Xbox One Insider Dashboard OS Previews [2016]

Cortana not available in Canada ... for reasons.

Here is the official response in the forums:

Cortana on Xbox is being released to United States and United Kingdom first. We know others are eager to get access to her...and may mutated their actual location and language to get access to her. We won't be able to get Cortana on Xbox to Canada until BOTH Canadian English and Canadian French are supported by Cortana for Far Field use. Until then US and UK English and locations are where she is available.

Tommy McClain

The same guy from Microsoft posted this in a follow-up...

f you have issues regarding your local regulations around required languages by your government, I'd suggest you take that up with your government. We'll keep working on training the far field speech recognizers for both Canadian English and Canadian French in the mean time. :)

Tommy McClain

Does he imply the Canadian government cares for what language some external service provides to an UI? I can get that for manuals and traffic signs but if this is what MS operates on they're completely under the control of rabid lawyers.

MS has just cause to be very careful whenever they release something. Look at the browser debacle in Europe as a prime example. Almost 800 million USD in fines. Forced to offer a version of Windows either without a browser (hugely unpopular) or with a browser choice. Looking at the other operating systems available, they probably thought they were safe including a browser just like every other OS in existence, because it was easy for anyone that wasn't mentally challenged to install their own browser.

So if there's any regulation at all regarding support of the French Canadian language in Canada, they are definitely not going to ignore it even if it isn't widely enforced (I have no clue if it is or isn't). If they don't do it, they open themselves up for a possible lawsuit if the Government feels like they need some extra money to balance their budget.

Regards,
SB

O/T but it's my first fresh install (rather than upgrade from Windows 7) of Windows 10, but why do I have to change a Control Panel Setting to change my default browser in a settings panel? Why not just allow the browser I'm using to set itself as default like every other OS and previous versions of Windows? I don't get what Microsoft are trying to do here - it seem designed just to it difficult for people who can't use google to solve basic niggles. :runaway:

Bad Microsoft, BAD! :yep2:

I wish PlayStation had slightly more comprehensive voice commands. All the basics work great - PlayStation, Netflix, Start, or PlayStation, BluRay, Start, but then in the actual menu there you can do nothing whatsoever. Even just up down cross select whatever would have been great.

It was always fun to go to a lawyer meeting to understand what I was allowed to say for a particular event/meeting for the next day. :runaway:

Fun stuff!

Half the time Cortana just tells me that she is not talking to the internet, and I should try again later. This is rampancy fully setting in, no? She thinks her daddy is Bill Gates, and she won't talk about her love life. Along with never needing an umbrella if the rain chances are below 98%...

fyi, as announced today at e3 you can now change your language to anything you want if you're in the preview. Set to US english so I can use Cortana. I am not encountering any of the issues some other people are experiencing. Hit rate is very good, and it's fun to mess around with questions to see what Cortana can answer.

Back