Middle Generation Console Upgrade Discussion [Scorpio, 4Pro]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So GDDR5x confirmed because of the bandwidth. 256 bit bus also.

Can still be 8 or 16 gb.

The layout render shows 12 dimms on the top so isn't that a 384 bit bus?
Also 12 or 24 gb if its double-sided.

I copied that post into this thread, so scroll back a few posts. :)

interesting times ahead, competition between sony and MS will be at it's highest.
I'll stick with the less powerfull neo because of PSVR(can't afford a scorpio + VR just one year later), and i hope they'll both go all out with amazing games.
DF faces off will be awesome lol
I don't think sony can/will bump up specs, maybe they'll choose the better CPU option they were hesitating on.

Xbox Project Scorpio confirmed at the MS E3 announcement.

VR Gaming
4K Gaming
4K Resolution
60Hz
6TeraFlops
320GB/s
8 CPU

Xbox One family, forwards compatible, games and accessories work on both.

No one left behind.

Holiday 2017.

Sigh - such a disappointing conference. Total failure on the model S and then Scorpio turns out to be utterly pedestrian for a Holiday 17 launch.

I'll surprised they mentioned the scorpio, thought they may have teased, maybe a phill tshirt with Scorpio on or something
It'll still be ahead of what Sony has planned for their console refresh.
you could be right, we'll see soon. The problem is Sony doesn't need to do much at the moment

It'll still be ahead of what Sony has planned for their console refresh.

Sure, unless Sony can upclock their GPU. What wasn't mention is whether or not this full Polaris 10 or mini-vega. Now, if they were launching at $399 this holiday the specs would look truly spectacular. I just think that having a 2-2.5 TF slim at < $250 and 8-10TF, HBM2 scorpio at $499 launch year, $399 second holiday is a much more compelling portfolio for 2017 holiday launch.

I think Scorpio announcement means end of console gaming for me. I really like see what each console is capable of. But now we will not see all potential of Xbox One and PlayStation 4. And Xbox Scorpio and PlayStation 4K also, because for sure there also will be newer consoles in 3-4 years after them.

you could be right, we'll see soon. The problem is Sony doesn't need to do much at the moment
MS sounded very confident that they will have the most powerful console in 2017.

I am pretty sure they know something. Unless Sony played the same game they did with PS4 and MS as well as all of us are caught by surprise again

I think Scorpio announcement means end of console gaming for me. I really like see what each console is capable of. But now we will not see all potential of Xbox One and PlayStation 4. And Xbox Scorpio and PlayStation 4K also, because for sure there also will be newer consoles in 3-4 years after them.
they will still optimise, and for the foreseeable future optimisations made for the lower one will help the more powerful one also.

I'm sure there will be games that's just not possible on the lower end console, but then what your getting is innovation quicker than having to wait for a while new generation.

MS sounded very confident that they will have the most powerful console in 2017.

I am pretty sure they know something. Unless Sony played the same game they did with PS4 and MS as well as all of us are caught by surprise again
that's a whole year(min) away.
by then more people getting entrenched in sony ecosystem, and due to their market dominance people may think that the neo is here, psvr is here, so maybe its good enough?

depends on cost and how far away between each other the releases are, etc

they will still optimise, and for the foreseeable future optimisations made for the lower one will help the more powerful one also.

I'm sure there will be games that's just not possible on the lower end console, but then what your getting is innovation quicker than having to wait for a while new generation.

I'm thinking that the worst case scenario is that any projects that have already started development will continue along like nothing happened although they might add in some extra stuff for PS4 Neo and XBO-T. But it's possible for new projects just starting some developer's may spend less time than they previous did to attempt to optimize for ESRAM usage instead falling back on whatever automatic method Microsoft has for the machine to use it as a cache. This will have some non-negligible impact assuming those developers would have optimized for ESRAM in the first place (even now not all developer's might be doing that).

But overall I don't think end users will really notice if they have or haven't. I mean something like the ground fog in the Fallout 4 DLC. People seem to fine with it's removal on PS4, and that might be a case where ESRAM optimizations is why it's playable on XBO but unplayable on PS4.

Regards,
Sb

The Xbox One/Playstation 4 have more conventional architectures than most previous consoles. Perhaps Naughty Dog/Remedy/Insert developer of choice are telling Sony/Microsoft they've already wrung almost all they can from the current gen.

If Sony were to try to match Scorpio, does anybody really think they'll even be able to make holiday 2017, let alone Spring 2017? They might be able to upclock a tiny bit as the XBox One did for the CPU but that's extent of it unless they go for a big redesign. MS is put themselves out there by revealing the specs so they're confident that Scorpio will be the most powerful console when it launches. Why are people having a hard time believing this?

As for cross-compatibility, I'm disappointed if MS will mandate this for the life of Scorpio. To me, the best way to handle it is to gradually grow exclusive Scorpio only games as the user base grows. First year, none, second year, a few, third year, more, etc. That's a gradual transition and gives Scorpio owners something to really look forward to (games fully targeting 6 TFLOPS) without completely alienating XBO users.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back