The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2016 edition

It does delay a purchase for me. I'm primarily a Sony gamer but always end up with two consoles. The Slim with the 4K is so enticing but I know the price will drop when Scorpio arrives. At that point the console graphics whore in me will ache for the Scorpio.

I was already kinda waiting on the release of Titanfall 2. I'll probably re-evaluate then. The slim is so nice though.

how much ram can we expect? 8 GB?

12 chips. Going to guess 12 GB. 6 GB is unlikely. :)

HA!

It shows 12 chips on the top side. Don't know if there are any chips on the bottom, so using current density chips that would be 12 GB or 24GB. Though there's going to be higher density chips next year, so it could be higher with only 12 chips.

Also with 12 chips and 384bit buss, it's doubtful to be GDDR5x or HBM given the PCB Render shown.

Also with 12 chips and 384bit buss, it's doubtful to be GDDR5x or HBM given the PCB Render shown.
no GDDR5x nor HBM? Aren't you missing anything? I don't expect it to be classic GDDR5, so if it's not either GDDR5x nor HBM, that doesn't leave many options to engineers and imagination..

I guess the most telling is the 12 chips and 320GB/s which is obviously 384bits of gddr5. The slowest bin of gddr5x would make it 480GB/s like the latest rumored PS4 Neo specs I saw on the internet.

For 320 GB/s bandwidth, Microsoft could use GDDR5 running at 6.66 GT/s.
For that magical number by that year, the DRAM could be bought for a soul song if purchased on the sixth hour of the sixth day of the sixth month.

Last edited:
All model S' comes with the new revised controller. This has already been confirmed a number of times.

Incredible value for those that want 4k UHD BR player for $300.

Shame that (apparently?_ the 299 version is only 500GB. It's really squeezing it. At least give us 1TB at 299, so that it's an improvement on the price/storage options that we have now.

I really liked the microsoft e3 event. Great new hardware and amazing news for pc gamers like me. Good if not great job MS!

Gears 4 looked really really good. Have to check it out again but maybe most impressive graphics I've seen so far of show.

HA!

It shows 12 chips on the top side. Don't know if there are any chips on the bottom, so using current density chips that would be 12 GB or 24GB. Though there's going to be higher density chips next year, so it could be higher with only 12 chips.

Wow so they are upping the RAM too? This thing is a monster. I expected it to stay at 8GB.

Phil Spencer is doing incredible moves, putting the brawny Scorpio specs front and center was like a way of saying "the real Xbox is back". Xbox has always been strong in the grunt dept until Mattrick/XBO. I'd say it's a defining characteristic of the brand and it's back.

On graphics, things were either running on Scorpio or PC - IMO ;)

The IQ even over the feed was really good, and FH3 was really clean, seemed much cleaner than the current version. Gears 4 at first glance was...well wait they did say running on the S with HDR right?

Well for a HD VR and 4K capable system you will need more than the current 5Gigs of ram just to support the higher resolutions. The Sony PS4 Neo is rumored to allow another 512megs to be used by games for the higher needs of VR and that's not targetting 4k.

320 GB/s of memory bandwidth is exactly the same amount of bandwidth you can find in the brand new GTX 1080, which uses GDDR5X, while the 1070 has 256GB/s bandwidth, and uses classic GDDR5

320 GB/s of memory bandwidth is exactly the same amount of bandwidth you can find in the brand new GTX 1080, which uses GDDR5X, while the 1070 has 256GB/s bandwidth, and uses classic GDDR5

384 bit memory interface versus 256 bit memory interface, along with different speed grades of memory.

Regards,
SB

Maybe the 3d render they have shown is not representative, and the misdirection is a ploy for world domination.

I still don't get why they use GDDR5, isn't it old and not power consumption friendly? Either that or it is like nVidia's Maxwell, which increased the cache making it unnecessary to use more memory bandwidth, or it's using new compression techniques like in Pascal so you don't need a higher memory bandwidth.

sebbi mentioned that some time ago, when he said that current memory bandwidth can't be compared to bandwidth numbers of the X360 era, because the Xenos' eDRAM was not as efficient as the bandwidth in modern devices, so Xenos was easier to emulate than numbers initially suggested with its huge -at the time- 256GB/s bandwidth.

I'll go with that the render isn't completely representative. I guess I'm not buying a 384-bit bus. The math for a 320 GB/sec number works out nicely to a 256-bit bus with 10 Gb/sec GDDR5x. I think GDDR5 on a 384-bit bus would be really power inefficient for an embedded solution.

That was very specific location to be showing for a representation of the internals, and I would guess that it's for the very specific reason for showing those things. It would be somewhat irregular to so that specific number of memory devices if the console has something different because everyone knowsthat the second press receive samples they will tear it down and compare those items.

I still don't get why they use GDDR5, isn't it old and not power consumption friendly? Either that or it is like nVidia's Maxwell, which increased the cache making it unnecessary to use more memory bandwidth, or it's using new compression techniques like in Pascal so you don't need a higher memory bandwidth.

sebbi mentioned that some time ago, when he said that current memory bandwidth can't be compared to bandwidth numbers of the X360 era, because the Xenos' eDRAM was not as efficient as the bandwidth in modern devices, so Xenos was easier to emulate than numbers initially suggested with its huge -at the time- 256GB/s bandwidth.

Cost. It's more expensive than DDR, but DDR is too slow. And GDDR5x and HBM are a fair bit more expensive hence no GDDR5x on a graphics card that has an MSRP of almost 400 USD. And the only 2 products with HBM so far are the Fury series and a Pascal Tesla part which currently costs over 10,000 USD a piece IIRC.

Regards,
SB

Also if they are going for 16 ,24 or 32 gigs of the stuff then HBM 1 is out of the question and I would think HBM 2 would be to expensive and I don't know what the max amount they can put .

I'm guessing this is using the smaller vega which is vega 11 ? Its very bold of Ms to announce tflops so early , do you think they made a deal with AMD that no one can buy a higher tflop chip for a console in 2017 ? It would be very weird for them to give sony such an open target to one up them with

Back