The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2016 edition

One more thing I don't get is 4K @ 60 (Spencer specifically said this with "no compromise in IQ") when you have something like a 1070 (6.5TF) struggling at north of 30fps on the latest titles.

I didn't get that either, but DSoup corrected me in another thread and says that he currently plays GTA V in 4k at 60fps, so obviously it's entirely possible at lesser hardware than the 1070.

Nonsense, a 1070 can easily do 60 FPS at 4k. So can a 290X, Fury or a 980ti.

You just have to play around with the settings. More often than not you'll get it to a place that is almost indistinguishable from the same game at max graphical options.

Regards,
SB
Agreed. There are certain options in "ultra" that don't scale as well as others as soon as resolution continually gets bumped.

These cards can get close to ultra @ 60fps if 1 or 2 bottleneck features are turned down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't hit 4k60 in demanding titles. The 1080 is struggling to do that even when overclocked and it is a 8.2+ tflop GPU. Probably 4k30 is the current aim although i think we might see upscaled games anywhere from 1440p-2160p to hit consistent perf.

The 1080 can easily do 60 fps in any title on the market. A friend of mine has been gaming at 4k60 fps on a Radeon R9 290 for the past year or two.

Everybody doesn't play games at benchmark settings. And consoles have never matched maxed out PC graphical settings.

I find it amusing that people are assuming Phil Spencer means 4K60 FPS at Maximum Ultra ridiculous PC settings. It's obviously going to be console settings tailored to the hardware. In which case it'll be easy to do 4K60 at medium to very good graphics settings.

Regards,
SB

PSVR costs $399 and VR isn't really comparable here, still a niche market.

Huh? What do you mean? The only reason for the NEO to exist is to get a better experience for the PSVR. That's the entire reason that Sony is launch PS4.5 rather than launching a next gen console like the Scorpio - because they needed a performance boost in order to showcase PSVR.

I give the overall conference a 7.5. The saving grace was good price for the S and Scorpio announcement at the end. Games shown were a bit all over the place in terms of quality for me. Would have been a 6 without Scorpio announcement.

Huh? What do you mean? The only reason for the NEO to exist is to get a better experience for the PSVR. That's the entire reason that Sony is launch PS4.5 rather than launching a next gen console like the Scorpio - because they needed a performance boost in order to showcase PSVR.

Lol

"Next-gen console" Next gen would mean X1 support drops immediately after Scorpio launch which won't happen. Cross platform development means that the Scorpio is still a mid-gen upgrade.

Last edited:
"Next-gen console" Next gen would mean X1 support drops immediately after Scotpio launch which won't happen. Cross platform development means that the Scorpio is still a mid-gen upgrade.

Going by that, I don't think Microsoft is ever going to have a next gen console again. It's likely going to be an update every 3-4 years. I'm expecting Sony will likely follow the same way.

In which case perhaps Nintendo will be the only console maker to ever have next gen consoles. :D Unfortunately, they'll probably still not be as powerful as the Microsoft and Sony not-next-gen consoles.

Regards,
SB

Announcing the Scorpio 18 months early... this move reeks of desperation.

I hope they considered the Xbox One sales soccumbing to the Osboune effect. That would be the final nail in the coffin for a poorly received product (at least outside the US).

Getting the specs out so they can keep people from switching from Xbox One to PS4 Neo, or hold out from buying Neo to get Xbox One instead if they're undecided. At this point, I think they'll just sell xbox one aggressively at a cheap price, if they can, but have bailed on trying to compete for a huge market share. The good news is that has led to them paying more attention to their PC market, which they've neglected for a long long time. Now all those exclusives are coming to pc, which is a big market for them.

Announcing the Scorpio 18 months early... this move reeks of desperation.

I hope they considered the Xbox One sales soccumbing to the Osboune effect. That would be the final nail in the coffin for a poorly received product (at least outside the US).

18 months? Slight exaggeration. But it's still a bit ahead. I expect them to go on sale around Sept. - Oct. So about 15-16 months. :D

I'm sure part of it was to beat Sony to an announcement. But I think part of it also was the Xbox team's attempt to apologize to current and former Xbox owners about how they screwed up the execution on XBO. And to let them know they have been heard. And to please stop switching to the other console.

Regards,
SB

To me Microsft won this round, as exclusive coming tonPC is good news to me.
Now I'm not super fond of thé Scorpion, as it may give insentive to Intel and NVIDIA to seriously promote gaming on competing OS.

Last edited:
Nonsense, a 1070 can easily do 60 FPS at 4k. So can a 290X, Fury or a 980ti. You just have to play around with the settings. More often than not you'll get it to a place that is almost indistinguishable from the same game at max graphical options.

This so much. Geforce 1080 here and the difference between Ultra and Very High settings are not perceptible to me (GTA V, Unity, Far Cry Primal, Elite Dangerous, Witcher 3) but they're the difference between a solid 60+ or 30-50 fps at 4K. And no doubt dropping to High settings for some options are similarly imperceptible. Maybe keyboard + mouse in front of a monitor, but my PC is attached to my TV and I game using a controller like a console.

This is what Scorpio is aiming for, 6Tf sounds ample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading through GAF, seems like a lot of people don't get why Scorpio was announced. "Now won't buy a slim just waiting for Scorpio. "

When in reality MS wants you to buy into the ecosystem. Eventually there is going to be a Scorpio slim. Don't fool yourself. If you get XBO now you choose when to upgrade to Scorpio and it can be on your terms. If you decide to swap to PC then you don't get penalized.

There's no reason for me to sell XBO it won't compete with my PC (when I make that GPU purchase) but it will enable me to play my games anywhere still. Still has media capabilities the Scorpio and slim don't have natively.

I don't see XBO holding anything back. And I will certainly enjoy gaming XBO games on my 1080.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alas, it seems to me that they don't care about the XB1 anymore but about the ecosystem. Well, it was never going to be successful no matter what, so it was an uphill battle, one lost from the very beginning, but still..

It's not like there aren't going to be great games on xbox one over the next year. No shortage of great games this fall. Doubt that will change in 2017.

Watching this late after following the news through your comments here while at a line at the bank...

Language-region independence. I've bitched about this since day one. How is this not the biggest headline about the event? Ok, I know how, haha, but still, that is very important to me.

alas, it seems to me that they don't care about the XB1 anymore but about the ecosystem.

Evolving platform ecosystems that don't throw the baby out with the bathwater are simultaneously good and bad for consumers. It's great that consumers get to keep and make use of their purchases but ecosystem lock-in is a double-edged sword as it makes market disruption much more difficult. I'm not sure all of WindowsPhone's woes were solely because Android and iOS were so embedded but it certainly didn't help. As an iOS user since 2009 I'd be very reluctant to switch platforms, I simply am too invested in software on the platform. The same is true for OSX and Steam games and to an extent, PlayStation 4.

However for the platform owner - Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Steam - not having access to your purchases because you switched ecosystems is generally accepted as a deterrent for consumers switching. Enough to make locked ecosystems the golden golden goose model that everybody is chasing.

That said, given how Playstation 4 and Xbox One are shaping up, this is still going to be tough on Microsoft with Sony already having a big lead. That said, with Microsoft's expanding backwards compatibility with 360 games, plus PlayAnywhere, it's a good as time as any but a switch for an existing PlayStation 4 owners to Scorpio still means writing off thoe PS4 games unless they were bought on disc and can be resold.

This is almost certainly why Microsoft announced Scorpio crazily early - well, that and the leaks and the announcements that Sony aren't; talking about Neo. Let's see if this forces their hand. Microsoft only need to get potential PS4 buyers to pause to think on pulling the trigger on a Sony purchase. Were I not already knees deep in Sony's ecosystem it would give me pause to think twice about jumping in now.

Interesting times on console land :yes:

Back