NPD May 2016 Sales Results

Shortbread

Island Hopper
Legend
May NPD per GAF

Software:
  1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4) - It's either the best or second best selling Uncharted game. I think the text is implying second best after Uncharted 3, but I can't tell 100%. Either way it's a relatively large number.
  2. Doom (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  3. Overwatch (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  4. Battleborn (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
  5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  6. Minecraft (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  7. NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
  8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
  9. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
  10. Dark Souls III (PS4, Xbox One)
Hardware:
“As we head into E3 2016, it is encouraging to see such a healthy install base of the Xbox One and PS4, which currently have 43 percent higher cumulative unit sales than their predecessors at the same point in their lifecycles,” said Callahan.

Microsoft PR:
“In May 2016, gaming hours on Xbox One more than doubled compared to last year, driven by the launches of Overwatch and Doom as well as the addition of Call of Duty: Black Ops to the catalog of Xbox 360 titles playable on Xbox One,” Xbox marketing vice president Mike Nichols said in a statement provided to GamesBeat.

Congratulations Naughty Gods!!!

PS4 lead in all software titles (if you factored in the PS4 COD bundle) for the month of May.

Last edited:
Oooh, Minecraft did quite well last month on PS4. Was there a sale on that title on the platform or some kind of promotion? IIRC, both XBO and X360 versions generally sell better than PS4 version with some exceptions (like January).

Regards,
SB

Hot off the presses Aqua just posted hardware 3 minutes ago...

PS4 207,300 (+35.8% from last May)
XBO 107,100 (-23.3%)
Wii U 25,300 (-40.7%)
360 11,900
PS3 10,700

Gah, these hardware numbers are so bad. I never thought MS would get out of hardware but honestly, game consoles is on the verge of becoming a really small market, is it worth it?

Dont forget the PS4 has a year newer price cut though, people never mention that. Well, XBO officially went to 299 permanently on May 31 (not reflected in May NPD, although they were temporarily 299 for a bit recently I dont recall the exact dates, and I'm not sure people were really aware). At this rate who even knows if it will boost these sad sales.

Softwares

Note: No bundles or digital sales included (unless specified so)

May Top 10 (Combined SKU's):

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PS4) < 1m
2. Doom (PS4, XBO, PC) > 387k
3. Overwatch (PS4, XBO, PC)
4. Battleborn (PS4, XBO, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
6. Minecraft (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
7. NBA 2K16 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
9. MLB 16: The Show (PS4, PS3)
10. Dark Souls III (PS4, XBO)

Even Doom at (I assume) ~387k, that just seems anemic for 2nd place title, even if we allow 30% digital.

Surprised Battleborn placed just one spot under Overwatch, conventional wisdom was it bombed hard. Those games sales may be very digital biased though, so who knows what it looks like on a worldwide total basis vs Overwatch the story may not be so rosy for Battleborn.

XBO now lost every software except Blops 3 (PS4 bundle, although at 207k total PS4 sales it aint doing gangbusters)...

Minecraft is a beast (now best selling on PS4 Lolz).

Edit: oops my bad on the double post, apparently I have Shortbread on ignore so I dont even see his threads at all so I did not see any May NPD post.

Last edited:
Per welfare @GAF

YTD 2016 vs 2015

PS4
2015: 1.188m
2016: 1.347m

XB1
2015: 981k
2016: 896k

Wii U
2015: 326k
2016: 233k

(PS4 bundle, although at 207k total PS4 sales it aint doing gangbusters)

What? It's tracking higher than the previous year and within the slowest sales months.

Anyhow at this rate, Wii U is pretty much on life support and XB1 is wondering when his brothers Slim and Scorpio going to arrive with those jumper-cables.

May 2015 numbers, per Welfare...

PS4 Hardware:
May 2015: 152,650

XBO Hardware:
May 2015: 139,600

WIU Hardware:
May 2015: 42,700

360 Hardware:
May 2015: 25,600

PS3 Hardware:
May 2015: 19,300

--------------------------------------------------------------------

May 2016 of course.....

XBO 107,100 (-23.3%)
Wii U 25,300 (-40.7%)
360 11,900
PS3 10,700

per Aqua...

Software Publisher $ Marketshares:

Total Software: $241.9 million ($204.7 million last May) (+18.2% from last May)

Sony: 25.61% marketshare (+505.5% from last May)
Activision Blizzard: 14.96% marketshare (+124.4% from last May)
Nintendo: 8.92% marketshare (-28.9% from last May)
Take 2 Interactive: 7.69% marketshare (-20.1% from last May)
Electronic Arts: 5.23% marketshare (+32.1% from last May)
Ubisoft: 4.55% marketshare (+32.1% from last May)
=
These 6 publishers comprise 66.96% of the May 2016 software market

May 2016 of course.....

XBO 107,100 (-23.3%)
Wii U 25,300 (-40.7%)
360 11,900
PS3 10,700

God dang, XBone is taking a kicking even in 'Murica now. Sony are eating Microsoft's lunch in Microsoft's own living room.

Slim and Scorpio can't come soon enough. Hopefully before MS decide to Nokia Xbox.

Summer time for kids, no more school, nothing to do, so they pick up some cheap console system to waste the summer away, and MS announxed X360 is no longer being made so they go PS3?
Would be sadder if they thought Uc4 was coming to PS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteamSpy indicates it hit 500K by the end of May. It's seemingly ~586K as of two days ago.
http://steamspy.com/app/379720

Not too surprising that sales on PC would exceed sales on Consoles for Doom. Especially considering how good the PC version is as well its history on the platform.

Dark Souls 3 on PC is almost at 1 million units. Dark Souls 3 on PS4 + XBO is ~1.58 million (1.31 PS4, 0.27 million XBO)

Dark Souls 2 (original and First Sin) on PC is over 1.6 million unit sales. On X360/PS3/XBO/PS4 it's at ~1.67 million.

Dark Souls on PC is over 2.4 million unit sales. On consoles it's at 3.05 million unit sales (2.06 on PS3, 0.99 million X360)

I wish the internet forum meme that Games don't sell well on PC would die already. In the above if we treat PS3/X360/PS4/XBO/PC as separate platforms. Only one platform did better than PC and only on one game.

PC port quality does more to determine how well a title will do on PC than any console/PC preference.

BTW - take SteamSpy and VGChartz with an appropriate grain of salt. Both are approximations. SteamSpy should be relatively statistically accurate with a large enough sample size while VGChartz should be relatively sales report accurate using historical data from other sources.

Also I specifically used the various Dark Souls games because I believe they aren't sold on any other electronic store on PC, hence will be more representative of PC sales for the game.

Regards,
SB

Digital sales are underestimated on consoles. For many titles they approach 50% I'm betting. On PC, digital sales are closer to 100% by now I am sure.

Digital sales are underestimated on consoles. For many titles they approach 50% I'm betting. On PC, digital sales are closer to 100% by now I am sure.

IMO, it's entirely possible, although we still have people insisting that it's closer to 20%. IMO, I think the average is probably somewhere around 25-40% depending on publisher and game. Some exceptions might be lower and some might be higher.

That would allow 2 out of 8 Souls games on a different platform to have done better than a PC version of a Souls game. :)

Regards,
SB

Bad marketing maybe? I have not seen anything that I can actually remember seeing. I know I hear people still talking about how ugly the box is for them and mocking it as a VCR (which is funny as some are kids saying that, and I would not have guessed they have seen one of those). Heck my kids don't even get to see a TV unless they go to another house, as we only have projectors - which is great since there is nothing for them to touch or run into. Ha

So maybe MS has internal polling showing they are failing in some spots, and the Slim will hit a better price point and maybe carry a new look that has more gamer appeal?

PS4 is just a monster, and interesting wording out of Sony as the Neo is supposed to sit next to the PS4 and complement the experience. That wording I know is not for this thread, but has me intrigued and confused. I get the feeling Sony is happy while MS is still getting over the Mattrick era.

VCRs are everywhere...still in people's homes...in the attic, garage or yard sales and flea markets...they are still used in some places due to being easier to handle than DVDs so kids would have seen plenty.

This may give it an image of an old bulky typewriter or printer.

As for sales...lets see...I'm rather shocked that there's a PS4/PS3 baseball game there...wow.

Uncharted 4...I just visited an old friend who I don't consider a hardcore gamer and has an Xbox360 with twenty games... Hadn't seen or talked much but the PS4 controller and...holy crap it was the Uncharted 4 PS4 edition!! Really really nice...he had picked up The order and Battlefront special edition...has never played Uncharted before and I believe another non gamer friend also bought one...

Not sure if was just coincidence...I was too shocked to see that there...probably a random purchase.

And as for Rockstar Games...hey...GTA IV Completely Remake-remastered Hyper Turbo Fighting Edition...and I'll promise that the top five will be your heavy rotation...even disrupt and unseat CoD next. Place bets.

Back