Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Yup it looks pretty good contrary to Ultra's hyperbolic post ;-)
Not really, standards have risen lately at least in graphics. This is almost subpar to me mainly due to the poor iq, low res textures and not much of anything going on. On PC at 1080p it does look somewhat good tho.

The old version seems to have more geometry, higher texture quality and better color aesthetics.
OG Mirror's Edge
mirrors-edge-oct-8.jpg

Mirror's Edge Catalyst
26487636222_1127f2fa13_o.png

featuredImage.img.jpg

I just played it for a 45min on PS4, and I like it a lot. The sense of movement from old game is preserved, which is something I wanted a lot. Game looks more than OK [nothing mind-blowing, empty city with lots of ugly lowres looking LOD elements in the far distance], but things arround you look good the moment to moment gameplay is great. Especially when the world opens up and I started encoutnering enemies that require a effort to beat in melee combat.

Framerate looks to be 60fps or very close to it. There is some tearing, but I barely notice it since world always has a same look [everything white, or everything yellow, etc]. Cinematics are choppy.

Overeall, it's good and hopefully they will iron out the framedrops before full release.

Damn, I had been expecting this to be 30fps untill now, and I had though it looked pretty good even then. The distant buildings did look flat and all, but now that this turned out to be 60fps, all is completely forgiven to me. I think all is great lookwise.

As for city aesthetics, I too thought the original looked cooler. There was a clash of how clean and sterile architecture looked from inside buildings and street level, to how slightly grittier and messy things were on the rooftops (though still quite clean) from what I saw of the beta footage, the rooftops look almost as tighty as interiors. I, don't know, it gives a certain sense that those rooftops were deliberatly made for someone to traverese through, which of course they were, by game designers, but the illusion that the player is improvising through some unintended alternate route is not as strong.

Played the beta a bit, can definitely understand the delays. I'm not sure how i feel about the open world aspect as well, loved the first one, and while this plays very much the same it doesn't seem to "get" what made the first one great. I'll have to play more to judge if anything changes.

Cutscenes also pre rendered as evident by micro blocking. What a disappointment.
Yep. I'd prefer the way cutscenes are handled on Infamous and gravity rush with 2D illustrations (which were even slightly interactive in Gravity rush, great idea). It would also save my precious Internet bandwidth. Save some energy. Reduce green house effect. Might even save the planet. :nope:

Usually you can see you are looking at a cheap CGI, and it doesn't blend well with the rest of the game (particularly when it stutters). Might as well go for 2D artwork or something similar that looks at least more polished than macro blocking artefacts and jerky animation.

I think the cut scene were recorded in engine with poor video compression. I am very very disappointed, were all other frostbite games on current gen using real time cut scene? Since pc requirements is 25 gigs free space I thought all cut scenes would be real time but instead we got poorly compressed pre recorded videos pack with the game in 25 gigs.

Played some more today, I'm liking the gameplay more and more, i like the momentum mechanic the most. Story is eh but seems interesting. They really need to tone down that AO, looks weird most of the time

04.24.2016-08.08.07.1bzkhx.jpg

04.24.2016-08.24.11.117j5f.jpg

woops :D
04.24.2016-09.00.46.0gij3i.jpg

TAA and moblur in motion
04.24.2016-08.25.13.1yvk9x.jpg

So this was released yesterday and no comments by anyone?

We are going to get it but my son needs to take his ACT first this Saturday, talk about some incessant whining......

been playing it on pc, it really is more or less the same as the original, open world design makes all the time trails etc feels like its part of the game than a seperate options if you like the original you will enjoy this.

I think it's an alright game. Free running can still be rather exhilarating, but overall the game feels like it's been put together rather joylessly. Seems likey they made it because of fan demand. Not because they really gave a crap about it themselves. Not really sure whether I appreciate the move to 60 fps at the cost of visual fidelity either. Somehow the game manages to feel less snappy than a 30 fps title like Ratchet and Clank while obviously paying heavily for it (distant geometry looks rather laughable, and the engine has major issues streaming in detailed assets in a timely manner too). In terms of accomplishment It's certainly no Doom. Not by a long shot. Much more curious is how it's nowhere near Battlefront's ballpark either. I also cannot remember a single game where the open world aspect felt this pointless. And good god, most of the side missions are simply infuriating.

Wanna parcour through a rich environmet with loads of fun things to do while enjoying some fantastic melee-based combat instead? - Go and play Dying Light.

Back