NHL17 ... ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Scott_Arm

Legend
294.gif

New features include: patricide, global warming, sexual awakening, hieroglyphs, communism, chemtrails, chat roulette, gambling and sleep optimization.

I'd like to add that this is my 9th NHL thread. Next year is going to be a big year for me. It's what I've been training for.
We all admire your dedication and will be right there with you in your celebration of ten threads of Canadian Snow Football.

I think there was about 4 seconds total of gameplay footage in that video. I know I'm looking forward to Doom.

I'll be interested in hockey games again when EA does something along the lines of NHL Hitz. :p Think of all the digihelmets and jerseys they can sell.

So is this also going to get the Frosbite treatment at some point too?

My guess would be next year. This looks like a minor update year, and it's produced out of EA Vancouver, which also produces FIFA. Because of the yearly release cycle, they tend to make major changes every 2nd release.

So is this also going to get the Frosbite treatment at some point too?
Yes and about the same time the base game will only allow 1 team member + goalie with DLC to unlock more team members up to the 6 total.

Wow, they finally made big changes to online play. They have finally brought the game in-line with the standard expectations you'd have for online gaming in pretty much any other competitive game.

Group match-making for drop-in games (quick match)
lobbies roll over from game to game
Select position before match making so people don't drop out because they can't get the position they want
Some type of mmr to match players more appropriately.
Ranks (with prestige levels)
Unlocks (player customization, celebrations etc)
anti-griefing measures
Better server selection
Visible connection quality

EASHL
customization jerseys and arenas based on team progression
better team management

New player classes

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2016/nhl-17-gameplay-series-eashl

Another recent video

I've played the beta fairly extensively. They did so many things right with player and team customization, and multiplayer matchmaking. The feature set is finally in a very good place. The problem is, the gameplay itself is a step back. I like the defensive play, and the way the players move, but passing is awful. The game needs a massive overhaul in passing play. For some reason lateral passes are horribly inaccurate. These are passes that pros make regularly in a game, not just the elite players. Basic passing is crap. It's a big issue, because it encourages selfish individual play. 6 vs 6 games are still pretty fun as long as you have very good organized players. With randoms it can be a huge mess, because the defensive pass interception and pass deflections are so strong. Now, ai goalies are another story. They're supposed to be improved this year, but they are very susceptible to goals that are eerily similar to the "cheese" or "glitch" goals of NHL09/10. Cross the blue line, cut into the middle and take a slapshot or wrist shot to a top corner. The poor passing only makes it worst, because the easiest route to scoring is variations of these shots, and it becomes a game of defending them over and over.

Overall, will not buy.

Oh, and the netcode is showing serious age. Because of the way the players move, it becomes very apparent that the game does not respond to inputs until the server has updated your position. Most games, you'd press a button or a stick and it will respond instantly locally, update the server and then the server will issue any corrections to your client based on lag compensation or sync issues with the server model. In NHL it's press the left stick and your player doesn't move until the server tells your client that your player has moved. If you have a great connection, that's fine, but a 10-20ms change in latency is very noticeable. Don't bother playing if you aren't sub 50ms, and sub 30ms is ideal. The way the players skate in the game now, they change directions slower and have a lot of momentum. Add input lag on top and the game can be unplayable, because too many elements of the game require quick reactions to play well.

Next year is my big thread anniversary, so hopefully Frostbite and some massive overhauls to the game can lead to a positive thread.

Last edited:
FIFA has become very difficult because of the same sort of gameplay latency as the players have to get into a physical state to make the kick. Unless you play it a lot and adapt to the new, slower play and perform your moves well in advance, you get clobbered by snotty little teens. (Although when you chip one of them in the opening minutes, the humiliation lasts a lifetime :devilish:)

Back