AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something that's been bugging me.

Are they really going to go with Rx 480? Or is the X just a placeholder? After all the previous "generations" are referred to as Rx 200 series and Rx 300 series. Perhaps deliberately using a placeholder so you don't know if it's going to be classed as a R7 or R9? Granted the 480 would imply R9 with the old naming scheme, so it would be a bad attempt at obfuscating where in the product stack it's meant to go.

Don't mind me, I'm just bored. :p

Regards,
SB

Are they really going to go with Rx 480? Or is the X just a placeholder? After all the previous "generations" are referred to as Rx 200 series and Rx 300 series. Perhaps deliberately using a placeholder so you don't know if it's going to be classed as a R7 or R9? Granted the 480 would imply R9 with the old naming scheme, so it would be a bad attempt at obfuscating where in the product stack it's meant to go.

Don't mind me, I'm just bored. [emoji14]

Regards,
SB
They have X for 10, right? Maybe if only to counter Nvidia using 10 for their Graphic cards.

They have X for 10, right? Maybe if only to counter Nvidia using 10 for their Graphic cards.

Thing is that would imply it is higher up in the product stack than an R9 which goes up to x90. Implying something like a Titan class card. Only this is most definitely a x80 class card which would have been an R9. Unless that's been moved down the product stack and becomes an R7.

Either way it seems strange. I really hate when companies have a perfectly good naming scheme and then go messing around with it making it not a perfectly good naming scheme anymore (here's looking at you Radeon 6xxx series) with regards to past products using the same naming scheme.

Regards,
SB

Anyone seen this?

bd028dae_1.png

Source: http://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-rx-400/radeon-rx-490

Seems like wishful thinking to me, but very much looking forward to what they have in store with Vega. The 480x is a surprising piece of tech for $199, hopefully they keep similar price/perf ratio for the higher end models (that's never the case but one can hope :D). If it wasn't for the convenience of some nvidia software features i'm using on a daily basis with my 970 I would've sold it to get a 480x, it seems like it is easily outperforming the 970 in 3D mark at least!

They really should just use the numbers they have before adding a suf/pre-fix. Nvidia have it right to some extent. I guess I like how AMD often make a number reflect a chip (x90 hawaii, x80 tonga etc) but this is hardly a consistent rule. Call their top chip x90, second x80 third x70 and so on. If they release a faster revision later call it an xx5. If the oems want a new name already, call it x(+1)x0.

Regarding the high temps, their whole 1% 'propaganda' campaign is based on cool, quiet & affordable. You really don't want two thirds of your selling point fall flat on the face on review day. Just saying :)

Regarding the high temps, their whole 1% 'propaganda' campaign is based on cool, quiet & affordable. You really don't want two thirds of your selling point fall flat on the face on review day. Just saying :)
AMD haven't said diddly squat about temperatures as far as I know. Why should they, it is not a consumer parameter like performance or noise (and maybe power draw at least for notebooks). Temperatures will depend completely on cooling apparatus and fan control profiles, both of which is specific to the particular supplier.

AMD haven't said diddly squat about temperatures as far as I know. Why should they, it is not a consumer parameter like performance or noise (and maybe power draw at least for notebooks). Temperatures will depend completely on cooling apparatus and fan control profiles, both of which is specific to the particular supplier.

I was alluding to the Forbes article.

So will it just be banner ads and tweets? Nope. AMD wants to pepper the streets with these posters. They’ll be doing AMAs and giving consumers direct access to Raja Koduri and other executives, not just PR and marketing people. They’ll be personally reaching out to their dissenters on forums and Reddit and saying “I know you think we make hot and loud graphics cards, but that’s all changed now.

Time will tell about the temp, we dont even know if futuremark read them correctly. what fan profile have been set.

This design with PD near the bezel and display outputs is not new by all means - even in reference cards. I think I've seen this as far back as HD 6800, some partners employed a "near bezel power circuitry" on slower cards even before that. Albeit, they didn't have a swiss cheese PCB to let the radial fan take in air from the back (that I've only seen in 7900 GX2/HD 2900 XT OEM and later GTX 470/480.)

Looking forward to seeing this design in action.

If AMD can't get a ~150W card to run quietly, then they are truly lost to us.

I wouldn't worry. Much, anyway. ;)

Like they did with the 4xxx line, but this isn't going to happen, performance isn't close enough to create that kind of backlash.
With the HD 48x0, they could compete performance wise with a die size less than half as big as Nvidias GT200. The combination of factors allowing for that IMHO is just not there atm.

So it's a good strat for AMD right now, focussing the "enough performance, low price" segment, which is going to be pretty huge. They just need to be convinced by AMD to buy an RX 4x0 right now and not wait until the correspondingly priced Geforce arrives because, like it or not, the majority of gamers favors the Geforce brand as unsubstantiated as that sentiment may be.

Anyone seen this?

bd028dae_1.png

Source: http://videocardz.com/amd/radeon-rx-400/radeon-rx-490

Seems like wishful thinking to me, but very much looking forward to what they have in store with Vega. The 480x is a surprising piece of tech for $199, hopefully they keep similar price/perf ratio for the higher end models (that's never the case but one can hope :D). If it wasn't for the convenience of some nvidia software features i'm using on a daily basis with my 970 I would've sold it to get a 480x, it seems like it is easily outperforming the 970 in 3D mark at least!
I hope it not „just that“. Sounds like a Fiji on steroirds which is less than they would need. Well, depending on the efficiency of the revised CUs and supporting units. But still. And HBM2 probably will keep them from going very low on a price front.

Last edited:

Don't mind me, I'm just bored. :p

Regards,
SB

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they simplified the naming scheme. There are already three digits at the end of the product's name, they could do away with R3/5/7/9 and just call everything RX.

I think/have high hopes from the overall tone of Raja Koduri's speech at the Polaris preview-event, that a simplified naming and less rebranding nonsense is entirely a possibility.

This design with PD near the bezel and display outputs is not new by all means - even in reference cards. I think I've seen this as far back as HD 6800, some partners employed a "near bezel power circuitry" on slower cards even before that. Albeit, they didn't have a swiss cheese PCB to let the radial fan take in air from the back (that I've only seen in 7900 GX2/HD 2900 XT OEM and later GTX 470/480.)

Looking forward to seeing this design in action.
RX480 doesn't have "swiss cheese PCB" though, but just really short PCB, the cooler is a lot longer and it's just normal plastic shroud where the hole for the fan is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back