The Annual E3 Microsoft press conference thread, 2016 edition

For PC, anything that runs Windows 10.
To some extent this conference validated my decision to buy a gaming PC hooked up to my TV instead of an Xbox, although ironically my biggest issue with Xbox One was it's size so they had me covered either way.

Because they don't want more people for whom performance is important investing further in Sony's ecosystem.

And at the same time, get people to not even bother with XBONE for over a year and a half since its going to be leaps and bounds better on hardware. I fail to see the point other than they can't move X1s at a decent rate and they dont give a shit anymore.

Someone from gaf mentioned a potential full 40CU polaris, which would make sense since 36CU polaris is rated at 5.5 tflops.

A bit on the customized Controllers from Xbox Design Labs ( https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/ ) ...

They are $80 total, so $20 more than the standard controller. If you want laser engraved Gamertag that will be another $10. While this is a bit pricier than the standard controller, its not bad at all considering the other option available from ColorWare is $100.

I feel confused. Now the real/full experience is not on the console we bought already. It is on the console that will be released earlier within the same generation.

Btw MS seems confident that they will have the most powerful console. They probably know Sony's Neo might not be as powerful.

Interesting if MS managed to reverse the stakes

I fail to see the point other than they can't move X1s at a decent rate and they dont give a shit anymore.
I don't think this is a million miles from the truth but they can hardly say that, tens of millions are invested in Xbox One.

To some extent this conference validated my decision to buy a gaming PC hooked up to my TV instead of an Xbox, although ironically my biggest issue with Xbox One was it's size so they had me covered either way.

Yup, I'm sure there will still be people that prefer the Xbox over a PC just for the living room convenience as well as not having to deal with drivers, crashes due to drivers, potential malware, Windows Update, etc. But it's nice that it gives the limited number of people that game on both PC and console (well Xbox) a choice without requiring them to buy multiple copies of a game if they feel like playing in the Living room on their console today, but in their study on their computer on a different day.

I've been saying for quite a while this was where things were headed for Microsoft after the internal power struggle resolved itself, but I did not expect them to go all in on it this year. I figured it would be next year at the soonest. And that it would be a more gradual ramp up to it.

Hell this also opens up playing your console games on a tablet if you wanted to. Assuming they weren't too demanding (like most Indie titles).

Regards,
SB

I feel confused. Now the real/full experience is not on the console we bought already. It is on the console that will be released earlier within the same generation.
When Sony and Microsoft decided on PC architecture fundamentals for hardware, it was inevitable that the dynamics of PC hardware evolution were going to impact consoles in a bigger way than the hardware just being familiar for devs.

What are they doing about the CPU. That's the main place where they can get a big advantage over PS4 Neo... otherwise diminishing returns

Yup, I'm sure there will still be people that prefer the Xbox over a PC just for the living room convenience as well as not having to deal with drivers, crashes due to drivers, potential malware, Windows Update, etc.
Oh yeah, I've still got a ton of setting up on the software side but a Windows 10 PC is nowhere close to console experience.

My guess since they specifically aim "4k" the easiest way for developers would be to make the game

900p30 or 900p60 for X1 and 4k30 or 4k60 for scorpio with maybe some small additions like better AF. That way the X1 owners don't miss on much and the Scorpio users get the better looking experience. That of course limits the Scorpio and i'm wondering for how long are they planning to support the current Xbox before moving on to the Scorpio for 2-3 years then whatever else follows up after that.
with Scorpio, they can afford to toss XBO under the bus. Games will start ringing in at 720p and there would be no concern.

I was hoping for MS to make use of the Windows platform for years and they are finally doing that (GFWL doesn't count :p). Hopefully the W10 releases will resemble Forza Apex (which is an amazing port in all honesty). With big name games coming only to W10 and the Windows Store on PC they have a chance to win a lot of people over if they deliver on what's requested (and please no Quantum Break tier ports). I think the move to a unified platform and cross buy is more important than the Scorpio or the Slim for MS imho.

This guy... lol

CdNufeJ.png

And at the same time, get people to not even bother with XBONE for over a year and a half since its going to be leaps and bounds better on hardware. I fail to see the point other than they can't move X1s at a decent rate and they dont give a shit anymore.

Probably why they added 4k bluray and hdr to the xbox one slim. Try to cash in on the home media market vs the performance gamer.

Someone from gaf mentioned a potential full 40CU polaris, which would make sense since 36CU polaris is rated at 5.5 tflops.

So a high bin part in a mass produced console? No way. Its got to be something else or this thing is going to cost too much.

Back