AMD: Speculation, Rumors, and Discussion (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else super intrigued about the lack of actual Polaris news / leaks since the announcement a week ago?

All we have is a Polaris 10 RX 480 reference card that will have 4-8GB of GDDR5, will cost between $199 and $249. single 6-pin power connector, up to 5.5TFLOPs and that's it.
Actually nearly 6 TFLOPS at the clocks they used at the show (1266 MHz, 5.834 TFLOPS)

More on the AOTS benchmarks for the Radeon RX480
Much as people like to ridicule AMD narketing, I have to say that they managed to reveal just enough information to get everyone with an active interest intrigued, and create a lot of anticipation and demand for in depth reviews and information. The tech websites will get their page hits! :)
Also, forum speculation has run rampant, firm positions have been taken, so once harder data is available, there will be another round of forum activity and product buzz.
Plus, a healthy bit of hesitation has been instilled among prospective GTX 1070 buyers. Pretty well played, as far as I can see.

Kinda reminds of the deceptive comment made for Fury X being an "Overclockers dream". The only hesitation I see is among potential AMD buyers as evidenced by the forum comments posted by current AMD owners:

NDA lifts on 29...and the card will be on shelves on 29.

Who is going to pre-order them on blind faith?
Only idiots.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5284403&postcount=112

The only hesitation I see is among potential AMD buyers as evidenced by the forum comments posted by current AMD owners:
It's funny how things change.
Before:
If you launch a product, and it's not available right away, it's a paper launch, boo for paper launches

Now (that NVIDIA did the above in big manner):
You launch a product, and it's available right away, only idiots will preorder one and there's all kinds of suspicion in the air

It's funny how things change.
Before:
If you launch a product, and it's not available right away, it's a paper launch, boo for paper launches

Now (that NVIDIA did the above in big manner):
You launch a product, and it's available right away, only idiots will preorder one and there's all kinds of suspicion in the air

I was just thinking the same thing. AMD used to be blasted for giving reviewers time to get a review out before a product went on sale. PAPER LAUNCH! Bad AMD. Nvidia product goes on sale the same day as reviews. Good Nvidia.

Fast forward to today.

Nvidia gives reviewers time to get review out before a product goes on sale. Good Nvidia. No calls of a paper launch. AMD product goes on sale the same day as reviews are released. Bad AMD.

But hey, it makes it easy to pick out the fan boys of each company. :)

I myself still stick with what I've been saying all these years. I much prefer product availability to come days/weeks after actual reviews. I wonder if any of those people that used to praise Nvidia for having review embargos lifted the same day as product went on sale will now blast Nvidia? I'm going to guess not.

Regards,
SB

There's some small amelioration, but honestly i will not consider an Nvidia gpu for OpenCL.. ( Pascal still seem to be OpenCL 1.2 ). But well, can only that it change.

Well, thoses prices are for insurance, and are not forcibly fixed on the true value of a proudct( and in this case it seems just to be the PCB ).

Are Apple even doing OpenCL2.0?
As for the zauba prices, I doubt these PCBs are going to India for assembly, more likely driver development.

Perhaps Koduri and co. partied too much to reveal everything at computex, we'd know whether they have a card up their sleeve, or cards, in a week or so anyway.

Nvidia gives reviewers time to get review out before a product goes on sale. Good Nvidia. No calls of a paper launch. AMD product goes on sale the same day as reviews are released. Bad AMD.
Well, you're obviously ignoring Totz, though I haven't seen him saying anything about AMD paper launching the 480 even though its delta between announcement and availability is even larger.

On the other hand, maybe you could argue argue that, just like in December, and January, and March, the 480 wasn't really launched, because we still don't actually know that much more. ;)

Well, you're obviously ignoring Totz, though I haven't seen him saying anything about AMD paper launching the 480 even though its delta between announcement and availability is even larger.

On the other hand, maybe you could argue argue that, just like in December, and January, and March, the 480 wasn't really launched, because we still don't actually know that much more. ;)
It wasn't launched, it was "unveiled" or whatever you want to call it, they made it clear by not telling the specs

Hence why I specified product going on sale as it relates to when review embargos lift. Both companies have always had some sort of product or architecture reveal, whether as white papers, architecture overviews for press or stockholders, or whatever. Often months in advance of an actual product launch (reviews embargo lifted).

Traditional launches had reviews followed by product availability after days or weeks. Nvidia started to do same day availability of product with reviews. After which traditional launches were derogatorily referred to as "paper" launches.

I'm personally glad to see Nvidia go back to a traditional or "paper" launch for the 1080/1070. But people that used to deride AMD for holding onto the practice of traditional launches when Nvidia stopped doing it should be consistent in also deriding Nvidia for now doing it again.

I've always been of the opinion that product review embargos lifting on the same day as product availability wasn't a consumer friendly practice.

Regards,
SB

More on the AOTS benchmarks for the Radeon RX480

Kinda reminds of the deceptive comment made for Fury X being an "Overclockers dream". The only hesitation I see is among potential AMD buyers as evidenced by the forum comments posted by current AMD owners:

He is absolutely right. Only idiots preorder unreleased hardware. That's not hesitation, that's spending your hard earned money wisely. You know, waiting for independent reviews and not believing that 2.1GHz on air 'cool and easy' BS.

I honestly can't tell if you're joking or not.
Something in between, it was a "trailer" or "teaser trailer" to use movie terms, for the actual release that will happen later. At least personally I see card as "launched" the day the company reveals all the technical details, which usually is the same day NDA for reviews etc ends, unless you go for paper launch, in which case reviews come later

In the end, the whole thing about what's a paper launch and what is not, and the emotions that go with it, are kinda stupid. Companies do what they think is best and that is that. (Though I don't think I'll ever understand the benefits of "pre-launching" 6 months early.)

But you're right, having reviews available before products are on the shelves is better for the consumer.

I hope they have a surprise in stock, like a RX 480X or 490 with Fury performances, around 300$...
I'm banking on this. I don't want to shell out for a 1080. I want something like the 1070 but without a deficit in async support. A 490 would be the sweet spot for me.
I believe the 280 and 290 were released about twenty days apart and a similar thing happened with the previous gen AMD cards. And the woman during the computex presentation kept referring to the $100-$300 market, not just the sub $200 market. Fingers crossed.

Are Apple even doing OpenCL2.0?
As for the zauba prices, I doubt these PCBs are going to India for assembly, more likely driver development.

Perhaps Koduri and co. partied too much to reveal everything at computex, we'd know whether they have a card up their sleeve, or cards, in a week or so anyway.

Nothing goes to India for assembly. they have just enter the system of Zauba by the boat or by air cargo. Thoses can be in transit for be tested by different AIB .. It was like that for every other, some was labeled, depart Taiwan, arrival Canada, depart Hong Kong, arrival USA etc.

We know that Nvidia dont have an assembly chain in India, well you see them too transit in the Zauba system.

As for OpenCL 2.x ... the problem is more than Nvidia dont want to support OpenCL on their gpu's. ( And i cant blame them, as they promote CUDA ) .( but this could allways change.. a driver update and it should be ok )
Been only 1.2 is not fully a problem, even in a benchmark as Luxmark, but try use it with Luxrender ( luxcore ) in internal of Blender ( mean everything, including real time render in viewport work integrated in Blender or Max ), path tracing. and things start to really not been so easy ( as Luxcore is using OpenCL 2.x branch ).

Now, i can imagine there's a lot of things between Nvidia and Apple outside OpenCL who bring this situation. ( Anyway, you will not use a Macbook for doing computing task ).

Last edited:
It wasn't launched, it was "unveiled" or whatever you want to call it, they made it clear by not telling the specs
So, GTX 970 was not launched until January 2015 instead of september 2014? :D
I want something like the 1070 but without a deficit in async support.
I feel I am kind of sensing the irony here, but maybe you're serious.

Last edited:
So, GTX 970 was not launched until January 2015 instead of september 2014? :D

I feel I am kind of sensing the irony here, but maybe you're serious.
I've heard so many times that Nvidia doesn't have a as much hardware support for async compared to AMD. And the 1080 doesn't really make any gains when DX12 mode is turned on. So I assume async is still a bit meh.

any thoughts on running this in crossfire with a 290 ? I could grab one of these 8 gigs and make it my main with my 290 as a crossfire card and then give my gf the rx when vega comes out and we will both have an upgrade

any thoughts on running this in crossfire with a 290 ? I could grab one of these 8 gigs and make it my main with my 290 as a crossfire card and then give my gf the rx when vega comes out and we will both have an upgrade

can you tell me if I can use the CF function with the RX and a 7850?

I've heard so many times that Nvidia doesn't have a as much hardware support for async compared to AMD. And the 1080 doesn't really make any gains when DX12 mode is turned on. So I assume async is still a bit meh.

As far as I know AC in pascal is still disable. and some says that the Nvidia support for DX11 is so good that they couldnt get better performance out if DX12 but that are rumours without data to back them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back