esram is worth its money when it sometimes runs like this on XB1 IMO.

nNvsp86.jpg

Well, it's running much better on PS4 now on many areas. So maybe they should lower the fog in the XB1 too? A bit early to say esram is worth its money when it sometimes runs like this on XB1 IMO.
Better than PS4 before they diminished effects from the defining plot point of the island: the evil fog!!! :runaway:

I completed the DLC on PS4 before the update and my experience was the issues were fairly localised to areas outside of major questing areas which were fine. My next playthrough will be on PC with mods galore :yes:

nNvsp86.jpg
Well, they almost removed all of the ground-fog. It some locations it is still there, but not so intense as before. And most times it is just missing.
Strange "performance fix" and strange that DF is happy with the reduced quality
Now theDLC has almost only the "classic" game fog .. well
Isn't the xbox the console that should have problems with alpha effects?

Well, they almost removed all of the ground-fog. It some locations it is still there, but not so intense as before. And most times it is just missing.
Strange "performance fix" and strange that DF is happy with the reduced quality
Now theDLC has almost only the "classic" game fog .. well
Isn't the xbox the console that should have problems with alpha effects?
You are right, It has serious problems with alphas on the video indeed.

You are right, It has serious problems with alphas on the video indeed.

Yes but much less so than the PS4 which has even worse problems with alphas, evidently.

Perhaps it's as DSoup mentioned, the ESRAM is paying off here. Perhaps memory contention is exacerbating the problem on PS4. It's just a bit strange.

Regards,
SB

Or perhaps Bethesda just didn't spend as much time optimizing the PS4 version like they did at launch with the base version. Remember how poorly that ran?

I remember people jumping to conclusions when The Witcher ran worse on PS4 and look how that turned out.

Maybe they do benefit from the ESRAM. But I wouldn't make any judgement based on a Bethesda game, but that's just me.

Or perhaps Bethesda just didn't spend as much time optimizing the PS4 version like they did at launch with the base version. Remember how poorly that ran?

I remember people jumping to conclusions when The Witcher ran worse on PS4 and look how that turned out.

Maybe they do benefit from the ESRAM. But I wouldn't make any judgement based on a Bethesda game, but that's just me.

We'll have to see if Bethesda can put the fog effects back in without tanking FPS. It's just strange that it happened in the first place. With the Witcher they were able to fix the performance problems without affecting the graphics quality. This is something completely different thus far.

And yeah my post before that one already hinted at Bethesda's incompetence. The fact that the DLC was released on PS4 in that shape in the first place is proof of that.

Regards,
SB

It's not a judgement call. MS's choice of ESRAM earns its money in this case. That isn't saying ESRAM was the better choice overall nor that this is the best way to implement fog nor that PS4 will always have a fog (and smoke) disadvantage, nor any other extrapolation. It's just a benefit of this particular design choice; a software solution for which XB1 has the advantage with its design.

So one will launch this year at 4TF and the other one year later at 6TF and more cash?
These generations are all messed up now! Couldn't just like text each other and get them closer together? Is Scorpio going to get games made for it, unlike Neo? What's the point of each now?

SO! CONFUSING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back