Overwatch [PC] Blizzard

I took some amazing screens so you can all see how awesome my game looks, but I have no idea how I'd share pngs on this forum.

I use competetive settings to maintain 144hz+ (actually sits at around 190fps). It's easy enough to switch out config files and I'd recommend everyone give them a try as the game still looks good but feels great.

If you want to try it out, you can find the config file in C:\Users\$$$$$$$$\Documents\Overwatch\Settings. Back it up and copy over the Render.13 section, replacing the resolution and refresh to suit your monitor.

[Render.13]
AADetail = "0"
DirectionalShadowDetail = "0"
DynamicAmbient = "0"
EffectsQuality = "1"
FullScreenHeight = "1440"
FullScreenRefresh = "144"
FullScreenWidth = "2560"
FullscreenWindow = "0"
FullscreenWindowEnabled = "0"
GFXPresetLevel = "5"
LimitToRefresh = "0"
LocalFogDetail = "1"
LocalReflections = "0"
MaxAnisotropy = "16"
MaxEffectsAnisotropy = "8"
MaxExtraQualityAnisotropy = "16"
MaximizedWindow = "0"
RefractionDetail = "0"
RenderBrightness = "0.008507"
RenderContrast = "1.027341"
RenderScale = "0"
ShowFPSCounter = "1"
SimpleDirectionalShadows = "0"
SSAOEnabled = "0"
SSLRDetailLevel = "0"
TranslucentShadowDetail = "4"
TripleBufferingEnabled = "0"
UseGPUScale = "0"
WindowedFullscreen = "0"
WindowedHeight = "1003"
WindowedPosX = "0"
WindowedPosY = "0"
WindowedWidth = "1628"
WindowMode = "1"

I genuinely don't notice a difference in the quality of visuals when I'm playing, but it's super smooth and responsive, which means it's even more fun.

Last edited:
Turns out the older Intel Iris Pro models are severely ROP limited. So get ready for some "1440x900 with renderscale 50% and a mix of ultra setting" screenshots.

Holy S! Got 5 super close games today and helped to win 4 of them.

Zarya can really push a load on her own.

Also, got dominated by an enemy Zanyetta in one game...didn't know that a good player can make this character so deadly!

This is a picture I took the other night, before I realized I could start turning up a lot of graphics options.

1440x900, renderscale 50%, textures high, AF x4 or x8, AA ultra (SMAA high), everything else low or off.

fUSb.png

I'll see how "ultra" I can make the settings tonight without killing the framerate and capture a couple more pics.

Had my first games as a six man group last night. Elevates the game to a whole other level. Also had my first hackusation as a post nerf Widowmaker. Feels good man.

Small sample size, but when you're doing 6v6 groups (dynamic matchmaking tries to match group sizes) opponents have been a lot more polite and pleasant so far.

Something about yesterdays patch killed my lowly performance and I had to set everything back to lower settings again. At my previous resolution with settings lowered I now get dropped into the 50s. I was having network issues yesterday, and I hope they don't have framerate tied to netcode somehow like an ancient game.

Heh, they nerfer McCree and Widow almost exactly the way I would have done it myself. Good to see that Widow needs more commitment when sniping and McCree combo no longer insta-kills tanks at close range. Too bad no buffs in this patch.

Heh, they nerfer McCree and Widow almost exactly the way I would have done it myself. Good to see that Widow needs more commitment when sniping and McCree combo no longer insta-kills tanks at close range. Too bad no buffs in this patch.

I like the changes they made. Both heroes are still very good, but Widow requires more skill and McCree still does great damage, but only gets "easy" kills against lighter heroes. Widow's poison is still massively underrated. Very powerful against squishy heroes.

Something about yesterdays patch killed my lowly performance and I had to set everything back to lower settings again. At my previous resolution with settings lowered I now get dropped into the 50s. I was having network issues yesterday, and I hope they don't have framerate tied to netcode somehow like an ancient game.
Dunno if related: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

the server does tick at 60Hz, it's the client update rate that is lower.
we actually added what is called a 'high bandwidth option' to our custom games, that allows players to play at a 60Hz update rate. We wanted to explore what the game would be like at 60Hz, so that way, we could explore if it's possible for us to try other versions of the game with this update rate. What we've been trying to do is encourage players to play with it. It's kind of ironic that they're demanding it, it's in the game and playable, and right now we're seeing about 0.08 per cent of all matches that take place in Overwatch are actually using the feature.

It's kind of ironic that they're demanding it, it's in the game and playable, and right now we're seeing about 0.08 per cent of all matches that take place in Overwatch are actually using the feature.

That's because the high tick rate is only available in custom games, not regular match making ... If it was in regular match making it would be 100%.

According to the more interesting overwatch subreddits I visit (1,2), quite a few people are getting lower performance since the patch.

I never had problems with MCree and Widow.

I think, they should implement a mechanism that punishes same heros in a team.

E.g. You have 2, 3 or 4 Tjoboern in a team. For every additional same hero, they should decrease damage for all same hero players by 5%. Thus, when having 5 Tjoboern in a team, they each lose 25% damage output.

Positive effect:

- no game breaking over power by having multiple heros (Tjoboern can break the game with turrets in certain maps)

- an intention for players to not choose the same hero, help to make teams better

- if two still wants to use the same, the penalty is not so extreme

I really don't like any form of cap, be it hard or soft on hero choices. Part of the appeal of overwatch to me is how dynamic and interesting the cheese and counterplay can be. Generally you play a game and it's fun and normal, but occasionally you run into (or try yourself) something unusual like hero stacking and it's a ton of fun.

The problem is when playing alone with a bunch of other loners. You don't usually get to work together to solve these problems. For a game that benefits so very much from communication I'm surprised how few people talk in solo games, or even just text chat. An even smaller percentage of those few actually have strategy in mind when they speak.

I can't see 6xTorbs standing up to a Mercy, Rein, 2x Widow, 2x Pharra combo. Would be easy pickings.

With limits you wouldn't get cool and fun strats like this:

I agree that I also would prefer to have no cap.

It is just my personal experience that an army of Tjo's can break defense games and there seems to be no way to counter this.

Maybe this is a non issue on PC were you have precise control and can easily take out turrets?

Ah you're on console. Yes I've heard that Torb is much harder to deal with there. I do expect blizzard to do something about that, such as a tracking or firing rate nerf on the turret in console versions. Until then your best bet is finding people to play with who you can talk to. A reinhardt with a couple of damage dealers can basically pick off a turret at a time and work their way through them. Personally I'd favor a widow and a soldier in this case.

For solo I'd recommend Soldier 76 as he can heal but it will be tough work. Helix rockets make a big dent in their health so start with that. If you can isolate one turret while you're at a corner you can peek from - do some damage, nip into corner and drop health then go back out while the health is still active to finish it off.

You could also try Hanzo. You may have seen that his arrows have a very large hitbox meaning you can actually shoot things that are just out of sight. With his wall hack ability you shouldn't have too much trouble lining it up.

Most important is to kill off the Torb before he gets his next level 2 turret down. Level 1 turrets die very easily and many of your Torb kills will be as he's upgrading.

Last edited:
Back