Firefox - No More Tab Groups [2015 - 2019]

Well you could have safely gone to 44 at least, its 45 that does the kill.

The most galling thing is this Addon has over 90,000 downloads which means the '0.01% users' number the Firefox devs used is complete bullshit unless there are a billion Firefox users (give or take if the Addon page code does odd stuff with counting).
I hope they will be paying attention to this.

Really liking the new GUI (is optional with the original & a couple of more minor variants) :yes:

Really? How so?
It does have options to go back to original behaviour if you don't like the new stuff.

Last edited:
Got the update yesterday, and I must say I think it's pretty awesome. I can make it work exactly as before (if I want it to), lots of new options to play with and it feels snappier as well.

Reading comments on the Addon page it looks like he's made the 'Click to open the quick access panel' option enabled by default, which was a bad idea.
That option will suit some people but I don't like it & it shouldn't be enabled by default.

Also I think he's put the Grid view as default instead of the Single view or Original interface both of which I prefer.

I'm pretty much settled on Single view with Group thumbnails off, scroll groups on as best for me.

Last edited:
All the more reason to switch to Chrome or Edge with Plugins.

If you want to enable Tab groups (and other extensions) you can always fork Firefox and do the work yourself or hire other people.

This is a bit common with software, especially open source - freeware you wrote for Windows 95 or XP will likely still run but stuff that ran on Ubuntu 8.04, Mac OS X 10.6 etc. will likely need to keep up with changes like libraryfoo 3.0 replaced libraryfoo 2.2.

The author might keep up for 5-10 years, a new maintainer can take ownership but it won't be eternal either.
When a full rewrite is needed is when you'll often see them kick it to the curb. Other times the rewrite might fail or get bogged down, abandoned or there's a hiatus in releases. Other times a piece of software stays on really old UI, doesn't care about new features etc. but there are people watching it and just making sure it compiles / work on newer OS, works with unicode characters etc., perhaps adds encryption x+2 and drops x and x+1.

But for a browser plugin, you can only go this or that far before it's toasted. What about people stuck with NPAPI plugins for something silly like some in-house or commercial program that scans something and uploads it, whatever it is. Firefox actually still has some support, Edge and Chrome have dropped the old-style plugins like a hot potato.

When Firefox won't support those extensions, you can buy a bit more time running Firefox 52 ESR.

So you hate Mozilla for giving you a browser and allowing you to change it any way you like?
I loved Mozilla for coming up with the killer core browser feature that made Firefox by far the best browser, but I hate them for letting it atrophy then dumping it out to a plugin when they were changing the engine core.

To then kill the plugin API that was used by the hero Quicksaver to rewrite the code to work with the new core is beyond the pale.

I loved Mozilla for coming up with the killer core browser feature that made Firefox by far the best browser, but I hate them for letting it atrophy then dumping it out to a plugin when they were changing the engine core.

To then kill the plugin API that was used by the hero Quicksaver to rewrite the code to work with the new core is beyond the pale.

You are incredibly entitled. Mozilla gave you a free browser (and its source code) for your use with NO STRINGS ATTACHED (no tracking etc).

Let me explain it to you in pastries.

You see a guy giving out free danish. You try one and it is the most amazing danish you ever had. The next day you see the guy again, but today he is handing out croissants.

You: Where are the danish?
Pastry guy: I felt like making croissants today. You want the recipe for the danish?
You: I hate you asshole!! I want my danish!!!

This is a bit common with software, especially open source - freeware you wrote for Windows 95 or XP will likely still run but stuff that ran on Ubuntu 8.04, Mac OS X 10.6 etc. will likely need to keep up with changes like libraryfoo 3.0 replaced libraryfoo 2.2.

The author might keep up for 5-10 years, a new maintainer can take ownership but it won't be eternal either.
When a full rewrite is needed is when you'll often see them kick it to the curb. Other times the rewrite might fail or get bogged down, abandoned or there's a hiatus in releases. Other times a piece of software stays on really old UI, doesn't care about new features etc. but there are people watching it and just making sure it compiles / work on newer OS, works with unicode characters etc., perhaps adds encryption x+2 and drops x and x+1.

But for a browser plugin, you can only go this or that far before it's toasted. What about people stuck with NPAPI plugins for something silly like some in-house or commercial program that scans something and uploads it, whatever it is. Firefox actually still has some support, Edge and Chrome have dropped the old-style plugins like a hot potato.

When Firefox won't support those extensions, you can buy a bit more time running Firefox 52 ESR.

You can always fork and make the changes you want yourself (or hire other people to do it) if you want to. Just because Mozilla does something does not mean you have to use their new code.

Well, if you hate the food served by your airline company or they stopped serving it altogether, you can always design and build your own jet liner (or hire other people to do it)

There has to be some practicality, you just can't take some huge project with like $1 billion worth of software engineering sunk into it, fork it and run with it just because you want to run some file downloading extension, in fact just dumping the source code and compiling it would be hard enough for most people.
Doesn't stop people at the Palemoon team trying to do just that, I can certainly respect them but that will be an unending task, rather a unending mountain of unending tasks and we'll see if they're still around a couple years from now.

Well, if you hate the food served by your airline company or they stopped serving it altogether, you can always design and build your own jet liner (or hire other people to do it)

Or you could just bring your own food, use another airliner or maybe even another form of transportation? I do not really see the connection to what we are discussing here...

There has to be some practicality, you just can't take some huge project with like $1 billion worth of software engineering sunk into it, fork it and run with it just because you want to run some file downloading extension, in fact just dumping the source code and compiling it would be hard enough for most people.

The LibreOffice developers did exactly what you describe. It seems to have worked out pretty good for them (and their users).

Back